Newbie seeking friends, 200+, 45yrs, walker, Hashimoto's

Options
MyNabbrs
MyNabbrs Posts: 18 Member
Hi Everyone!

Just set up my account and I'm looking for supportive friends! I'm a 45 year old married female with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I'm starting this adventure at over 200 pounds, and I'm looking to loose 40 pounds. My primary form of exercise is walking, and I sometimes do Wii Just Dance.

My husband does not know how to be supportive. He is in perfect health and doesn't understand why I can't seem to loose weight doing what he does. Every time I try a program/system/routine, he jumps on the wagon to "show me how" to do it properly. He is more competitive than supportive. I usually end up feeling like a failure and give up.

Well this time I'm not telling him what I'm up to! I want to do this on my own, for myself, without his "help". So, I would love to connect with other people that are non-critical, and encouraging in order to cheer each other on! :happy:

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you will find lots of great supportive friends here :-)

Feel free to add me :-)
  • pyjamama
    pyjamama Posts: 3
    Options
    I Just joined. I could have written your description for myself. I would love some support!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope you find the support you need here on MFP. I know I have. Feel free to add me as friend. I"ll send you the request! Good luck!
  • wowza1
    wowza1 Posts: 16
    Options
    hi
    i just joined yesterday.....seems to be a great place to get support...............i need all the help i can get

one day at a time

:)leanne
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have Hashi's also and have been working on my weight loss. There is also a Hypothyroid forum here you may want to take a look at it.

Just some ideas that have helped me:
    Use Coconut oil for cooking there are some great articles on how it helps thyroid patient also if you can try to go gluten free this is also really helpful not just for weightloss but, the overall inflammation. How are your symptoms? Until I started to really try to consume only whole gluten free foods did mine get better. For people with Thyroid issues it is really a lifestyle change not a diet. If you only diet the weight will come back. I also sit all day at work. I am a walker and I enjoy yoga. You can have moderate excersize and lose weight. I also have adrenal failure (this is common in Thyroid patients)so, I cannot over exert myself or I have problems. Anyway lots of good information here and support. Also, take a look at Stop the Thyroid Madness...wieghtloss is achievable just be patient with yourself. This is a long term solution for your overall health!
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey, this site is sooo supportive and you will meet wonderful people. I don't know where I woulod be with out all my friends. What I love about this site is that as long as I have been on here I have not met one person that has not added someone or that has put someone down. Feel free to add me!! I enjoy having more new friends!!
    Good Luck in your journey and I can't wait to see all of your success!!!
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you find the right friends- you will find so much support! Welcome- and feel free to add me~
  • MyNabbrs
    MyNabbrs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The more I browse this site, the more I like it! Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I have begun to build a friend list, and I now have a news feed that is informative and inspirational! :flowerforyou:

Does anyone here have to work with a restricted food list due to severe GERD/Barrett's? Enzyme therapy?

N
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    We also have a Group on MFP for Hypothyroid and Hyperthyroid that is very supportive. When you are hypothyroid, the calories in/calories out theory generally doesn't work. People with Hypo/Hashi tend to have other issues as well such as adrenal fatigue, low ferritin/iron, poor vitamin absorption (ie: Vitamin C, Vitamin D). We have insomnia, muscle pain, brain fog and a host of other symptoms until our adrenals, thyroid and other levels are optimized. This takes some time. As most people do, we tend to do better on whole/fresh foods - avoid sugar, processed/starchy foods and gluten.

There's a lot of info on: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com as well.

Good luck!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!:) Im pretty new also...been in it for a week now:) Welcome!:) We need all the support we can get!!:)
  • latingurlie01
    latingurlie01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I also have a thyroid disorder that caused me to gain 40+ pounds over a year period! Now that I've been diagnosed with hypothyroisism and put on thyroid medication in addition to excercise, I've lost 30 pounds! I know how hard it can be when you feel like you're doing this right things to get the weight off, but nothing happens :( It took me almost 2 years to finally get a doctor to look in to my hormones. This site is awesome for support and I hope you find it helpful in your journey. None of is are perfect, but having support helps so much:happy:

Feel free to add me