How to get to an 11-minute mile?!?

Options
So I have my black belt test coming up in August. I train in Tang Soo Do karate 2-3 times a week, I take a "boot camp" 1 hour a week, yoga 1x a week, and get in 3-4 "jalks" a week. I say "jalk" because I'm not up toJOGGING a mile yet. It's a jog/walk. I've been working on it for about a month and I am getting better but it is SO hard! I end up jogging about half of the mile and walking the other half (in intervals). My overall pace is slow (about a 14-min mile on a good day)...so here's the kicker. i just found out we have to run this mile in under 11 minutes or it doesn't count. HELP! I also seem to have a weird breathing "habit" that I don't know if anyone else has probems with. I seem to only be able to go two steps per breath, and going "out of synch" seems to be an issue. I don't know if this stems from my years of learning to breathe in rhythmn to a musical beat or what the issue is. HELP AGAIN! Thanks in advance for your words of advice!

Replies

• jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anxious to hear responses
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    It's truly a mental game. What works for me is taking a song that's about something that motivates me sometimes for good reason, sometimes for not so good reasons. I focus on that. It got me to a half, finished in 2.2. Find what motivates you, an ex you hate, a friend you love, the feeling of accomplishment.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Christine, have you thought about trying c25k to help you get to running your full mile? You could always jump in on the week where you feel your running level is currently at instead of starting at the beginning.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also recommend C25k. As for the breathing issue, I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean, so I'll reserve advice.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look into the C25K (couch to 5K) program. I know you want to run a mile, but it's actually easier to run a mile faster if you can run farther slower. I think it takes 6-8 weeks depending on the program that you follow, and then you should be able to jog/run 3.1 miles without stopping. When you are at that point, you can start working on some speed drills, but honestly, running regularly and gradually increasing the interval/distance you can go without stopping will help the most in the beginning. Also, remember that the slower you jog, the longer you can go without stopping or walking, but as you begin to build up your endurance, your speed will naturally increase.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What's your endurance like? Can you do a couple 14 minute miles? And your test is to get to one single 11 minute mile?

Either way really, the answer is going to be to do intervals where you run faster than your goal speed, and then recover, repeat. As soon as your heartrate recovers, run again- don't draw out the recovery periods. I think doing this type of intervals is easiest on a treadmill since you have a specific time goal, but you can do them on a track timed or with a tool like the endomondo or runkeeper apps outside. To build speed, you have to add speed workouts. Running some hills will help build your stamina, too.

For the breathing, I was taught a long time ago to do something similar to a lamaz (sp?) he he hooo breathing. Actually, learning to focus on my breathing was sort of instrumental in learning to run for me. I go back to this style of breathing still when I'm doing particularly taxing intervals or hill repeats- though I've developed a more natural breathing rhythm for regular runs.

ETA: To clarify on the breathing- I mean two shorter inhales followed by one long (complete) exhale.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Doing speed intervals and fast walks helped me a lot with my speed. Also, get really good running shoes if you haven't already...and I don't just mean go out and get Nike's from JCP...go to a specialty running store and get properly fitted. I swear, ever since I got my Brooks from Maine Running Company a couple months ago, I've shredded my 1 mile run times (down to just under 10 min/mile). I still average about 11 if I run a 5k but that's improving too. I also agree with running hills. It amazes me how well I can do hills now! I stlll dread them but I don't have to stop and walk anymore.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on the breathing. What I do is breath in for two footfalls and breath out for two footfalls. Also, I like to count my steps - helps me focus.

ETA: practice, practice and more practice. The more often you do it, the better you will do. Good luck my friend!