Technically not overweight, but I still feel fat.

Options
I'm a teenager and I've been somewhat obsessed with my weight since sixth grade. Technically, I've never been underweight nor overweight, always somewhere in the middle. This may seem great to many of you reading this, but, especially lately, I've been really bashing myself about it. I joined my fitness pal in order to count calories, and I've just recently gone on the computer with it and seen all the other cool stuff you can do on here, like posting in forums. I don't know what to do, because I am 5'6" and 119 pounds, and I still feel grossed out when I look in the mirror by my appearance. I'm trying to be realistic about it, but seeing all these really thin girls at school makes me feel rather insecure. My close friends know how much it would mean to me to be skinny, but I don't want to get too crazy anorexic with it or anything. What should I do?

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. When I started MFP technically I wasnt overweight for my height and for the longest time I've had people tell me I'm skinny and dont need to lose weight. But every time I looked at my tummy or lovehandles (I've learned to dress them so you cant see them) I would get grossed out. Like you said I dont want to be anorexic I just want back to the size I was when I graduated college and fit back into my jeans again. So I've looked up the BMI for different weights at my height and found where the perfect place is. I have lost 11 lbs since starting MFP and my tummy and hips are slimming down some.

So I am losing the weight and slimming back down but I am going slowly and not letting myself get tied up in the number the scale shows me or the size of my pants. I am simply getting myself to the perfect BMI and getting a handle on being healthy before I get overweight.

My suggestion is keep counting calories and if you want to lose weight set it to around a pound a week so you can do it slow. Also find a good excerise routine. Even if its just a dvd at home or going out for a daily run. Either way be active and get fit. So even if your weight doesn't change its still healthy!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Try strength training. It may not be the weight that is the issue as much as body composition. You can be skinny fat and that may be what you are reacting to rather than the actual weight itself.
  • ChelseaWhitworth
    Options
    Fit is the new skinny!!! You should continue countaing calories, but don't obsess over those numbers, they're just a guideline. Just as important, watch your protien and sugar intakes. Try to get in the mindset of "I want to be FIT!" instead of "I want to be skinny." People don't work for skinny, people work hard for fit. Find a work out plan that keeps you interested and just go :D