Quinoa Summer Salad

Options
aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
I made this salad last night and it was amazing. I love the way it tastes and how light it is and how low in calories it is. I thought I'd share my find with you. I also didn't look to see if it had ever been posted so it might be out here already.

Prep: 25 min. + chillingYield: 14 Servings15 10 25 Ingredients
•2 cups quinoa, rinsed
•1 cup boiling water
•1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
•1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
•1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
•6 green onions, thinly sliced
•1 package (4 ounces) crumbled garlic and herb feta cheese
•1/2 cup reduced-fat sun-dried tomato salad dressing, divided
Directions
•Cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
•In a small bowl, combine water and tomatoes; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and chop tomatoes; add to quinoa. Stir in the cucumber, peppers, onions, cheese and 1/4 cup salad dressing.
•Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Just before serving, stir in remaining salad dressing. Yield: 14 servings.
Editor's Note: Look for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.

Nutritional Facts
3/4 cup equals 148 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Summer-Fresh-Quinoa-Salad#.

Replies

• hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    question, I thought it was 1 cup quinoa to 2cups of water
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    the water in this recipe is for later... you cook the quinoa as per the package directions :) This sounds yummy!
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    looks delicious, i cant wait to try it when i get a stove in a month!!! where do you get sun dried tomato salad dressing?
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BUMP :flowerforyou:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Sorry I should have said something about that. I was confused too when I was making it. I just cooked the quinoa according to the directions - just like you would for rice. Then add everything else to it after it cools down. I didn't do anything with the 1 cup boiling water.
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MMMMMmmmmmmm
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Sorry I should have said something about that. I was confused too when I was making it. I just cooked the quinoa according to the directions - just like you would for rice. Then add everything else to it after it cools down. I didn't do anything with the 1 cup boiling water.

the water is to re-hydrate the sun dried tomatoes per the recipe on the web site.
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I love quinoa. This black bean mango quinoa salad is amazing as well http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/quinoa_mango_black_bean_salad.html