I'm new, too, and a couple of issues!

Options
Hi all! I'm new here, and since a couple of my issues are stress eating and sweets (a bad combination!), I'm hoping that I can turn to the computer for encouragement, inspiration, and support, instead of turning to food!

A few years ago, I lost 40 lbs over about a year, and was doing well. Then, I went through a trauma, was a wreck for months and for the first time in my life had no appetite. I lost too much weight. It was kind of a trip when my dr. told me I needed to put on weight! Those were some words I never expected to hear in my middle-aged life! After some therapy, I'm now physically and mentally healthy, but I've put on my 12 lbs, over my goal weight, that I'd like to lose. That may not sound like a lot to some of you, but if you knew me, 12 might as well be 50. Today was my first day using the food tracker.

Also, I live in the sunny south, and hate summers! The rest of the year, I love walking my dogs, but I'm trying to figure out what to do to keep active during the summer. Join a gym? Zumba? (A friend in another town has been going through some personal stress and told me Zumba helps keep her sane.) No swimming, as this middle aged body does not ever intend on wearing a swimsuit again!

Oh, and anyone that wants friends, please add me!

Replies

• kba0708
    kba0708 Posts: 17
    Options
    Zumba is a great way to be active. If you can't get to a gym to do it, there are DVDs!

Good luck!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has ever worked for me with sweets, is to go cold turkey.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    Welcome! There are some groups on here with people doing videos like Butt Bible, Ripped in 30, Insanity, etc... You should hook up with some of those groups for inspiration :smile:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I would love to live where it is sunny....I live in the rain : ( You really can do this just put your mind to it...and stop eating bad, or junk foods. That is what I did Nov 2010 and here I am today down 100 pounds...and last summer I had gained almost 20 back.

Do any and all exercises until you find something you like!! Diet is 70% of weightloss....so keep that in mind : )

Good Luck!!
  • Raseac11
    Raseac11 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm afraid that's what I need to do, too. I did it many years ago, for a year or two. I'm worried that I don't have the willpower.

The only thing that has ever worked for me with sweets, is to go cold turkey.
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I do zumba and l absolutley love it. I think it's a fun way to exercise. Plus no one judges you if you can't do the moves because we are all in the same boat! It's great
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Im also...kinda new, about a week and a half. I also stress eat, which is how i got to my current weight and loooove sweets! Well i also love salts >_> anywho..! Zumba is so much fun! I was sceptical about trying it but when i did, i loved it! Size dosent matter, which i thought did, because everyone is so into the dance that nobody pays attention to that stuff. With motivation and logging your food / staying on track, im sure youll be in a bikini looking at your self and thinking "wow im so sexy!" :D

Feel free to add me !

Good luck!
  • Raseac11
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the groups!
    Welcome! There are some groups on here with people doing videos like Butt Bible, Ripped in 30, Insanity, etc... You should hook up with some of those groups for inspiration :smile:
  • Raseac11
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check the library to see if they have any DVDs. That would be a good way to try some things!
    Zumba is a great way to be active. If you can't get to a gym to do it, there are DVDs!

Good luck!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    When you eat sugar...or junk foods you just crave more. You just have to figure out how much you want the weight off....more then eating junk or not!! It's pretty simple really.
  • Raseac11
    Options
    Thanks, my friend is about 20 years younger than I am, so I was asking if if an uncoordinated old lady can do Zumba, and she assures me I can. I looked at it on line, and it does look fun.
    I do zumba and l absolutley love it. I think it's a fun way to exercise. Plus no one judges you if you can't do the moves because we are all in the same boat! It's great
  • Raseac11
    Options
    Thanks! (But most of us over 50 aren't going to be wearing a bikini! ha. ha.) Oh, and you mentioned salt! I love salt, too!

quote]
    Hi there! Im also...kinda new, about a week and a half. I also stress eat, which is how i got to my current weight and loooove sweets! Well i also love salts >_> anywho..! Zumba is so much fun! I was sceptical about trying it but when i did, i loved it! Size dosent matter, which i thought did, because everyone is so into the dance that nobody pays attention to that stuff. With motivation and logging your food / staying on track, im sure youll be in a bikini looking at your self and thinking "wow im so sexy!" :D

Feel free to add me !

Good luck!
    [/quote]
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    :) Try a martial art! It'll get you moving AND teach you ways to defend yourself. I found it to be very liberating, and I've stuck with it now for about seven years. It's a lot of fun, too. ;)
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, stress eater and I have a terrible love affair with chocolate. Cold turkey (not like I can talk since I had an ice cream today) and lots of water help me out.

I had a gym membership but didn't make it as often as I should have, I find that videos, treadmill, outdoors help me more. I'm too busy to try to fit into classes. I have Zumba for my wii and love it, Zumba is such a fun exercise!
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I see them in bikinis! Lol well... youll feel great anyways! :)
  • Raseac11
    Options
    I've thought about martial arts, but I have a bulging disc in my back that I have to be careful with. I could never spar or do anything too rough.
    :) Try a martial art! It'll get you moving AND teach you ways to defend yourself. I found it to be very liberating, and I've stuck with it now for about seven years. It's a lot of fun, too. ;)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the south, so understand not wanting to be outside in the summer! Humidity!!!! However, don't pass on swimming just because you think you can't be seen in a swim suite. I bought a nice one-piece suit and some swim shorts I wear over it. I may not be the pool babe anymore, but I really don't care. I just want to swim laps. If you join a water aerobics class, I'm sure there will be others in the pool who've years ago hung up the old bikinis, too. Otherwise, join a gym. I've never done Zumba, but it sure looks like fun. I have a library of workout DVDs so work out on my own in my nice cool basement with no one but the dog to judge me.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    What is great about swimming is the amount of calories you can burn. With only 12 lbs. over goal you can't look too bad in a bathing suit. However, if you really don't like to swim that is totally different. There are so many styles that cover a multitude of sins. I still have 65 lbs. to lose and don't care what others think about how I look at the YMCA. There are also walking tapes that you can walk around the house. Sansone ( can't think of her first name at present) has some good ones. You can do this. You'll be glad for the support you can get on MFP.
  • Raseac11
    Options
    Well, maybe with the encouragement here, I will be able to!

When you eat sugar...or junk foods you just crave more. You just have to figure out how much you want the weight off....more then eating junk or not!! It's pretty simple really.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I work as a cake decorator, so I have to be really careful about saying 'yes' to sweets when they are offered to me. Some of my colleagues who have been in the profession for much longer suffer from diabetes, and I don't want to end up with it if I can help it. I make it a conscious thing to say "no" to stuff at work about 95% of the time (I seem to only say yes when I've been going for hours without a break to eat and there isn't one in site, but even then I try to only eat a small portion of something). I typically allow myself a treat every couple of days, though my morning cereal is a guilty pleasure (I justify it because it has a fantastic iron and protein content). I've learned that making diet changes (like forgoing sweets completely) that you can't live with for the rest of your life aren't very sustainable.