Greek Food

Options
I am going out to Lunch with some classmates and we decided to do Greek Food...does anyone have any suggestions for low-Cal stuff?

Last time I had a gyro with Tzatiki on the side and a greek salad with dressing on the side...

Thanks

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sounds fine to me, lots of fresh veg, just be aware of the amount of feta cheese also :)
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I like a gyro plate if they offer it.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Anu, did you look that the fat grams in a gyro...they are pretty high...I would suggest that you split one or cut it half and eat the other half for dinner...I think the sodium is going to be high in the gyro meat. Order the platter with someone else and split it.

The salad with feta cheese, olives and dressing will also be high in fat

So, eat one or the other...Do they have a child's menu? When I eat at Dino's, I order the childs gyro.

So, here are the choices:

Split the meal with someone else (also saves money)
    No dressing on the salad (lots of flavor with olives and cheese)
    Eat one or the other; but, not both
    Bring and an apple or other fruit so you don't get sucked into eating too many high fat things

Kim
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When eating out, split an entree or ask for a togo container when your meal comes, split your meal in half, and put half in the togo container right away. That way the whole meal isn't right in front of you and you won't be tempted. Plus you'll have dinner or lunch for tomorrow already taken care of!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would go for a souvlaki or a chicken souvlaki with some greens and tzaziki for dipping.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    greek salad w/ hummus n pita bread
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    The fat in that is usually due to the fat in the meat and the tzatziki being made from whole 35% fat Greek yogurt.

That's good, wholesome fat. Just watch portions.
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    Im doing a Grilled Chicken Sandwich on Pita Bread with Portabello Mushrooms...it has red pepper spread (I have had this before and I am not sure of the calories but I don't think they were high). I am only eating half. It comes with a side greek salad...which i always get the dressing on the side (i hardly use any) and there are no olives and hardly a spoon of feta cheese. I think this meal will be 600 calories.....
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Feta is good fat :happy: .

I like to have the stuffed grape leaves, bread with olive oil, and small salad - dressing on the side. I usually eat 1/2 of the grape leaves and take the rest home, and only one small piece of bread (but I count at least a tablespoon of the olive oil which I've dipped it in).
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    Tabouli is a great option! Very low in calories. Typically 35-50 cals/serving, made with healthy olive oil and bulgar.
    Flat pita bread is the killer! 200+ calories in traditional flat greek pita bread.
    Try a greek soup or vegetarian grape leaves, and eat half...or a chicken kebab without rice is a good option as well.
    Enjoy!
    -OB:flowerforyou: