Whats your hear rate?

Options
What is a good heart rate while running? I just purchased a heart monitor and ran a 5k Saturday. My average was 169 bpm and high was 189. I would have guess i was running in the 150's. Is this to fast or just right? I'm 35 and 260lbs. 157 is my hrm's high targket limit.

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the "targets" that come with machines & gadgets. If you exceed your real target for very long...your body will shut down to protect itself....ie pass out.

Your HR's are pretty similar to mine while running, and I'm heavier than you are. I "cruise" around 169-174. But it's not uncommon for me to get above 190 when I'm climbing or during HIIT. You sound "normal" to me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM - but really run by PRE. I don't worry about what my HR may be when I'm running, I got faster if I feel I can and slower if I need to. I'm doing long distance training runs, and intentionally have to slow down, I'm constantly finding myself pushing in to that "where I'm comfortable" speed and have to work to keep it slower. I would think plan out your distance first and run to make it the whole way, either faster or slower depending on how you feel during your run.

I did 20 miles yesterday at an avg of 158, but the longer you run the higher avg the HR is too. I judge it more on how fast I recover from a run with my HR back to normal w/in minutes of stopping.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 140, but then again I only run at 4.7ish MPH. My resting is also lower for my weight/shape at under 60.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If I go over 160 for more than about 20-30 minutes my vision starts getting blurry so I've learned to scale it back a bit. Some people could probably maintain 180+ forever.
  • bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    like stated above... everybody is different! my RHR is 77-80... when i run on the treadmill it's nothing for me to be around a constant 160-170... my best friend is about 30 lbs lighter than me taller than me and in better shape than me and even though her RHR is lower than mine... when she runs she stays pretty close to 180 or higher... ur body will know if ur pushing too hard!! listen to ur body not a machine! :)
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    My running heart rate is 135bpm at 9ish minute mile. If I get near 150-160, I start to feel a little woozy. And over 160, I have to slow down soon or I will probably pass out.

My RHR is higher than it used to be at 55bpm. It used to be 38bpm. I get cold easily. :smile:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I hear at approximately the speed of sound. Though there is a slight delay while the signal gets processed. And I'll admit, a bigger delay if I'm being nagged.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I hear only from my right ear. So, my hear rate is not nearly as high as others.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    At 41, and quite heavy, I run with a heart rate that pretty steadily sits at 150-159 if I'm running on the flat. My resting heart rate is in the mid forties. For me, I reckon this is about right.

With running, I think maybe looking at some of the 'effort' indicators (could you hold a conversation?) gives a better idea of what's manageable than just heart rate alone can do.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    Running a 11min mile for 4 miles, my average heart rate is 170. It used to be 188, but has lessened as I've done it more. My typical high when I run sprints is 190. RHR is 77. I'm 23, and only 5' at 129lb. Sooo... I don't know what that means, I guess just to give some perspective.