Lightheaded, and under calorie goal. Not a good idea?

Options
I want to lose weight fast. I want to lose about 30lbs in 3 months. I know that's extreme but I've been under my calories about 200-350/day and my goal is only 1100 calories. I'm starting to get light headed when I rise from lower positions like sitting.

Should I do my best to eat 1100 even if I don't feel hungry?

I've lost 7.5lbs so far in 17 days.

Replies

• cyralia
    cyralia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you quite tall? I have had the same "problem" my all life and this happen frequently among tall people with a slow heart rate... :)
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey Cuz,

I snooped your diary, and the 31st looked like a pretty good day. You should use that as a model. Yes, you should try to eat most of your calories. MFP has already deducted the ones you need for the weight loss. Going too low can have negative effects, like being light headed, malnourished, and if it thinks it's not going to get food, it'll actually hold onto what you have for stores, so you'll see your progress halt. Since you don't get that many calories in a day, you got to make 'em count too! I saw the Doritos, gotta be careful with stuff like that, it's high in calories with minimal nutrition.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    Hey Cuz,

I snooped your diary, and the 31st looked like a pretty good day. You should use that as a model. Yes, you should try to eat most of your calories. MFP has already deducted the ones you need for the weight loss. Going too low can have negative effects, like being light headed, malnourished, and if it thinks it's not going to get food, it'll actually hold onto what you have for stores, so you'll see your progress halt. Since you don't get that many calories in a day, you got to make 'em count too! I saw the Doritos, gotta be careful with stuff like that, it's high in calories with minimal nutrition.

Yes, but the doritos was a "treat" because if you look at my other foods it has been all fat free, for the past week. 11 dorito chips isn't going to kill me. Come on now! And yes, I counted 11 of them! ;-)
  • Fitfortat
    Fitfortat Posts: 47
    Options
    Well quite frankly you are eating way to few calories. It may work at first, but your body is going to shut down and start conserving everything you eat. You need to eat properly and eat wholesome foods. Or you may fit in your skinny jeans while laying in the hospital.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are getting lightheaded you are not eating enough calories for your daily activity level.

Let your body guide you and recognize its warning signs - Lower energy level (then your not eating enough), Sugar cravings (you may be exercising too much), etc.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to your diary, so I can't really say much, but I'll comment on a few things I can say:

1. If you're lightheaded, you probably aren't eating and/or drinking enough, or you need to see your doctor about it. I'd try eating more first if I were you - your call.

2. You commented on "lowfat everything" at one point. Make sure you track your fats, carbohydrates, and proteins and eat a balanced amount of each. Fat doesn't make you fat if eaten in reasonable moderation.

3. 7.5 pounds in 17 days is most likely not a sustainable pace for losing weight. You're running a 1,500 calorie daily deficit to sustain that loss (burning 1,500 calories more than you are taking in). MFP's general recommendation is no more than a 1,000 calorie deficit. I know you're in a hurry - but sometimes a shortcut is the longest path to your destination.
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    You should eat your calories, make sure you are getting water and protein. We do not live on Veggies alone. Do not try to lose to fast it will mess you up. Leaving 100 calories uneaten is one thing but leaving 500 or over is a bad thing. Your sugars could be low, eat a piece of fruit, have a granola bar, eat a cup of yogert.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea. Use your common sense.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think you have already answered your own question in the way it was posed. I think you know that you need to eat more healthy calories. Your body is telling you that you aren't giving it enough fuel to get through the day. Do you need to get to the passing out stage before you listen to yourself? Please, please, please eat more food, and eat healthy. Low-fat foods are high in sugar and high in chemicals, and thus are not necessarily good for your body.
    And I agree with pp, healthy fats can actually help you lose weight- avocadoes and nuts are wonderful for you to eat in moderation.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey Cuz,

Yes, but the doritos was a "treat" because if you look at my other foods it has been all fat free, for the past week. 11 dorito chips isn't going to kill me. Come on now! And yes, I counted 11 of them! ;-)

ROFLMAO 1.. crunch crunch crunch 2... crunch crunch crunch

You right you gotta have treats, WTG on only eating 11... man.. I could eat a whole big bag of those
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    Hey Cuz,

ROFLMAO 1.. crunch crunch crunch 2... crunch crunch crunch

You right you gotta have treats, WTG on only eating 11... man.. I could eat a whole big bag of those

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!