do i hav to eat back the cals i earn back from exercise?

Options
DeeNelly
DeeNelly Posts: 14 Member
My goal is 1200 calories a day but as it changes due to exercise do i need to eat back all those calories. Isn't the greater deficit better?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by eating them all back, personally, I only usually go into my exercise calories by 50 to 100 and no, I have not plateaued.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I feel like you should never feel obligated to eat. Listen to your body. Eat if it's hungry. Don't if it's not. Maybe you'll be under one day because you're not hungry, maybe you'll be over one day because you are.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're an adult (I presume), so you don't have to eat anything you don't want to. It's the way MFP was designed to work though. MFP gives you a particular calorie goal assuming that you will eat back the calories burned off through exercise. Otherwise, it would have given you a higher calorie goal. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and exercising, you may have a calorie deficit that is too big. This may cause you problems in the future with losing too much lean body mass (muscle) and slowing your metabolism more than you would otherwise. A lot of people find that their weight loss stalls when they are not fuelling their body properly. I've always eaten all of mine back (estimated with a heart rate monitor, which is probably more accurate than MFP's calorie burn estimates). I haven't had any problems with losing.

You might find some of these useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • DeeNelly
    DeeNelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the info.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back all the time but at times I will.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how accurate you think your numbers are. I suspect that I'm not burning as many calories as the treadmill says, and that I'm likely underestimating the number of calories I'm eating. So, I may eat back some of my calories, but not all of them.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back some but never all of them....Ive never plateaued either
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Yes /thread
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You're an adult (I presume), so you don't have to eat anything you don't want to. It's the way MFP was designed to work though. MFP gives you a particular calorie goal assuming that you will eat back the calories burned off through exercise. Otherwise, it would have given you a higher calorie goal. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and exercising, you may have a calorie deficit that is too big. This may cause you problems in the future with losing too much lean body mass (muscle) and slowing your metabolism more than you would otherwise. A lot of people find that their weight loss stalls when they are not fuelling their body properly. I've always eaten all of mine back (estimated with a heart rate monitor, which is probably more accurate than MFP's calorie burn estimates). I haven't had any problems with losing.

You might find some of these useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

This! Even if you're losing weight you have to fuel your body properly. If anything, that's when you should be being even more conscious of nutrition.