Protein powder - does it matter which type?

Options
AthenaErr
AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
I am looking mainly to lose weight and get toned - and Im female. I thought I might try some protein powder as my protein intake isnt quite at the 1g per lb of lean body mass I see recommended on here. Ive seen a few threads recommending diff powders on taste/mixability. But I am a little confounded by whats out there.

Does it matter what type I buy (eg: whey, casein, soy etc) I have no food restrictions/allergies.
Anyone got a cheap one they'd recommend - ideally available in the UK - focus is on cheap to be honest unless there is a reason why the cheap ones arent worth it

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I use the Impact Whey protein from myprotein.com. I have the strawberry cream flavour which is really nice. I also bought a scoop and a shaker (only a couple of quid) which makes mixing it up really easy. They do various other powders too that vary in price. If you don't have a problem with whey, then the Impact Whey is good. There are vegan ones too and more expensive ones for performance or body building, which you don't really need if you're just trying to increase your protein intake. Each scoop of the Impact Whey protein contains about 19g of protein (less for the chocolate flavours) and you can mix with milk, water or a mix of both.

They do charge delivery, but it's next day and they are very reliable.

Carolyn x
  • bloodoner
    bloodoner Posts: 9
    Options
    I use two different types of protein and two different brands for those proteins.

Whey protein is usually the cheapest.

Whey protein isolate is more refined and is more expensive.

Casein protein is much slower digesting protein and great for a bedtime shake so your body has fuel throughout the night and does not take from your muscles while you sleep.

I use the brand Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein for general use. It mixes well and consists of whey, whey isolate, and some casein.

I use Dynamize 100% Hydrolyzed Whey Protein. It is an isolate that mixes exceptionally well, has no fat or carbs and absorbs quickly into your system. It's great for those on a strict diet because of the zero carbs, zero fat aspect.

I use Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein before bed. It mixes well but takes more effort to make sure there are no clumps. It tastes great.
  • bloodoner
    bloodoner Posts: 9
    Options
    I forgot to mention that Optimum Nutrition Products are very affordable for the quality you get. Best value by far. The Dynamize is expensive but of very high quality.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At your Weight. You should be able to eat clean enough to hit your Protein Goals without Shakes.

Whey is the easy to find, Normally Cheaper as well. It's a good alround Protein Source to use. Soy is ok in smaller amounts. Men shouldn't touch soy at all. Just make sure you Protein as added Amino Acids and is low in Calories and Carbs. Many powders have a high ratio of Caloires/Carbs vs Protein.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I use the Impact Whey protein from myprotein.com. I have the strawberry cream flavour which is really nice. I also bought a scoop and a shaker (only a couple of quid) which makes mixing it up really easy. They do various other powders too that vary in price. If you don't have a problem with whey, then the Impact Whey is good. There are vegan ones too and more expensive ones for performance or body building, which you don't really need if you're just trying to increase your protein intake. Each scoop of the Impact Whey protein contains about 19g of protein (less for the chocolate flavours) and you can mix with milk, water or a mix of both.

They do charge delivery, but it's next day and they are very reliable.

Carolyn x

Another vote for myprotein, they are the best in the uk!!!
    They do 99p sample packs too so you can try out different flavours and don't get stuk with a massive tub of something you don't like.

I've used impact whey, it's good but pretty runny just like flavoured milk.
    I prefer thicker shakes so I used impact whey deluxe or true whey with ice and milk, and they come out just like a McDonald's!!
    Choc is the best, followed by strawberry if you blend it with frozen bananas :-)

Eta - whey generally mixes better. I've tried the milk protein smooth and it was rank, like drinking sand!!!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein powder everday, like you to increase my daily protein intake.

I have a chocolate flavoured protein powder blended with almond milk (whatever milk you prefer) and a banana - delicious, after a workout. I also have it mixed in my porridge for breakfast.

A lot of people on here recommend the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder:

http://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey

They are also selling it in larger Tesco stores at the moment for about £25.00 for a large tub, that will last you a while.

Give it a try:flowerforyou:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Athena - Whey is standard the higher the protein % the better, lower fat & sugar the better. The cheaper ones will have more fats & sugars, its a balance between what you want & what you can afford.

(IMO) For me Soy is counterproductive it has an effect on estrogen levels & Casien isn't needed unless you are going the competition route, as stated just my opinions :)

I use eBay & generally buy Pro Elite, although I have just changed to a mass gainer, but Pro Elite mixes well & tastes fine(with milk).

Russ
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Athena, see if there is a Vitamin shop nearby and speak with the guys in there.

Very helpful and cheap, I have started on Profimass (half protein / half carbs) for the extra in both areas
  • ddardeen
    ddardeen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use two different types of protein and two different brands for those proteins.

Whey protein is usually the cheapest.

Whey protein isolate is more refined and is more expensive.

Casein protein is much slower digesting protein and great for a bedtime shake so your body has fuel throughout the night and does not take from your muscles while you sleep.

I use the brand Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein for general use. It mixes well and consists of whey, whey isolate, and some casein.

I use Dynamize 100% Hydrolyzed Whey Protein. It is an isolate that mixes exceptionally well, has no fat or carbs and absorbs quickly into your system. It's great for those on a strict diet because of the zero carbs, zero fat aspect.

I use Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein before bed. It mixes well but takes more effort to make sure there are no clumps. It tastes great.

I use all of the same products here. Excellent as far as value, and have higher protein and lower carb/sugar than products you can just buy in stores. Bodybuilding.com is also very quick to ship, usually have my stuff within a few days.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will probably just get the cheapest thing on myprotein delivered and start there.