first day and starving!

Options

Replies

• Detectiveajt
    Options
    Yes, but It will take time. For some people it works fast for them, and for other it takes a little more time. As long as you stick to it. and workout for at less 30min every other day you will be fine............................................... p.s. be creative making food to eat that will help out more then what you think...............................................p.s.#2 Drink a lot of waaaaattttteeeerrr!!!!!!!!
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Lots of green veggies!!!!

Low in cals, filling.

Oh, and coffee. Yeah, coffee.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Oh, and coffee. Yeah, coffee.

That's just a given though... right? :happy:
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Checkout this great Youtube blog and they also have a 'group' on here. I've recently increased my caloric intake from what MFP said (1260), to 1581 min. up to 2000 depending on exercise. I have lost...so doing well so far! Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee

Group on here is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

happy journey
  • MrsHobbit
    MrsHobbit Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. The first week or so of anything new is always difficult ~ exercising, eating less, new job, etc. Accept that as part of your new lifestyle. Don't "diet" - just change what you eat and how much, exercise when you can, drink lots of water, flavored water, hot teas, cold tea. Eat every 3 hours but keep track and try to plan your whole day. If you eat often, you won't be as hungry and less likely to eat what you shouldn't. I find buying the right foods to begin with is one of the biggest keys to success. Then "TRACK FOOD" as often as you can throughout the day so you remember what you've eaten. I usually save a goodie for dessert....I made it through the day and now I can have my treat. I choose a 100 calorie fudgsicle or whatever you find you would look forward to. Other people who replied have great ideas, so use them and you will lose weight. Keep in mind this phrase:
    "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS". If you've lost weight before, it's an amazing feeling to be light and lean. You will have more energy, feel more confident, & buy some cool new clothes. Just do this and you'll be amazed how people start to look at you differently. So many good things will come of it. Keep in mind that once you are down to your goal, keep tracking your food and exercise. For those of us who gain weight by looking at it! we need to keep it up and never take our "slimness" for granted! It's a Change for the Good - looks, lifestyle, and health. Hope this rambling helped.
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options
    Can you list what you ate - as a lot of previous people have said it may be what you are eating that is the issue. This way we could give you more specific advice.

I only started dieting last week and I am trying to stick to about 1200-1300 calories (less than the 1440 they tell me) as I want to lose weight faster. I am not experiencing any huge hunger pains and sometimes feel I am just eating as I think I should.

I am also exercising a lot on top of this but I am using these calories as a bonus.

I understand if you don't want to list the foods though.

To give you an idea (and I admit this may not be the healthiest) but a standard day for me is:

Breakfast - protein shake with banana

Lunch - soup

Dinner - 2 sushi hand rolls, glass of red wine

Snacks - Apple, Museli Bar with chocolate chips, diet coke, water

This puts me on approx 1250 calories

I am going salsa dancing tonight so that will be between 400-800 calories as well.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    This will pass. I recommend soups, because they are suspended in liquid, they stay in the stomach longer and take longer to leave and digest.
    Also we have to admit are stomachs are not trained to eat in correct portions. When is the last time a restaurant served a meal the appropriate size, unless you ordered an appy. So my suggestion is start with your setting at -.5/week and eat your exercise calories. You will still lose weight, just not as dramaticaly. Then change the setting to a bigger deficit when you are ready. You will get full sooner, and you will be amused when you dish up and can only eat half.
    Starving when you don't have to is discouraging. Skip it and feel good about the small changes.
  • ExcusesStopHere
    Options
    Can you list what you ate - as a lot of previous people have said it may be what you are eating that is the issue. This way we could give you more specific advice.

I only started dieting last week and I am trying to stick to about 1200-1300 calories (less than the 1440 they tell me) as I want to lose weight faster. I am not experiencing any huge hunger pains and sometimes feel I am just eating as I think I should.

I am also exercising a lot on top of this but I am using these calories as a bonus.

I understand if you don't want to list the foods though.

To give you an idea (and I admit this may not be the healthiest) but a standard day for me is:

Breakfast - protein shake with banana

Lunch - soup

Dinner - 2 sushi hand rolls, glass of red wine

Snacks - Apple, Museli Bar with chocolate chips, diet coke, water

This puts me on approx 1250 calories

I am going salsa dancing tonight so that will be between 400-800 calories as well.

This is what I ate, and yeah this isn't even half or a portion of how I usually eat.
    Generic - Home-Brewed Coffee W/ 2 Tbs Sugar, Cream,
    Kellogg's - Special K Red Berries W/ Whole Milk, 62 g Special K with 125ml Whole Milk

Lunch
    Generic - Grilled Tri Tip Steak
    Vietnamese - Pho, Chicken

Dinner
    Chicken Stir Fry - Stir-Fried Vegetables With Chicken or Pork
    Generic - Home-Brewed Coffee W/ 2 Tbs Sugar, Cream

Snacks
    Carrots - Baby, raw, 2 large
    Sabra - Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
    Meat - Italian Dry Salami,
    Carrots - Baby, raw
    Peaches - Raw, 1 small

plus I did Insanity and some "light, moderate cleaning" for an hour and a half.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Best thing for you is to eat little but often - I have 6 meals a day because I have the same problem as you, works a treat as I never feel hungry :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think eating less does take a bit of getting used to - and you need to experiment to see what foods keep you full.
    Most people say that protein fills them up - but for me, I need some carbs in there too or I'm still hungry. There is no right or wrong here, its' all experimenting.
    Don't feel you have to eat less than the calories MFP has suggested - that amount already includes a deficit so you can eat everyone of those cals plus the cals you burn exercing and you still have your deficit to allow you to lose weight.
    If you find that this amount is still too little for you after a week or two, you might need to adjust your goals to make the deficit slightly smaller - for me, 1450 net cals (ie. 1450 plus exercise cals) is as low as I can go, or I get REALLY grumpy!

I agree with this. What works for one person, may or may not work for another. Success in weight loss means learning what works best for YOU -- not what works for me, your co-worker, mom, brother, husband, etc. YOU. Does it take some time to figure it out? Absolutely.

Also, keep in mind that MFP's numbers are a place to start. They are not set in stone. I find this website sometimes restricts calories too much. For me, the maintenance calories they recommend are too low for me when I'm actively losing weight. I learned this by simply playing around with numbers. I've learned that I can push my body as high as 3000+ calories a day (yes, a day and yes, this is NET calories) and I'll still maintain my weight. It is all about learning your body.

Good Luck!
  • Denasally
    Denasally Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you guys get Philadelphia Light in the US ? if so there are hundreds of receipes you can try and all from 250 -500 calories including desserts like chocolate fruit summer pudding. Last night i had salmon fillet steamed mushrooms spinach baby corn, a tbsp of extra light helmanns mayo, topped off with the chocolate summer fruit pudding made with philadelphia light. Came to about, 320 calories total, and I felt stuffed ! had two chocolate ( 30% less fat ) digestive biscuits as well .And lost another pound this morning. I sound like an advert, but if you have a craving for cheese like me, its a saviour.
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is what I ate, and yeah this isn't even half or a portion of how I usually eat.
    Generic - Home-Brewed Coffee W/ 2 Tbs Sugar, Cream,
    Kellogg's - Special K Red Berries W/ Whole Milk, 62 g Special K with 125ml Whole Milk

Lunch
    Generic - Grilled Tri Tip Steak
    Vietnamese - Pho, Chicken

Dinner
    Chicken Stir Fry - Stir-Fried Vegetables With Chicken or Pork
    Generic - Home-Brewed Coffee W/ 2 Tbs Sugar, Cream

Snacks
    Carrots - Baby, raw, 2 large
    Sabra - Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
    Meat - Italian Dry Salami,
    Carrots - Baby, raw
    Peaches - Raw, 1 small

plus I did Insanity and some "light, moderate cleaning" for an hour and a half.

I would drop the two tablespoons of sugar in the two daily coffees and eat the 180 calories that sugar has in the form of fruit or vegetables.

Hummus is a good snack, but commercial ones are loaded with oil and other fats. Cooked chickpeas have 115-130cal per 100 grams. The hummus you've eaten on this example has already 70 cals / 28 grams (so 250 cal / 100 grams). See the difference? By choosing less sugar and less oil you can eat more and keep your calories down, which means you'll feel fuller longer.

Also, up your fruit and veggie intake. Guidelines suggest about 500grams/day total (that's more than a pound of fruit and veggies). If you chose low cal veggies (peas for instance have 3-4 times more calories than say lettuce or spinach), you again can eat more and feel fuller.

It's all in the small changes.
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You have gotten some great advice. I noticed in your post that you say you have obsessive issues with food. I understand this because I do as well. What this means is that along with the finding all the practical solutions to changing your eating habits there is going to be an inner thought process that also has to change. what is helpful for me is to ask myself "what am I hungry for?" Often it's not for food but for something else. I'm bored, or lonely or anxious, angry or tired. This doesn't necessarily change my eating patterns right away, but awareness is the first step to change things. Right now I am caught up in a sleep/wake pattern that just makes me want to eat all night long. I'm tired, not hungry. I haven't quite figured out how to fix this issue yet, so I'm trying to minimize the damage.....Just remember it's a process. There will be good days and bad, pounds lost, then gained, then lost again. Some exercise sessions will feel great or others more punishing. Just keep reminding yourself of all of your success. And keep an eye out for obsessive dieting rather than obsessive eating. Just be patient with yourself and don't give up. :smile:
  • MrsMichaud88
    Options
    Higher protein and fiber plus lots of water! Snacking on almonds is a great way to fill yourself without overdoing it, one serving is about 28 nuts. Eating one at a time and chewing really well makes it feel like you're eating a lot more. For me that helps bc I am a notorious snacker. :happy:
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you were eating around 3000, then my suggestion would be to start with 1900 for a week, or maybe even 2100, and then go down to what MFP suggests. This way your body can adjust more gradually.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OP: My first three days I thought I was going to die from hunger. I did NOT realize just how much I had been eating on a day to day basis until I started using MFP. My calorie goal is very similar to yours. I am limited to 1440 a day and let me tell you, that first day I reached my goal before NOON! Crazy.

Yes, your body will adjust and yes, you will get to the point where you will learn what you eat makes a big difference in how full you feel afterward.

I encourage you to eat back your exercise calories, at least in the beginning. Your body is going to go through a "what the hell" period because you are changing your habits. Eating those calories will help you to manage the hunger. After a month or two, you can reevaluate how you feel and you may discover that you don't always want to eat them back because you aren't hungry enough to do so.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you're looking for encouragement. :flowerforyou:
  • SBecken87
    SBecken87 Posts: 48
    Options
    It takes time for your body to adjust and thats a big difference, maybe cutting back slowly would be better instead of dramatically reducing your calorie intake all at once. Plus if you've just eaten and still hungry drink a bunch of water, it'll trick your mind into thinking your full.
  • livelyem22
    livelyem22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit grumbly in the tummy ey? try drinking hot water and lemon. You can put in a small pinch of salt too. (gets rid of that really sour taste) It helps stop cravings, helps digestion, gets rid of toxins in your body. plus heaps more benefits!
    Good luck! :)
  • SBecken87
    SBecken87 Posts: 48
    Options
    oh and I seen someone else say that some members struggle to reach their calorie diet after changing eating habits and its true. Yesterday I was really under but I just wasnt hungry!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I would urge you to make sure you eat the highest fiber foods you can find and pair them with protein and fat. A little fat is very helpful to satisfying hunger and the protein and fiber combination will help sustain that satiety much longer than a meal that is not complete i.e. carb only or carb/veg, or carb/protein (no fat) etc.

Try and get carb/fat/protein at each meal and snack and lots of fiber and lots of water.

Fantastic advice! Dont worry for a second about going over MFPs protein setting! Its low!x