Fitness Equipment..Any Advice?

Options
Does anybody know of a good place to get some cheap fitness equipment? I'd really like to invest in something for my home. And elliptical or tredmill would be great. I just can't afford to spend a lot of money, especially up front? Any ideas??

Replies

• healthychic
    Options
    Walmart has really nice ellipticals for $200, my friend got a good one there for that much which I think is verrry cheap because my boyfriend's brother and his fiance bought one for over $1,000! If that is too much I would recommend putting it on your credit card if you have one and then just paying it at the end of the month. Thats what I would do but I can't fit one in my little house:happy:

-Danielle
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Also, do check the maximum weight these machines can hold. I had bought the dual action stationery bike which costs over 400 bucks as i needed a heavy duty one which would hold a max weight of 113kgs! I had noted the cheaper ones have lower max weight.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Look at your local classifieds, I have seen some really good deals on ours around here...craigs list, etc...
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have been on ellipticals and I own a treadmill and Nordic Track ski machine. Of these 3 machines, I like the cross-country skier the best since it works the upper and lower body, and has virtually 50% the impact of walking. While the elliptical operates similarly, I have never felt as though the workout was as complete as cross country skiing. The bottom line is buy what works for you and what you enjoy best since in the long run that is what you will stick with.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Craigslist, no 2 ways about it. Most people buy this stuff with high hopes, then they find out it's hard (well ya',,, it's exercise, it's supposed to be hard! :bigsmile: ). So the thing sits around for a year, and then they get tired of looking at it, and they list it on Craigslist. Good as new, for cheap.

Our gym

Treadmill - friend of a friend needed rid of, $25

Elliptical - Wallyworld, $300 (worth every penny, love that thing).

Gazelle glider - Craigslist, $30

Dip tower - Craigslist, $50

Incline bench - Wallyworld, $70

Dumbbells + about 100 lbs of iron,,, already had some, bought plates here & there as needed (and need more now ). Cost is about $.80 a pound - better if you can find used. There's no such thing as "used" iron. What's it gonna do - stop being heavy? Hehehe,,,

We also have some floor space open, and an old TV and our Wii and a DVD player and do 30shred in there. I plan to start P90X in about a month.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Craigslist, no 2 ways about it. Most people buy this stuff with high hopes, then they find out it's hard (well ya',,, it's exercise, it's supposed to be hard! :bigsmile: ). So the thing sits around for a year, and then they get tired of looking at it, and they list it on Craigslist. Good as new, for cheap.

Our gym

Treadmill - friend of a friend needed rid of, $25

Elliptical - Wallyworld, $300 (worth every penny, love that thing).

Gazelle glider - Craigslist, $30

Dip tower - Craigslist, $50

Incline bench - Wallyworld, $70

Dumbbells + about 100 lbs of iron,,, already had some, bought plates here & there as needed (and need more now ). Cost is about $.80 a pound - better if you can find used. There's no such thing as "used" iron. What's it gonna do - stop being heavy? Hehehe,,,

We also have some floor space open, and an old TV and our Wii and a DVD player and do 30shred in there. I plan to start P90X in about a month.

I agree--that's probably the best way to go on a limited budget. Even if it doesn't work out (no pun intended), you are not out that much.

I have a commercial Stairmaster 4400PT that I picked up for $100 from a park district that was buying all new equipment. It's 14 years old, but I'll never wear it out.

I also have a Life Fitness T 5.5 treadmill that cost considerably more, but I got an insider discount so it cost less than half the MSRP and I look at it as a lifetime investment. Before I hurt my hammy, I was using it probably 8 hrs a week.

No room for weights, but I get a senior discount at the park district, so I only pay $15 a month -- actually I don't even pay that because they never set up the EFT properly, so I am using it for nothing. I figure if I ever get a job, I'll write them a check for the months I have used it.

When I am going through a "recovery" cycle, I'll do some bodyweight/band/resistaball stuff in the basement--I would really like to get an aerobic step and risers, but I can't find one in my price range--even on eBay. Just have to keep looking.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Don't forget to look at your local Goodwill and Salvation Army for used equipment. Garage sales are another great place to pick up workout equipment at reasonable prices.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Same as mentioned above. People buy, don't use it. Craigslist, garage sales, Kijiji.

I just got 330lbs (110 for friend) of metal weight plates for $0.50/lb.
    Nice Weider dumbbell bars for $5 each.
    Buddy had sold his house and had a miniture gym in his basement.
    He had all other kinds of fitness equiptment trying to sell.
  • jessicasager
    Options
    wow everybody, thanks for the advice. i'll continue looking. hopefully something will pop up!!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Craigslist and the local Freecycle are great. I've gotten a few scores on CL for my home gym.

For weight plates and specific lifting equipment, I go to a Fitness Exchange. The plates are usually less than $1 / lb.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Look for stores in your area that sell used equipment.

I bought my treadmill at sears, since it was a floor model I got it for almost 1/2 price. Kmart is part of sears now too, and Kmart and Walmart both do layaway if you need it! Just a thought!