Sushi?

Options
Hey all, I'm new to MFP!

I'm going to have sushi tonight, and the place I'm going has a great roll called the "Maui Wowie" that consists of shrimp tempura, yellowtail, avacado, and a pineapple salsa. I'll probably have it without avacado (blegh) but I'm not sure how to log it. I can't find any nutritional info for the restaurant.

There's a generic shrimp tempura roll and then yellowtail, and there's probably one for the salsa. Do you think this would be a pretty good estimation of the calorie intake for the roll?

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to log the sushi rice. And those rolls often have sugary or sodium laden sauces, too.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    try breaking down the ingredients individually.

I am offended about your avocado remark :)
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I love vegetarian sushi (even though I'm not a vegetarian lol) and I especially love how low in cals it is! It's impossible to get an exact calorie count for everything you eat, especially in restaurants, so I usually do one of two things. Either search for such-and-such type of sushi in MFP and choose the one that looks closest to what you're having, or enter each component in individually. And you really have to be honest. If MFP says its 100 cals and you're stuffed, chances are it's way more. I usually try to overestimate, too, to leave room for error.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good idea on what to do. I tend to stay away from anything fried with sushi because there are SO many other ones that are yummy. But I also know about having a special something that is so good. We get one with a crab salad on top that is yummy (an has mayo in it). I would log a tempura roll and add a bit for the tuna and log the sodium for sauces. Rice adds the carbs quickly too, so if you want to taste the good parts, take it out and leave the rice.
  • cfranklin6353
    cfranklin6353 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

:o) I'm sorry...I'm prejudice against avacado. Had a bad guacamole incident a few years ago. Still gives me chills. lol
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I can't find something, I just find the thing with the most calories that is similar and use that. I had a Charlie Sheen Roll, don't remember the ingredients, but I don't think coke was one of'em :), but I ended up just searching "sushi" and found the worst one which was a dragon roll. Its better to over guess than to under, for me at least.
  • kelichik32
    kelichik32 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

:o) I'm sorry...I'm prejudice against avacado. Had a bad guacamole incident a few years ago. Still gives me chills. lol

Mmmmmm guacamole. I'm hungry. :o)
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes, PLEASE...anytime, anywhere!

Wait, what was the question?

;o)

(Enjoy!)
  • mandymayhem6
    Options
    Also when it comes to rice, some restuarants will let you sub whole grain/brown rice for white, which is much better for you :D
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you have the option, I'd go for sashimi rather than sushi. That way you can have more of it and you don't have to worry about all the sugar that's put into the rice.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Most of the time anything "tempura" is going to be high in calorie content.. tasty, yes... but high in calories.