harder to lose baby weight the second time around?

Options
My husband and I have been talking about having a baby for a while now. I currently have one son who will be 4 next week and we would like him to have a sibling to grow up with.

I would like to get to a healthy weight first with the goal of losing 35 lbs by the end of the year which would give ma w BMI of 22.

The first time around, I gained 65 lbs. I was working a desk job and eatting a lot of fast food. It took about a year and a half to lose the weight which I did by restricting and walking.

The second time around Is like to make healthier food choices and be more active.

I was wondering if ny moms have found with each child it was more difficult to lose weight? Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to stay fit while pregnant.

Ive been told that its silly of me to lose weight only to gain it back, but I think a healthy lifestyle and BMI would be best.

Replies

• jcarlson20
    Options
    I think you will be able to lose the weight again. I know that when you are making healthier choices during your pregnancy you don't again as much and still will have a healthy baby. I just had my second baby about ten months ago and prior to getting pregnant I had had made some life style changes. I started to eating healthy, exercising 3-5 times a week, and taking advocare products. So when I got pregnant with my second I only gained 20lbs where with my first I gained over 50lbs. Don't remember the exact amount it was 8 years ago. Know I am back working on my weight loss journey again eating healthy, exercising 3-5 times a week, and taking advocare products. I have lost my 20lbs I gained from the baby, but trying for another 40 to reach my goal weight.
  • naalki
    naalki Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi I have 3 and i found it harder each time..BUT i didn't watch what i ate at all...so i guess my own fault..lol..I have a friend and she had no problem cause she ate healthy through the pregnancy and still exercised..she went to the gym and everything..so if you want to you can do it...
  • Zisaleh
    Zisaleh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Totally possible to do. I've done it many times. With hard work and eating right! Anyone who sets their mind to it and works for it can do it!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's silly at all to try and lose some weight before conceiving. You will increase your chances of conception and a healthy pregnancy by getting to a healthy weight.

I did a lot of walking through both pregnancies and that helped to keep me fit. I didn't gain much weight with my first pregnancy but with my second, due to an underactive thyroid, I had gained 4 stone by 5 months! Once my thyroxine dose was sorted out I didn't gain much more at all, which I think was partly due to all the walking I had to do to get my son to pre-school.

Walking and swimming are excellent ways of keeping fit during pregnancy. If you are used to doing a lot of exercise anyway you will be able to continue with some of it while you are pregnant but check with your doctor as to which will be suitable to continue as not all exercises are. You may also have to modify or cut down as your pregnancy progresses, but be guided by your doctor. Also it will vary on your individual condition and any complications, which hopefully you won't have!

Wishing you the best :flowerforyou:

Carolyn x
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did it three times. Each time I waited until my babies were toddlers. It's totally doable. I can't really remember how long it took each time. I do know the last one took a little over a year to lose 60lbs. That's all I really remember.

Just tackle it and keep it up.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    Options
    I have had 3 kids and it was just as easy to lose the weight the third time as it was the first. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you go through the pregnancy knowing you want to be healthier and have the healthiest baby possible. For me I ate a lot better on my third pregnancy because I knew I didn't want to gain an excessive amount of weight.

My last baby is just shy of 11 months and I am currently 21lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight.
  • broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's doable...after my first, I waited about 3 1/2 years to start losing...got down to pre-pregnancy weight and then got pregnant with baby number 2. Got back up to the exact weight I was after having my first. Started 3 years later to lose the weight and am currently back to pre-pregnancy weight (was same pre weight and same after having the babies). I have also been thinking of having another but want to get to my goal weight first as well. I want to be healthier during my pregnancy and hopefully not gain as much this time around. It's better for the baby and myself if I am not already overweight when I get pregnant. Plus, it makes it easier to get pregnant if you aren't overweight.
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I found the weight came off more easily with my second. I was back to my pre pregnancy weight within 3 months. It only took about 5 months with my first. For me, i think this was mostly about not gaining a great deal of weight with my pregnancies. First pregnancy it was 13kg and second was 10kg.

My diet was healthy - I snacked on lots of fruit (couldn't get enough crunchy apples!) and with both pregnancies, I couldn't stand the smell of deep fried food, so there was no chance of eating it! I tried to keep as active as I could, especially with my first, where I continued going to the gym until 26 weeks and was also doing a pregnancy exercise class. Both pregnancies I walked lots, because it's my preferred mode of transport for short journies.

After baby was born, I would go for a walk most days with baby in the stroller. I also joined a post natal yoga class.

It is totally possible to loose the weight and to even keep weight gain to a healthy amount, if you stick to a mostly healthy diet and get some moderate exercise (unless you are advised not to).
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    After my first I ended up creepy skinny because I was 18, vegan, and nursing constantly.
    After my second I lost the baby weight immediately but gained 20lbs during that year because I was really sick during my pregnancy and was thrilled to be able to eat again. So I ate. Too much. :/
    I just had my third two months ago. I was on meds to avoid hyperemesis, so I gained the most with that pregnancy (35-40lbs as opposed to the 20-25 I gained during the first two.) So far I'm down 30lbs. The first 20 was gone within a month on its own, but I've had to really work for the last 10lbs I've lost. At this point I'm not really losing baby weight but rather the chub that I gained before even getting pregnant.
    You have already changed your lifestyle to a healthy one. If you maintain your current way of thinking/living/eating throughout your pregnancy you probably won't gain very much, and you'll likely be able to drop it pretty quickly.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I believe its recommended to be at a healthy weight when conceiving so it sounds like your on the right track. I did find it harder with each pregnancy to get the weight back off. With all 3 I was at a healthy weight from the start of the pregnancies and gained 25-30 lbs with each one. My 1st one I was 18 and didn't have to be strict with eating or exercising and the weight was back at prepregnancy in 3 months. My 2nd baby it took 4 months but I. Exercised a little bit to push to get to my prepreg wgt. My last one I had to watch what I ate and exercise a lot more harder and frequent to get my weight back-which took 4 1/2 mos. I also believe genetics plays a big roll in it along with age
  • lacymemphis
    Options
    I joined to lose the babyweight the 3rd time around. I think if you eat right and stay active while your pregnant you should be able to lose it. I ate whatever I wanted (think a milkshake using a pint of ice cream and a quart of milk, in one sitting) and didnt get excercise. If you are already in a healthy lifestyle it'll prob be easy. Just dont let your coworkers stuff you with chik-fil-a and cheesecake!
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    After my first I ended up creepy skinny because I was 18, vegan, and nursing constantly.
    After my second I lost the baby weight immediately but gained 20lbs during that year because I was really sick during my pregnancy and was thrilled to be able to eat again. So I ate. Too much. :/
    I just had my third two months ago. I was on meds to avoid hyperemesis, so I gained the most with that pregnancy (35-40lbs as opposed to the 20-25 I gained during the first two.) So far I'm down 30lbs. The first 20 was gone within a month on its own, but I've had to really work for the last 10lbs I've lost. At this point I'm not really losing baby weight but rather the chub that I gained before even getting pregnant.
    You have already changed your lifestyle to a healthy one. If you maintain your current way of thinking/living/eating throughout your pregnancy you probably won't gain very much, and you'll likely be able to drop it pretty quickly.
    [/quote

Looking bck on my pregnancy, i realize this is part of why i gained so much. I love food, but for about three months into the pregnancy my body was just like NO! Once the meds came along i was having 3am ice cream snacks just because i could. Should i ever get pregnant again i know to get the meds early and still eat healthy. I think the hardest part was retraining my mind to understand that i did not need that big a portion. I acutally lost 10 ibs in those first few months, constanly joked about hos pregnancy was the weight loss plan.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I found it hard losing after baby #2 moreso than baby #1 as I had two kids to look after....but it can be done! :)
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, this defiantly give me some hope!

I figure if I get to my goal weight of 138 and don't put on 65lbs I should be ok.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I found it easier the second time as I was more active during the second pregnancy and afterwards, I got back to exercising with a lot more determination than the first.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For both my pregnancies I ended up at the exact same weight at delivery even though I started off 10 lbs heavier with my second. I gained 50 and 40 lbs and my babies were only 6 and 7lbs!!!! I lost all of the weight from my second but it took a good year or so. I still haven't lost the last 10 lbs from my first:(

My advice (that I really wish I would've followed!!!): GET TO YOUR GOAL WEIGHT BEFORE GETTING PREGNANT and only gain the recommended 25-35 lbs.
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just had my second child 3 months ago. I gained a lot the first time, and gained even more the second time. But that is because I was less active and had waaaaay more cravings for cake and stuff. But luckily both times I lost weight quickly with restricting calories and choosing healthy foods. Just eat healthy while you are pregnant, and continue post partum. The weight should come off just fine. :) I've already lost 44 pounds. :D
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I just had my second child 3 months ago. I gained a lot the first time, and gained even more the second time. But that is because I was less active and had waaaaay more cravings for cake and stuff. But luckily both times I lost weight quickly with restricting calories and choosing healthy foods. Just eat healthy while you are pregnant, and continue post partum. The weight should come off just fine. :) I've already lost 44 pounds. :D

Wtg, that's awesomely inspiring!! Thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies so sorry if you've already heard this!!
    I have found it so much easier the second time around!! In fact I had lost all my baby weight from my second baby plus all the baby weight from my first baby (that I hadn't lost in between) plus a couple of extra kgs in the 9 months after she was born!! I'm actually smaller now then when I got married.
    I put of heaps of weight while pregnant (and all over too - I wasn't one of those ladies who looked like they'd put a ball up their shirt!!) at least 25kg each time (so 55lbs) but then had 10lb + babies so a fair bit of it was baby.