Craving sweets...any ideas?

Options
HellsKells
HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
Looking for ideas to help curb sweetness cravings, other than fruit. I already eat plenty of fruits and am trying to keep my sugar intake in check as well, but I'm really struggling with this when I get to a certain point in the day and need something sweet.

What are some of the snacks you eat that help curb a sweet tooth?

Replies

• SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I keep some sweet muffins in the freezer. At the moment I have berry ones and also apple/cinnamon. There are a lot of low fat recipes out there, a couple on here for oat bran muffins. I did use sugar in mine but you could replace it with stevia or another substitute. If it is chocolate you are craving, make some with cocoa powder and vanilla in the mix. :)
  • FarmGal09
    FarmGal09 Posts: 7
    Options
    Sugar free fudgesicles...only 40 calories and 5 grams of sugar. Perfect for a summer treat!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt...it usually hits the spot for me and it is low fat.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt...it usually hits the spot for me and it is low fat.

TOTALLY!
  • katistrophic88
    Options
    Celestial brand teas, most are 0 calories and 0 sugars but have a natural sweet taste
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    Looking for ideas to help curb sweetness cravings, other than fruit. I already eat plenty of fruits and am trying to keep my sugar intake in check as well, but I'm really struggling with this when I get to a certain point in the day and need something sweet.

What are some of the snacks you eat that help curb a sweet tooth?

My treats/snacks generally include sweet things because I have a terrible sweet tooth. However I often go over my daily limit of sugar between snacks and fruits.

Anyhow:

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches (they make sugar free ones too!)
    South Beach Diet Whipped Peanut Butter Snack Bars
    FiberOne 90 Calorie Chocolate Fudge Brownie or Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie
    Special K 90 calorie granola bars
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    Try this one: Jello pudding singles (70 calories). Add some whipped cream on top, and you have about a 100 calorie dessert. Enjoy!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas...thanks and keep them coming!

Aside from fruit, I usually eat some of the 100 calorie pack cookies and/or snack pack pudding cups....but both of those tend to push my sugar count over the edge.

I gotta say, I was shocked how much sugar was in fresh pineapple! I love that, but now I find that I have to temper how much I eat because it's so high in sugar.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sugar free fudgesicles...only 40 calories and 5 grams of sugar. Perfect for a summer treat!

How is that sugar free? Is there a tolerance for foods to be "sugar free"?
  • Agarcia8587
    Agarcia8587 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted a great recipe 20 sec cake..
    1 egg beatin 70 cal
    1 tbs fat free milk 6 cal
    1 tsb cocoa pdwer 10 cal
    1/4 tsb bakin powder 0 cal
    2 tbs suger splenda 0 cal (I didnt have it used wat I had at hm)
    1tsp vanilla

Mix cocoa n sugar add egg milk vanilla until no lumps sprinkle bakin pwder mix quickly. .
    Grab 2 mugs put half n each put n microwave 25-30 sec n enjoy.
    I tryed it. really Satisfies sweet tooth n low cal
  • lbannon24
    lbannon24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vitatops muffins & brownies are only 100 calories & delicious! You can find them in the frozen food section (usually near the cool whip).
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You could try tea with agave or honey, or my personal favorite is Orbit Bubblemint gum. It's sweet and minty and holds its flavor wonderfully. It's really working to curb my cravings.
  • ClaSSiE86
    ClaSSiE86 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I go for dessert flavored light yogurts or the brownie by weight watchers when I'm craving something sweet :)

15995782.png
  • BlooQKazoo
    BlooQKazoo Posts: 56
    Options
    Nestle Fat Free Hot Chocolate - 20 calories (Swiss Miss has a diet one for 25 cals, too)
    Sugar-Free Jell-o - 5 calories
    Sugar-Free Pudding - 60-70 calories (The caramel and chocolate ones are my favorite)
    1/4 cup oatmeal with 1 tbsp sugar-free syrup - about 85 calories

Have you ever tried doing something new with your fruit? Broiling grapefruit? Slicing up an apple, sprinkling some cinnamon on it, and popping it in the microwave (covered) for two minutes? Freezing grapes/bananas? Those are my go-tos. ;D

And, of course, all the Skinny Cow everything. I tend to view those as a little too high-calorie for me. If I'm going to have a sweet treat for over 100 calories, I prefer it to be "good for me," like cocoa roasted almonds (100 calories for about 16 almonds).

Finally, Starbucks is my vice. I've found, though, that if I get a venti caffe misto with nonfat milk and sugar-free syrup, I it tastes exactly like a latte, but it only has 90 calories and is about half the price. I may or may not have them three or four times a week. (But hey, coffee is suppose to be good for you, right? And that's basically the only dairy I eat. ;D).
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    werther's original caramels. the hard ones. they are 35 calories, and they take a while to dissolve.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like getting fruit/flower based ice tea (loose leaf) from David's Tea or Teaopia (or any specialty tea shop). I never add sugar but I find they have a hint of fruity flavour without actually having sugar in them. I make popsicles with them or just have it with ice.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This might sound gross, but I have a SERIOUS sweet tooth. Sweet tooth as in I eat frosting out of the jar! I found something to hit my frosting tooth without all the sugar. I added 2 Nutrisystem coffee protein shake mixes (though you could also use a chocolate or other flavor protein shake mix, this is just what I had at the time) to a vanilla flavored greek yogurt, It got creamy and thick like frosting and totally satisfied my sugar carving.

Most people probably couldn't stomach this.... certainly not the entire containerful like I did, but it worked. And it was loaded with protein!
  • simsbi
    simsbi Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm loving chocolate, can't live without ;-)

So I have a little piece of dark chocolate (72-79% Cacao) - just melting on my tongue...
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I just go for a peice of very rich dark chocolate....I either buy dove, or the organic options at my grocery store.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Frozen bananas!!! Can slice 'em, dip them in chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, etc. Alternatively, you can blend up the frozen bananas for a very rich, creamy "ice cream"