I HATE THE SCALE. NO I HATE SCALES

Options
I have posted about this before, how different scales say different weights. I have worked so hard and weighed myself on a different gym than my gym's scale and this scale says im 10 pounds heavier than the scale at home. I know it isn't always about the number on the scale, it's about the inches and how clothes fit.. It still really bothers me and I am wondering if I should stop weighing myself? It makes me feel like the hard work hasn't payed off and kind of throws me into a bad mood.

Replies

• kdalbe1
    kdalbe1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know what you mean, what I do is always make sure I weigh my elf on the same scale all the time, then you never to worry about it.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to weight yourself, so long as you don't do it obsessively. However, just pick one scale and ONLY weight yourself on that one scale, no others! This way, even if it's not completely accurate, at least it's consistent!
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Ask yourself: can you stay accountable without the scale?
    If your answer is yes, then you will probably achieve MORE without the scale.

Here's why -

A lot of healthy habits can throw the scale into a tailspin. For example, during that time of the month, drinking more water helps stave off cravings and wash out sodium retention. But the immediate effect on the scale is weight gain. Or another example are fibrous vegetables. Eating veggies is definitely good for you, but all that fiber adds up on the scale. Vegetables weigh more and take longer to leave our body than a granola bar! But which is healthier? Which will make you LOOK skinnier?

It's stupid because perfectly rational people become irrational with the scale. I do it all the time. I even stop drinking water on some days because of my scale.

But then again -

If you are one of those people who might become too lenient without your scale - then I would not ditch it entirely. I would pick 1 scale, stick with it, and try to weigh yourself only occasionally like once a month or once every two weeks. Because although the scale is a *****, you don't want to make lack of a scale an excuse to eat whatever you want, either!

Personally, I am going to ditch the scale. I am doing it slowly by gradually reducing my weigh ins. The reason I know I will be better off is that when I am on vacation and I don't have a scale I actually eat better and am more accountable because I don't know how much I weigh and I can only judge by what I eat and drink. I tend to be skinnier over time because I am eating more vegetables and drinking more water instead of being afraid of how the bulk will reflect on the scale.

Hope this helps.... I share your frustration!
    But definitely - stick with one scale. Different scales are supposed to show different numbers. Pick the one showing the lowest number and stick with it. :)
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    your preaching to the choir girl!! lol
  • superwoman25
    Options
    I had the same problem so went and brought an exspensive digital set and now i only ever weigh myself on those.
  • GottiZone
    GottiZone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ran into a similar problem the other day when I went to the doctor. It was only a couple pounds more, but it still gets in your head. In the end it's all relative though. If you lose five pounds between weigh-ins on the same scale, it's still five pounds. As long as you lose lbs the next time you weight yourself at the gym, does it really matter? I actually put my scale away the last couple weeks because I got tired of it discouraging me, even if I wasn't gaining weight. I was seeing results in the mirror and my measurements, so I didn't need the scale for motivation. I'm eating well and exercising regularly, that's all that matters to me!
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I had the same scale obbession so me and some other ladies are not weighing until june 29th. you can join in if you would like
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale! I had to hide mine in my husbands trunk. Take pictures, front, back sides and measurements once a month, go by them.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with weighing yourself on the same scale because no matter what the "true" weight is, you should always be able to see when there is a difference in the weights. I think thats why so many people switch to measurements, they are so much more accurate!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating. Personally, I've adopted the practice of only weighing in officially every couple weeks and really not worrying about what it says anyway. I am more concerned about how things feel... they way my clothes fit, the way my bras feel in the backfat area, how much I jiggle when I run, stuff like that. Those are the "measurements" I use to track my progress, not the scale. The scale just isn't for me, except to throw a weight up on MFP.

After I stopped worrying about the numbers and just started eating foods that felt good and running running running, my body fat just started melting off. My scale number is creeping down slowly, but my clothes are huge and I look way different. That's enough for me.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options

It's stupid because perfectly rational people become irrational with the scale. I do it all the time. I even stop drinking water on some days because of my scale.

This statement is so true, I'm a disabled RN and the scale still makes me feel like I'm manic when I weigh. If it goes up, I'm depressed and when it moves down, I'm happy! I know all the reasons that it fluctuates but that doesn't make me happier lol.

NumberOnScale.jpg
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Scales suck. I gained 4 lbs overnight. Lol I don't even care what it says anymore. I care about measurements.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Pick one and stick to it. Jumping between scales can only be self-defeating.

And in the meantime, try not to worry so much about the number. It's not worth getting worked up over. :flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use the same scales every 2 weeks. Recently i upped exercise and had 2 weeks of gains, the third week i dropped and ended up the same weight as 3 weeks ago, despite exercising hard and eating right. I kept at it though and i have lost atleast half a clothes size! Obviously gaining muscle and losing weight. At one time i would have got discouraged by the scale, but ive learnt not to now. M fitness has improved greatly and clothes look different... There are definitely lots of different ways of charting progress. Not to say i dont want to see a downward trend, but its no longer my be all and end all! Stick with what your doing if you know your doing it right and have faith you will see differences even if its not always on the scale! X
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Even measurements can be off - depending on that time of the month, water retention, etc. Sometimes I think we should just ditch all these arbitrary ways to measure ourselves and be accountable. After all, even if the scale says the same number, that extra donut ain't going anywhere.

Eat too much = Eat better next week.
    Skip workout = Workout more next week.

How do you know you are on track? By being honest. By fitting in your clothes. By looking and feeling great.

But of course, easy to say, hard to do.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The scale is a guide...its not the be all, end all of weight loss. If you feel obsessed, dont use it. Use your clothes as a guide instead. Its all just numbers.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, what I do is always make sure I weigh my elf on the same scale all the time, then you never to worry about it.

I agree.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Just say screw it and don't weigh in! Or at least if you do, don't do it all the time. I only weigh myself when my workout partner says "I've lost this many pounds recently". That's it. I'm always shocked when I hop on it and see a loss. I don't hold much stock in those numbers anyway! I stick with measurements.
  • Whooleeah
    Whooleeah Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    love it!

NumberOnScale.jpg
    [/quote]
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I put the scale away and take it out on the 1st of every month because I was so sick of letting a number define and derail me. It feels great without it.