Arthritic back and weight loss???

Years ago, I could run and do all kinds of exercises. Now, I'm down to walking and pilates and light activities. I may be able to exercise one day but be unable for the next two days. When I was diagnosed with an arthritic back in my mid-30s, I had no idea it would progressively get worse. Now my doctor is talking neurosurgeon. I'm curious if anyone else has such issues but is succeeding at their goals? I'm guessing I'm on the very slow road to weight loss :)

Replies

• stebben
    stebben Posts: 35 Member
    I am 45 yrs old. I have had 30 knee surgeries to include 5 knee replacements on one knee. I have 2 herniated discs in my neck and three herniated discs in my lower back as well as a hemangioma on my thoracic spine as well as degenerative joint disease and osteoarthritis. I live with pain each and every day of my life. I have found that exercise helps so much. I have been told that backs like knees need to be strengthened. Get with a trainer or physical therapist. In fact ask you doctor to refer to you physical therapy for a few weeks and let them show you what you need to do. I do water aerobics. Alot of people do water walking and other things. As you know weight loss is one of the biggest issues with back and joint pain. As we lose weight our joints begin to feel much better. I would really suggest that you see a physical therapist for a few weeks and let them show you what you need to do, even an e-stim unit may help a bit after exercise or even at other times during the day and night. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    My husband and I both have arthritis in our backs. His is worse with degenerative disk disease. I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my feet, knees. We both started walking this year and I'm down 36lbs and he's lost 26lbs :) I walk about 4 miles a day and he usually gets in 2. We also log our food on here and try to stay below our goal or close to it.
    I also do water aerobics. It's really easy on your joints.