losing around the mid section (belly)

Options
does anyone have any suggestions on how to lose belly fat. other then crunches.

Replies

• lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try a low carb diet. Doesn't need to be extreme...just cut back in the complex carbs like white bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta. No need to eliminate them but just cut back a bit. Hopefully this helps!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    No such thing as spot-reducing. As you continue to lose more weight, belly fat will begin to disappear. Just keep doing your cardio and you'll see changes in no time.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    fat loss is done throughout the body... no spot reduction... you can however, tone that area with planks and stretching. :)
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio to melt the fat?!?! Otherwise not sure. As you get closer to your goal weight you should notice your belly fat decrease, but everybody loses from different areas of the body at different times and I don't think you can really do much to target just belly fat.
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can expect answers like you cant spot reduce..but I too wish to see if you get any answers apart from "you cant spot reduce"
  • DrRazamataz
    Options
    They say "abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym"

Basically you can't really just lose belly fat, you'll probably have to lose overall body fat percentage. This will probably mean eating at a caloric deficit, or using exercise to make a daily or weekly deficit. Eat a lot of protein! It supports lean body mass and helps in other ways too! You can get a much better explanation from google. Good luck have fun!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. Trying to reduce fat in one area would be like trying to dry out a corner of the sponge while the rest of it is still wet. Focus on eating right and working out. It will happen eventually.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Crunches don't help unfortunately. From what I am told, you can do crunches all day everyday for years and never see your abs. Losing body fat is the only way to lose and it's the last to go. I can now attest to that. I have 13 lbs to get to goal and the belly WON'T LEAVE. So essentially, lowering your body fat percentage. A good mix of strength training and cardio. Hard work! That's it!
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can't technically lose weight around the mid section only. Because you can't spot reduce weight loss.
    So basically, just do a lot of cardio and weight will come off from around your body, depending on whatever your genetics says to! (like if your top heavy, bottom heavy, etc)

Crunches don't take fat off the mid section, it only strengthens some of the muscles around it!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. You tend to lose in the opposite of the way you gain. If you gain in the belly first, you'll lose the belly last. It's evil. But on the bright side by the time you get to the belly the rest of you will be looking great.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I agree with low carb suggestions but I would add sugar including sweet fruits. Berries are relatively low in sugar and high in vitamins and minerals.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You can expect answers like you cant spot reduce..but I too wish to see if you get any answers apart from "you cant spot reduce"

People say it because it is true. Other answers are eat a little less, move a little more, drink more water and LOWER YOUR BODY FAT PERCENTAGE. That is the answer. There is no magic answer unfortunately. Hard work. I'm working my darn tail off and have 13 lbs to go but my belly from having three kids just LOVES ME. :sad:
  • clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Where we gain/lose fat is a matter of genetics. crunches will ONLY work your abdominal muscles (inefficiently at that). You could have perfect washboard perfect abs from all the core work in the world and the only way that affects your midsection fat is by the raw calories burned and by increasing your metabolism (overall, not in any one area) and health. But this would happen working with any sort of strength exercise.

Unfortunately for you (and me, for that matter), we have little to no control about where our fat is deposited and the body decides what fat to glean away for use pretty indiscriminately. The only way it picks and chooses is in broad categories like "visceral fat" (fat around your organs) and "subcutaneous fat" (the fat most people are concerned about in regards to appearance). Even then, no one exercise will pick between those two.

I'm sorry I don't have any better advice for you. Your best bet is just to keep burning calories away! It could end up being you're just the body type/genetic type that's cursed with a "pooch". That sucks but....you can change a lot, but you'll probably just have to accept your genetics!!
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try a low carb diet. Doesn't need to be extreme...just cut back in the complex carbs like white bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta. No need to eliminate them but just cut back a bit. Hopefully this helps!

THIS ! I am on the Whole 30 diet ...just 4 days now and Ive dropped a couple of pounds and I can see definition in my abs. I didnt have a whole lot to lose but before I could see the muscle I did have under there!
    Also you can crunch til the cows come home but ti wont trim your midsection. You need a low carb diet AND lots of cardio along with yoru strength training...You are welcome to join me on my W30 adventure ..misery loves company HAHA , no really my withdrawals peeked yesterday and Im MUCH better this morning life if good!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    With the belly its all about your eating. Eat less sugar and more often and give your body time.....
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I think I tend to bloat a lot in the midsection, so in addition to "you can't spot reduce" I'll add that to control bloating, lower your salt intake and drink lots of water.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Walk fast enough to get your heart-rate in the mid range of your max. Mine is 135-140. At that rate you burn the most fat. I've walked almost 500 miles since Jan 1st and I've lost 36lbs and 9 inches off my belly. Spot exercising wont do it. Dieting alone will help but then you'll have a lot of skin just hanging there.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    You can't. You have to just lose weight in general. You can build muscle in particular parts of your body but you can't burn fat from just one place in your body.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump