Any tips on how to get in a good cardio workout with a 1 yea

I cant seem to do anything but walking pushing a stroller. How in the heck am I suposed to get in a good workout? Naps are only an occasional thing and even so , she is such a light sleeper that I wake her up. Anyone have any ideas or tips to share? Thanks!

Replies

• Sun-Shine
    Sun-Shine Posts: 46
    I cant seem to do anything but walking pushing a stroller. How in the heck am I suposed to get in a good workout? Naps are only an occasional thing and even so , she is such a light sleeper that I wake her up. Anyone have any ideas or tips to share? Thanks!
  • lcclane
    lcclane Posts: 11
    Even carrying your baby around the house counts as excerise! Look it up when you log your work out time, it's in there! What I like to do on the weekends when I don't go to the gym, is just get up and play! If the weather is nice, I like to go to a park, trying to keep up with my 16 month old is like running. I get break when she wants to swing. She loves music too, so we'll dance around the house like fools, but no one can see and it will keep her going if I join her. Wrestling on the floor, playing horsy, it all adds up! ANd it only takes a few minutes here and there. It all adds up. Some days it seems like I can log more of a workout for the day than going to the gym for 45 minutes. True, some days it feels like I get nothing done because we are playing all day, but life is too short to worry about the dishes and laundry. I'll just try to do those things when she is napping.
  • my best results have been gym classes..aerobics classes offered by a gym. I know it's expensive, but they usually provide care for young babies. I don't think I would be doing as well as I am today or pushing myself as hard without those classes.
    My only other advice is to find someone to watch your baby for one hour and do a workout DVD such as Tae Bo or anything that is hard core cardio. It's really hard to exercise properly if you have to worry about your child..you should be able to focus on yourself for that one hour to get the best possible cardio workout.
    I hope this has helped some.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Hello! My little girl is 2, so i know your frustration! I try to get to the gym in the am when my husband is still home...asleep! On the days i don't i do Turbo Jam workouts or The Firm....i get alot of toys out to keep her entertained and start a movie, yes i occasionally have to stop, but i take care of what i need then start again! During the diff. sets i peak into her room, and double check she is playing! We also go on bike rides, even running around outside with your child or going to the park can be great cardio!! Good luck!
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    my son is 5 months so i understand. its hard. people tell me to while he naps. . .he wont nap unless i hold him lol. i did find some that i can do with him
  • Boy, can I relate. I'm a single mom of 15 month old twins and work full time. I try to move around and play with them as much as possible when I get home from work and if I'm not too exhausted, I at least try to hop on the stationary bike after they've gone to sleep. It's not much and I'd like some variety but I guess it'll do until they're a little older.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    That's how I get in good cardio every day. My son is 10 months old and he really likes going for a walk. I just make sure I push myself, and when I log it into my exercise log, I log it as walking at a moderate pace, because I think the walking pushing a stroller is like, strolling at the mall. I already asked this question, that's how I know. I walk for an hour every day (almost) and we walk about two and a half miles in that walk. Just keep track of how far you go and log it a little differently. Plus, my son usually falls asleep on our walks and it's a good way to get outside. When we can't get out, I just do housework and that actually burns more calories.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    I lost the majority of my baby weight walking, pushing my toddlers. I also walked about 6miles plus a day and maintained a steady 4.0mph pace and did hill work, but I did lose weight and toned up great. Mine napped at different hours, so I understand. I broke up mini workouts 5 minutes at a time, doing low weight and high reps working complementary body parts. It is hard and takes a lot of determination, but it worked.
  • Sun-Shine
    Sun-Shine Posts: 46
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Its so hard to get anything done with little ones ! I am actually going to try putting her in her high chair with kitchen gadgets that keep her busy, that way I can see her and she can see me (heaven forbid I leave the room) and I can feel free to move around. I also Like the Firm videos and others. I really get a good workout when I do them. Thanks! The sad thing is.. This isnt even baby weight, I lost the baby weight and have since gained a TON for no reason! AGHH
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    There are a series of "10 Minute Solution" workout videos. They range from pilates to walking. They usually have about 5 ten min workouts on each dvd. I used the pilates one after my second child was born and it was easier to find 10 min here and there throughout the day rather than 30 -40 min straight.