loose skin after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm currently down 70 ish pounds for the second time in 4 years. I've always exercised, with the exception of the great re-fat of 2010, and I have loose skin.
    I'm a distance runner, and part of my training is to weight train, and I'll tell you this, my loose skin is far "worse" than it was the last time.
    I'm also an avid moisturizer. Working at Bath & Body Works for years in stilled the 3 step daily moisturizing technique. So moisturizing doesn't work.
    There is no magic trick, its all about genetics. Its about how the elasticity in your skin cells work.

I wear my loose skin with pride. I gladly put my griddley-like spanx on each morning to hide my belly skin and I let my bat winged arms flap in the wind when I wear tank tops. I'd much much MUCH rather have loose skin than fat filled skin.

And YES, my belly slaps when I run, and I LOVE IT.

^^^^LOVE THIS!!! bahahahaha!!! I have YET to wear tank tops just yet due to the fact that I've got such flabby arms!! I used to wear them just fine, till I saw a picture of my arms once... Now I only wear sleeveless when - A) I am working out in the sun (yard work/gardening, etc), & B) I am working out - period!!! ;-D
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Here is what I said: "And I can promise you, all the moisturizing in the world wasn't helping my loose skin. It will keep it moist, but it isn't going to shrink your skin. No way, no how."

And I stand by that. Lotion is not going to shrink your skin. It may keep it moist, which may make it look better. But it will not shrink it.

I didn't come here to make enemies and yet I get attacked. Great.

Im sorry but Im not attacking you, Im just talking to you. If you've decided that Im your enemy now, simply because it worked for me, then I guess Im sorry for that too.

No one came here to make enemies, pretty sure we all came here to talk about all the things we've found that work and dont work. Im just posting here because maybe there is some other girl out there, very similar to me, who may be able to take some grain of hope with her that she may not have a lot of loose skin just because everyone else here is saying that there isnt anything you can do about it.

I dont want her to see this entire thread and get a bit deflated, Id rather she see a couple positive posts where trying this one harmless thing actually worked.

If I was telling someone to rub antifreeze all over their body before bed each night, I would understand if it was quickly shot down... but Im just giving my own little success story. And Im not a youngun.

Im just, trying, just like the rest of you, and felt like imparting some hope - but dont worry! now I know Im wrong! I wont bother you guys anymore

:flowerforyou:
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Here is what I said: "And I can promise you, all the moisturizing in the world wasn't helping my loose skin. It will keep it moist, but it isn't going to shrink your skin. No way, no how."

And I stand by that. Lotion is not going to shrink your skin. It may keep it moist, which may make it look better. But it will not shrink it.

Im sorry but Im not attacking you, Im just talking to you. If you've decided that Im your enemy now, simply because it worked for me, then I guess Im sorry for that too.

No one came here to make enemies, pretty sure we all came here to talk about all the things we've found that work and dont work. Im just posting here because maybe there is some other girl out there, very similar to me, who may be able to take some grain of hope with her that she may not have a lot of loose skin just because everyone else here is saying that there isnt anything you can do about it.

I dont want her to see this entire thread and get a bit deflated, Id rather she see a couple positive posts where trying this one harmless thing actually worked.

If I was telling someone to rub antifreeze all over their body before bed each night, I would understand if it was quickly shot down... but Im just giving my own little success story. And Im not a youngun.

Im just, trying, just like the rest of you, and felt like imparting some hope - but dont worry! now I know Im wrong! I wont bother you guys anymore

Martyr much?

You did attack. First you attacked me, trying to solidify YOUR testimony. Great lotion worked for you, but that is it, the lotion worked for you.
    Then you jumped AUGrl because it didn't work for her. But I'm willing to put money on the fact that the original poster's weight problem is more comparable to your brother's or AUGrl or mine for that matter, given the amount she has to lose.

Simple answer is, there is NO cure. What works for some, doesn't work for others. And for most there is no answer.
    Again, there are many factors that one needs to assess.
    Age, genetics and how long some one was/is overweight.
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

It just seemed like you pinpointed my posts when there were others saying the same thing.

Lotion & exercise did not work for me. Congratulations that it did for you! I was overweight a lot longer than you, so that may be a part of it as well.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Martyr much?

You did attack. First you attacked me, trying to solidify YOUR testimony. Great lotion worked for you, but that is it, the lotion worked for you.
    Then you jumped AUGrl because it didn't work for her. But I'm willing to put money on the fact that the original poster's weight problem is more comparable to your brother's or AUGrl or mine for that matter, given the amount she has to lose.

Simple answer is, there is NO cure. What works for some, doesn't work for others. And for most there is no answer.
    Again, there are many factors that one needs to assess.
    Age, genetics and how long some one was/is overweight.

I attacked you? where?

Look, here is a blanket apology to everyone in this thread. I dont see how I was abusive or mean-spirited, but Im apologising again. I wish you all tight tummies and lots of PRs.
  • breakingxground
    breakingxground Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'll just chime in and say that I lost 100 lbs over about 4 years, and I definitely have ugly loose skin. My stomach is the worst, but f-it I still wear a bikini. I didn't come all this way for nothing.

Moisturizing and weight lifting has helped, and I do notice a difference especially in my arms and thighs. But my stomach will always be gross, there is no cure for an apron of excess skin. Good luck!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yes and I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon later this month.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    yes, I deal with it everyday, but I lost basically all my weight in a year and started lifting after 9 months of losing, I did cardio for the first 9 months for exercise, it has gone down some since then, but I would rather have loose skin where it doesn't look bad in clothes than have all the fat that looked bad in clothes. The younger you are the more quicker your skin bounces back or so I am told. There really is no magic potion to get rid of it, just hardwork and exercise and then you still may need surgery to get rid of it. But losing the weight is worth the loose skin, just take your time don't lose it as quick as I did. I wish I didn't lose it so quick now, but what are you gonna do.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if anyone already suggested this.
    Dry skin brushing, increase your intake of vit C, add MSM and gelatin supplements to your diet. Also really massage your skin while you apply your moisturizer (knead, roll it between your fingers, slap it all kinds of stuff).
    Your body doesn't care what your skin looks like and because it is the most outer layer it is the last one to receive nutrients. With all of the brushing and the massage you will be basically irritating your skin slightly. This will confuse your body and it will send extra nutrients to repair the irritation. That's why you need the additional Vit c, MSM and gelatin. They work together to build stonger healthier skin.
    I've only lost 30 pounds and I don't have much more to lose so I really don't know what I am talking about here :blushing:
    However I've been doing all of the above and my skin looks really good and I even see reduction of cellulite and my breasts seem more lifted. So there you go - give it a try.

PS It took about 3 months before I started seeing the amazing looking skin.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I lost over 200 pounds and had a ton of extra skin. I exercised, moisturized, lifted weights, drank a ton of water - that skin was NEVER going to snap back. I just had surgery to have it removed. The doc removed 7 pounds of skin.

You can see the pics on my blog jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin, mostly on my upper arms and thighs but slowly it's shrinking. I don't expect it will ever fully go away, but I just keep eating right and doing cardio and strength training and the results so far are way better than I ever imagined they would be.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I lost over 200 pounds and had a ton of extra skin. I exercised, moisturized, lifted weights, drank a ton of water - that skin was NEVER going to snap back. I just had surgery to have it removed. The doc removed 7 pounds of skin.

Wow, don't take this the wrong way, but only 7lbs of loose skin after 200 lbs of weightloss, that's impressive, what type of exercises did you do to only have the 7 lbs of loose skin. Congrats, well done, I checked out your blog too, you look great
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    well that happens if the exercise your doing is all about loosing weight you should have an alternate routine that's about toning your muscles too prevent it from happening. If you need to look for equipment in lifting just click this link bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options

Wow!! Good job on the loss.

Was the surgery very expensive?

I'm doing the skin brusing too--just not every day;0 oops!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal experience but I lost the first 25 of the 46 I've lost so far pretty fast and mostly with diet, I looked like a melting ice cream cone, lol. I joined a gym in January and have been doiing circuit training along with the cardio since and I would have to say it has certainly contributed to not so much loose skin, also moisturizing daily. You skin does turn over on a regular basis so good strength training, really good diet and attention to detail does seem to help. I do have some loose skin on my abdomen but that goes all the way back to the first kid, lol. You should have seen it though when the weight first came off (14 inches around the waist) I had a flap at the hips that went from hip bone to hip bone and was quite noticeable even in pants, lol. Be patient, it won't all go away or go away fast but it does reduce.
  • skinnykimmy2013
    Options
    its one of a dreaded part about loosing alot of weight but as one of my pals stated that its better to have the loose skin than to have the weight on and lift alot of weights to help with the tightning . congrats on your lost.
  • skinnykimmy2013
    Options
    awesome wow thats just awesome congrat on your lost
  • skinnykimmy2013
    Options

congrats thats reallly really awesome
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My husband lost over 100 pounds. I think his loose skin is WAY sexier than any amount of fat could ever be.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm currently down 70 ish pounds for the second time in 4 years. I've always exercised, with the exception of the great re-fat of 2010, and I have loose skin.
    I'm a distance runner, and part of my training is to weight train, and I'll tell you this, my loose skin is far "worse" than it was the last time.
    I'm also an avid moisturizer. Working at Bath & Body Works for years in stilled the 3 step daily moisturizing technique. So moisturizing doesn't work.
    There is no magic trick, its all about genetics. Its about how the elasticity in your skin cells work.

I wear my loose skin with pride. I gladly put my griddley-like spanx on each morning to hide my belly skin and I let my bat winged arms flap in the wind when I wear tank tops. I'd much much MUCH rather have loose skin than fat filled skin.

Ditto! And more loose skin to come. It's a badge of honor. Although I'd like to do without spandex but at least they hide the loose skin but they certainly didn't hide the fat! You are healthier n that's the best outcome of all.
    And YES, my belly slaps when I run, and I LOVE IT.