I just can't find motivation

Options
As the title says I JUST CAN'T FIND any kind of motivation. I had motivation for about 3 days and it went on a long vacation. Is anyone in the same boat as I am? It's hard to find time to exercise with my son. It's hard to diet because we never eat at home and we (husband and I) always share meals to save money. I feel like I am stuck in a rut.

Replies

• LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    Hey wait a minute! Why are you writing my posts?

:laugh:

I am having a hard time finding the motivation too since I got back from vacation. I kinda got bummed out because my network got turned off on my phone and I couldn't log in for 4 days. I was up to over 100. But it was a little motivating this morning to get on the scale and see I was still losing even though I wasn't logging. I really do need to get back to logging and exercising.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you just start out tracking all your foods and portion sizes into the food tracker. Don't worry about keeping to a calorie goal or exercise yet. Once you spend say a week or two getting used to tracking and finding out what your actual daily calories amount to you will then be able to start modifying your counts. I am going to bet you will be motivated to improve just by seeing everything in black and white.

That is what I did and I am on my 6th week and down over 8 pounds. It also helps to make a few buddies, the support on this site is awesome.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to do it...even when you don't want to. I tell myself things like, "I'll just to 10 minutes. I can do 10 minutes!" But 10 minutes in I'm usually telling myself I should go for 15...and 45 minutes later I feel so happy and motivated to keep going that it lights the fire I needed. (Doesn't always work out that poetically, but I just keep making it happen, keep making myself go back to it when I think it would be "easier" to just give up.) Log just your breakfast. Or log at the end of the day everything you can remember. Whatever takes that first step for you...it's the hardest one, trust me!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Reading the message boards always inspires me. Right now, I'm feeling the urge to snack so I jumped onto MFP instead to get me through my craving. Good luck. Everyday is a new start - keep trying.

If you eat out often, can you look up the menus ahead of time and plan to order on of the healthier items? Then your mind will be making the decision and not so much your stomach.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    And my vacation really busted me, too! Actually I had been eating awfully for a couple fo weeks now but it never showed up on the scale until I got back from vacation.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Get some MFP friends..........I didn't care too much at first about that stuff..............but there are many people on my friends list that have inspired me to try new things, try different foods, workouts, etc...............i have motivated people, and people have motivated me..............use others success to motivate you and show you that this all does work, if you stick to it. And start eating at home..........I pretty much completely have given up eating out..........its not worth the effort or planning to try and account for calories that way.
  • KatelinJade
    Options
    Hey!

So I've tried many many times to lose weight and NEVER lost near the amount I wanted and then I just gained it all back everytime. I literally had no motivation. I feel its kind of like hitting "rock bottom" for addicts, as in if they don't have a reason to stop, they won't. I think its the same with weight loss.

This is my story:
    One day I woke up and I was having trouble bending over to tie my shoes, which was always difficult but for some reason this particular day was REALLY bad. I was in a bad mood and I just couldn't take it. I broke down crying (at work :p) and it was at that point that I realized I NEEDED to change. I could feel it in my body that I needed to change my life and not just a fad but really change. My friend and I both decided to do it together, which is what I think is getting me through. She is so encouraging and I help her as well.

I think my motivation is NUMBER 1 my best friend who helps me day to day and NUMBER 2 the scale. I see those pounds dropping and I can't believe how amazing that feeling is. Maybe an idea is to get someone to eat healthier with you, like you husband or someone else who can help keep you on track. Start off with tracking what you eat and then it will all fall into place. Get some MFP friends to help you and just get into thinking that "I cannot gain another pound". That's what I think everyday before I pick something to eat and then I just don't eat as much.

PS: I eat out for every meal as well and I have literally no time for exercise but I have only been tracking my food and exercise for just over 55 days and I have lost a total of 26 pounds so far and continually losing. If I can do this, I know that anyone can. :D Keep trying and I know you'll succeed. Good Luck!
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i TOTALLY hear you!!! I got back from vacation a week ago and just haven't been able to find motivation at all. I've just kind of been doing this half - assed. Well, the other day, i went on a message board for 3fatchicks.com and in their forum is a "Goal" section. I clicked on that and read the stories of the people who have acheived their goals...and most posts have pics. These women were very much like me, and they DID it. Then i went to the teambeachbody.com website and did the same thing...that too really helped give me the boost i need, because now I want to be one of the people posting when i've acheived MY goal.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Watch anything featuring those SUPER obese people that are bed-ridden and can barely move...if that doesn't make you want to lose weight, I don't know what will.

Or, "window shop" for really cute clothes, that one usually works for me the best.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    First you start, then you feel motivated. Start with something non committal and easy, like a walk. After 15 min of walking outdoors, i usually feel a lot more motivated to do whatever it is that i'm putting off.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of mirrors in my house, but I've heard that people who do find it motivating to pull down the shades and spend the day doing their housework in the nude, lol.
  • ltcatc
    ltcatc Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you guys. I appreciate all your advice and uplifting comments <3
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've read on this topic:
    Don't sit around and wait to be motivated, chances are that won't happen.
    Make a plan (set your phone to remind you!) and just go do something even if you don't want to. You don't have to exercise for hours every day. Set a goal to walk for 10 mins a day. Usually I find that once I get out the door I'm OK and I will walk for longer than 10 mins, it can just help to get you over the intial hump of getting out there.
    I usually exercise first thing in the morning because then I don't have time to talk myself out of it!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've read on this topic:
    Don't sit around and wait to be motivated, chances are that won't happen.
    Make a plan (set your phone to remind you!) and just go do something even if you don't want to. You don't have to exercise for hours every day. Set a goal to walk for 10 mins a day. Usually I find that once I get out the door I'm OK and I will walk for longer than 10 mins, it can just help to get you over the intial hump of getting out there.
    I usually exercise first thing in the morning because then I don't have time to talk myself out of it!

^^^^ THIS . Great post! You know, a nice walk is great and refreshing...and much easier to think of doing than "exercise".
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? I have 2 kids - 1 is 7 and the other is 22 months. Exercising is easier a lot when I involve them some of the time
    Today we were watching music shows on the telly and dancing round the front room (ok I'm not the greatest dancer but they don't care). Sometimes me and my eldest have competitions to see how many jumps on the trampoline we can do without stopping.

We walk everywhere - the little one goes in the pushchair for the most of it but is starting to walk for 20 mins or so at a time. Round here those that are 3 or 4 years old and struggle to walk for a couple of hours a day take scooters which makes it easier. I carry food shopping on my back (hiking backpack for main shop) which helps.

I take my eldest on bike rides or exploring trips.

I run round after my little one in the park when her brother is at school, chasing her, pushing her on swings. TBH carrying her (now she weighs nearly 24 pounds) burns quite a lot (carrying small child plus hiking backpack at a combined weight of 80 pounds or so burns a huge amount though was not what I intended to do).

I also do exercise dvds when they are in bed at night - 30-45 minute workout plus shower and change means I'm done in just under an hour.
  • sdwagers
    sdwagers Posts: 5
    Options
    every step you take is one step closer to your goal. baby step or giant leap. find what works for you. I reco DDPYoga.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I just watched this video this morning.

It was all the inspiration I needed to get off the couch and workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o6Alt2DssYc#!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just listened to fat2fitradio.com podcast #79 this morning and its about finding your motivation.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    As the title says I JUST CAN'T FIND any kind of motivation. I had motivation for about 3 days and it went on a long vacation. Is anyone in the same boat as I am? It's hard to find time to exercise with my son. It's hard to diet because we never eat at home and we (husband and I) always share meals to save money. I feel like I am stuck in a rut.

I think what you are going to have to do is to force yourself to develop a habit...When we got our gym membership in February, I told hubby that I would use it. So for the first 2-3 weeks, I went 5 days a week, then I cut down to 3 days a week. After that first month, I started craving the activity. In the last 4 months, there has probably only been 2 weeks that I didn't do at least 3 days a week in the gym.

How old is your son? Can you make a "date" with him to do something active? When my son was a little younger, he would hand me his shoes and say "go bye bye?" so I put our shoes on and went to the Y...he went to child watch, and I went to the fitness area.
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Motivation can be elusive.

When I first started, I would write out my goal for the week: the first week, it was just "Do SOMETHING every day".

Even now, I try to at least check in with MFP and say "Hey" even if I don't log food or do anything. Keeps me in the loop.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. And good luck!