30ds question...

Options
I've heard that JM does not do enough of a warm up or cool down on this. Can I get some suggestions, especially for extra warm up things? Right now I am doing the 30 ds at about 6 am. Jumping jacks are still hard for me anytime, but my knees and ankles really struggle at first, so I think I need more of a warm up.

Replies

• rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Someone HAS to have a suggestion!
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can you maybe do some light jogging (in place) for a few minutes before you start? Or how about doing her warm up and then repeating it?
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my second round and feel that her warm up is adequate. You should google ideas for warming up before strength training cardio sessions if you feel you need more. The warm up she does on each level is specifically designed to help loosen the muscles you are going to use during that level so it would be difficult to give ideas based on each work out. Maybe you should do the warm up sequence as is just pause it and go through it again or do each warm up move a little longer and then hit play when you feel you are warmed up. Good luck.
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't do any extra warm up for the 30DS. I do find it hard to do the jumps.

However, on days when I combine 25 minutes of running, followed right away by my 30DS routine, I feel that the movements are much easier. I also burn more calories on those 30DS days, because my heart rate is already up from of the running. And my jumps are much easier.

Hope this helps!
  • KristieWade
    Options
    I would google ideas for warming up! My workout videos have me do 10 exersises at 30 seconds a piece to warm up.. it's a total of 5 minutes and is accurate.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Do you stretch? I do the stretches that she does at the end of the video in the beginning as well before I even push play. You gotta stretch or you will hurt badly
  • _jen
    _jen Posts: 11
    Options
    You could maybe try a few minutes of marching on the spot before doing Jillian's warm up? If you swing your arms and bring your knees up high this is a good, low-impact full-body warm-up. :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    And I thought this was a question on mammalian protruberances.............lol
  • svwb
    svwb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WHOA, if you wreck your knees and ankles, you will not be doing any exercise. No pain, no gain refers to muscles, not joints. I'd say when you get to the jumping jacks section, substitute an energetic low impact move while she does the jacks. For instance, do hamstring curls (basically bring your heel to your butt, one leg at a time) while also pulling your arms down from over your head (slightly bend at elbows, then go from over your head till your elbows hit your waistline). Pull down as your heel lifts up. Put a little bounce in it and you will burn plenty without the impact.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've just begun this programme, and I've been doing yoga before I begin her workout. Not long, but enough to warm me up. Perhaps that would be good for you? I have bad knees, and even though she says that the jumping jacks aren't supposed to be modified, I do intense alternating leg lifts and jumping jack arms. Jumping out like that is just too much strain on my knees, so I've found a way to adjust. I think the biggest thing with working out is to make sure not to hurt yourself. If you find yourself hurting, perhaps you should modify it a bit. I make sure to keep both arms and legs moving and to keep my heart rate up, and it's worked so far. Besides, how will you truly benefit from the exercise if you don't want to do it again because of pain?
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't do the jumping jacks either cuz they hurt my knees so instead I just do the butt kicks a little faster. That works great for me. Also I do yoga or go for a walk or swim after and all that combined has pretty much stopped my knee pain
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Getting ready to push play now. Guess I'll try marching in place while the DVD is getting to the actual workout spot. And I do modify the jumping jacks when they get too bad already.