True or false?

Options
I've been reading some things posted regarding how accurate HRM's actually are? Is this information valid? What is the point of an HRM if it's not going to give an accurate read? I have had mine for about a month & a half now and I love it! One question I do have is whether or not I should be using it when I am doing weight lifting/strength training? But I feel like I get an accurate read when doing cardio - especially when the cardio machines are usually 100 calories MORE than my HRM is giving me.

Thanks for any input.

Incidentally, I have a Polar FT7 with a chest strap.

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    All you've said is that you've read "some things". Care to elaborate? Hard to comment on hte veracity of "some things".
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Chances are your HRM is going to be more accurate assuming you input all of your data, resting HR, weight etc. But are either going to be exact? No. All calculations are nothing more then generalized algorithms that make many assumptions. Since you have an HRM use its numbers since you always have it with you. What you need to do is monitor those numbers against your current goals. All else being equal it wont take to long for you to determine is those numbers are to high, to low or just right.