Late night snacking

Options
I think the worst time of day for me is the evening....does anyone have suggestions on how to handle the cravings during the evening?

Replies

• JC4d
    JC4d Posts: 2
    Options
    I have found that chewing sugar free gum helps cut down on my food cravings.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Plan to eat at night. There is nothing inherantly wrong with eating late at night, as long as it doesn't result in you going over your calorie limit. Keep 300cals up your sleeve and just eat.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after supper, and go to bed early.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dinner until around 8:30 every night after the gym and it hasn't effected me as long as I am under my calorie limit
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I like evening snacks do usually 300-400 cals is reserved for that :) healthy things usually but always yummy!'
  • abdallah1226
    Options
    popcorn works for me
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Apple crisp:
    apple
    oatmeal
    splenda
    cinnamon
    1 T butter

bake for approx 15 minutes.

Or apple
    Or jello & redi whip
    Or turkey hot dog *L* I know it's weird......
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible about worrying about going over calories in the day and so ALWAYS end up eating most of my calories late at night, in bed while reading or studying haha. I still lose eating about 500 at 11 or later at night! If the calories are the same there's no harm in eating later, it's a silly rumour.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try to eat dinner later, around 7PM. I always went overboard on cereal before bed, bad habit. Now if I must have it, I try to limit to one bowl of the low calorie Kashi and just enough milk. I also have been cutting down on the fruits at night I think that's helping
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Define evening. If I stay up late, then I start to get kind of peckish. The best course of action when that happens is to just go to bed already.

If you're talking about, say, 9 PM, just leave aside some calories so you can have a bedtime snack. I personally like a glass of low-fat milk before bedtime. Either that, or a glass of hot verbena tea.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Plan to eat at night. There is nothing inherantly wrong with eating late at night, as long as it doesn't result in you going over your calorie limit. Keep 300cals up your sleeve and just eat.

True makes sense
  • ebiggz
    ebiggz Posts: 11
    Options
    Cottage cheese works good. Good long lasting (Casein) protein that keeps you full longer. A good bed time snack. I take cottage cheese, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, ice, a little bit of sugar/fat free jello pudding powder to add a little flavor and sometimes some peanut butter. Makes an amazing shake and not at all bad. A good night time snack.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I still haven't eaten dinner and it is 8:15. It has not made any difference in my weight loss.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I actually like to have an evening snack...I kind of plan it that way. I do a workout DVD then have breakfast (most of the time), lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, workout on the elliptical, then an evening/night snack. I love having banana chips and peanut butter for my night snack after I do the elliptial, it's filling and taste so good!
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with this for the first couple months. I love sweets at night. I would plan to have icecream, popcorn, or cookies, whatever I was craving. I tried to make it better options, like portion controlled ice cream treats instead of a big container of ice cream and natural cookies with whole wheat flour. If I didn't have many cals I would eat kettlecorn and Celestial Seasonings spiced apple tea with splenda. The last couple months though I've noticed that I'm not having those cravings for nighttime sweets anymore. I'm not sure how it changed, but maybe by allowing the snack, but limiting it I was able to slowly ween myself out of that habit. Now I try to drink a ton of water while I relax before bed. I think this is also filling me up. Sometimes I'll add propel or a lipton tea and honey packet to my water for extra sweet. I'm not good about getting my water all day. I'm SAHM with 3 little ones who steal my water bottle all the time. There's never any left when I go to take a drink.
  • marshamccorkle
    Options
    I eat free foods: cucumbers in vinegar is my favorite (out in the garden so I have to pick them to eat) and if I happen to eat something I shouldn't I walk around the house for 30 mins.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try to eat dinner later, around 7PM. I always went overboard on cereal before bed, bad habit. Now if I must have it, I try to limit to one bowl of the low calorie Kashi and just enough milk. I also have been cutting down on the fruits at night I think that's helping

I used to have cereal at night too....I'd get a bowl, fill it with cereal (a really sugary kind usually) and fill the bowl with milk, sit down and watch tv with my husband. Thank goodness I don't do that anymore!
  • marshamccorkle
    Options
    I try to keep me some to spare too.
  • cbjpl31
    cbjpl31 Posts: 5
    Options
    Years ago when I dieted I would go to bed hungry almost every single night. No wonder I failed!!!

My schedule dictates that I don't eat dinner until 8 or 9pm most every night. As long as I am within my daily calorie goal, I eat whenever I feel like it, even right before going to sleep and I'm still losing! I don't believe it matters if you eat right before bed. So, just reserve some calories and EAT! :)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump