battle of the sexes... venting

Options
for all my life i've always been a tomboy, actually this is something i pride myself upon. it's fun to run with the boys and even more fun when you out run them. i'm the kind of girl that has tons of guy friends, nothing sexual because after all to them, I'm "one of the guys" btw their girlfriends hate me. i get inside information that helps me understand men on a deeper level, they tell me things they wouldn't tell their gf because of fear or embarrassment, rejection, ridicule etc. i never abuse this trust!! i always keep it to myself and try to provide advice and support. nevermind the aesthetic perfection expectation society has on women but i've always had trouble feeling comfortable being a female, well a "lady" is more like it. i do wear make up (but probably not the way a typical girl would wear it), i have curves but there's something inside me that is tormented with being a female on an inner level vs. a superficial one. it seems society and even close family members have a certain expectation of me because i'm a female. people like my brother or my daughters father seem to get away with murder, yet my family really holds me accountable for every single mistake i make. i never understood this. why am i different, why do i have to live under certain rules that only pertain to me? for example: growing up my brother got a lot more of a lenient treatment from my parents vs. me. he got to do a lot more things at a younger age, more freedom to make mistakes and so on. yet any mistake i made never went unnoticed. i really believe it was because i am female and he is a male. think about it: parents USUALLY have a higher expectation and are stricter of their daughters vs. their sons. this is just an observation i've made in the 27 years that i've known different families, i'm sure not EVERYONE is this way but MOST that i've come to know are.

then theres the workplace, it seems so sexist. nevermind not getting paid as much as a man or getting hired for "how hot you look" but i'm a bartender and a single parent, and it's VERY hard to accommodate both my work + daughters schedule. none of the men i work with have this problem because well, hardly any of them are single parents because the child is usually living separately with their mothers. you would think that a corporate work place would be understanding to a single women's requests but i have gone through hell and back trying to figure out a way to make a living and still manage child care and my daughters education. I've heard time and time again, "well maybe this job isn't for you" yet i absolutely LOVE & excel at what i do, but if i were a man! i wouldn't have to worry about this because the child would be with it's mother and i'd be able to make a living and only visit my flesh and blood once a week meeting everyones "expectations" and everything is peachy. nevermind if your child is sick and you need to care for them, work requires a dr. note for every absence, who the F- goes to the Dr. for a cold or the flu? you have GOT to me kidding me.

it took me a very long time, and i even still struggle to this day with coming to terms of being a mother, in the sense of having to be nurturing, sweet, kind and all these feminine things. i'm not saying that i'm absolutely cold to my daughter, because her and i do have a great relationship, we joke around and i do comfort her when she needs support but for example when i take her to the park
i feel different watching all those other mothers baby their children. i tell my daughter that i love her everyday, and tell her that i'm so proud of her for being such a good student, friend, daughter and person. i kiss her goodnight every night and we have nicknames for each other but i'll never be like those mothers at the park who are feminine and sweet. that's just not me. actually i'm laughing now imagining how odd i must look since i'm into "alternative" fashion and music. i'm "the mother that's dressed in black and wears combat boots with a shaved head" yet my daughter is so well rounded and is in fact and always has been top of her class. i know all that matters is that i love my daughter and give her all she needs but my point is: i'll never be the "feminine sweet motherly" type. i do not fit in. i remember one of her class mates asked her "why does your mother look like that?" she answered "because she's a superhero!" so damn cute.

i do NOT hate men at all. in fact it's quite the opposite, i ENVY them. i hope that if i reincarnate, i'm born a man. it's difficult being a woman in a man's world, but its even more confusing and difficult to be a woman who thinks and sometimes acts like a man IN a man's world, i just don't fit in. like i said, i have a hard time being "a lady". nevermind not being overtly sexualized and exploited, but i'm rough, i have a boisterous laugh, i enjoy watching football, MMA events, i HATE shopping, i HATE cooking and i absolutely LOATHE dishwashing, i don't get pedicures or manicures or go to salons of any kind, i cut dye my own hair, EVERYBODY poops n farts, i love comic books, action movies, i have a sex drive like a man, i like muscle cars, i like working on cars, Rambo & Rocky are my hero's! i'm aggressive, i'm even a lil egotistical, stubborn and somewhat narcissistic like a man and would really be a great alpha-male if only i had a male counterpart. strangers have even mistaken me for being a lesbian because i'm so tough. but really it's quite the opposite, i absolutely LOVE men.

as of lately, (1 1/2 weeks) i've hit a plateau, and it's really starting to depress me. i know i know, all i have to do is "be patient. change up your routine, eat more, life weights, use a ruler not a scale " blah blah blah. i know & practice all this yet (well except the patience part because i have no patience obviously) i'm still stuck. and behold here is another reason why i absolutely regret not being born a man... when my guy friends lift weights for one session, you can tell. it takes me 3-4 times the amount to show significance. when my guy friends follow the same routine of weight loss, they lose 1.5-2x's the amount i lose. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! i know, I KNOW. it's because men only need 3% body fat to survive vs a woman needs 18% to always be prepared for child bearing. it's JUST NOT FAIR! i don't even LIKE KIDS!! (except my daughter) i know i KNOW, men have way more muscle mass so they're able to burn fat off way faster then females... I KNOW I KNOW!!!! IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!! you have no idea how mad it makes me, every time i go to the bench press to switch the weights from what my BF lifts to what i have to lift it's absolutely depressing me. i'm not going to give up, but as of lately i've been so depressed being stuck on this stupid plateau. i'm not saying men don't hit plateaus but my personal current situation only feeds my inner turmoil of hating the fact i was born a woman. yes, i think i'm even borderline sexist against other women, which probably makes no sense but i just think so highly of men. *guH* thanks for reading this entirely through.

any advice would be helpful but if you're a man about to post about "how much easier women have it then men" try being a woman for 30 days, then you can add your comment. and i know you're thinking "but women have T&A" well men have D&B :P

-stephanie-

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Everything about you is womanly because you are a woman... simple as that!

and yes you are going to get responses from men denying that they have any kind of advantage or that they ever have. Just remember, most people have a hard time recognising their own privilege.
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain, especially when it comes to strength or lack thereof. Sometimes I wish I were born a man but only when it comes to physical strength. I don't necessarily hold them in high regard in respect to anything else to be honest. I'm not saying that men don't have value, they definitely do just nothing particularly spectacular in my opinion (compared to your opinion). I know all I can do is get as strong as I possibly can in my female body. Other than that I adore being a woman, but then again in my opinion being a woman means so much more than what other people typically think it does. I agree with Nataliaho. You define what it is to be a woman simply by being one. We (as in women) all do and that's part of what keeps me sane :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not about to tell you as a man that being a man is harder than being a woman and in all honesty, I like being a male but not because of the priviledges but rather because I like having the equipment I've been given by god. Its like a friend that always likes to play and I'm very attached to it :)

But anyways, on the topic. I think sometimes grass seems greener on the other side. Families have a lot of expectations from men of the family also. They might be different from women bu they're there.

Edit: BTW, when I clicked on the thread I was about to write "Not this *kitten* again" but you don't sound like the typical man bashing women on MFP so I tried to give you a reasonable answer. However, make no mistake, theres a 90% chance this thread will turn into man hating thread and will likely get locked by tomorrow morning after mods wake up.

I do bid you good luck though and hope you feel better
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

and yes you are going to get responses from men denying that they have any kind of advantage or that they ever have. Just remember, most people have a hard time recognising their own privilege.

Perfect.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Great rant, love it!

There is no perfect way to parent or set way to be a "mother", you just be you and your child will love you for that. Your child won't grow up and wish she had someone different. My daughter for instance is dark and I am light so I would never ever want her to be embarassed of her "pale" mom but be proud of me because we are different. You're different, strut it, be proud!

I get the whole guy thing and most don't get to raise their kids nor do all the hard work. I get that with my daughter's father, he gets to paddleboard, travel all the time (gosh when's the last time I had someone take my kids for days on end so I could get a vacay? Not possible- no one could watch my kids for 10 days while I go somewhere and get them to school and pick them up, etc since we don't live in the same town as anyone that could do that.), he gets to surf and live a very free life while me and her stepdad (my husband) get to discipline, make sure she's home on time and staying on task, help with homework, be a taxi driver, take to appointments all the real fun stuff. When he gets her- he gets to go to the beach with her. BUT I am satisfied in knowing ath I have done a good job with her and she will know that when she grows up and that I put A LOT OF DAM$ hard work into her! lol.

It is also not fair that I do know men who have naturally slender bodies and just workout and bulk up and look great while I workout and workout for little to no results. Dont' feel bad my plateau is over a month. Yeah me..
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Most people also have an easy time blaming everyone/everything but themselves.

Folks usually have a hard time believing that its not their gender, race, religion or age. Sometimes...its just them
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i really do appreciate those of you who were brave enough to post any response to this thread. i really wasn't trying to begin a coalition against women or men at all and i'm so glad so far nobody has taken this thread there cuz that is not my intention. i do not hate men or women i just simply do not feel comfortable being a female in this world and i was pointing out the examples that are very real in my life of why it is i wish i were born a man, some you can relate to, others you do not understand. this is something that is deeply rooted in me that i cannot pin point where it started from. believe me, i've even contemplated becoming a man medically but that just isn't natural (in my opinion). for some reason i was born a woman and i'm supposed to figure out why it is that i have to go through life as a woman, among other things of course. btw... did you know that it's easier for a man to become a woman vs. a woman to become a man medically speaking? again, i am not trying to spark controversy or bash anyone i am simply venting.

"everything about you is womanly because you are a woman" is absolutely right. that's very beautiful and i thank you for that. i'm comfortable being me when i'm alone, but when it comes to society, relationships, friendships, rules, expectations, career, media and even family i do not feel comfortable and wish i were a man a lot of the time. i'm not saying that every single negative thing that happens to me is because i am female because that's ridiculous. i know life is what i make it, but i cannot help but feel uncomfortable with being female.

i'm just one tiny ant of a person up against this tsunami of a tidal wave. that's how i feel right now.
    i'm not really trying to drive any particular point across, or convert anyone's point of view because that's the beauty of venting right?

thank you all
    -s-