new to running, wud appreciate sum answers??

Options
ive recently started running about 6 to 7km a day, if i do this say 6x a week for a while, like 2-3 months, wud i lose weight, or wud u have to do other exercises with the running??

Replies

• xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat more and undo your calorie burn, you will lose weight
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    ok, and ive already taken care of my eating habbits, so that isnt a problem, but is it true, that with running, u probz wont lose as much weight, but u will look like u hav, because u will hav toned a lot more, or is that wrong??
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I've started running in April, and my body has changed a lot! I've lost weight :) Like another poster said, if you're eating well and within your calories, you will lose, and tone.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    would* some*
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Running is good and you will lose weight, but at some point you will prob plateau. Could be a long time from now. Don't worry about it--enjoy your run. Don't drop your calories below at least 1600 though--depending on your size and all, could be more. When you plateau, start lifting weights. I lost or maintained my weight for a long time running or walking, but recently quit losing--am much closer to goal (had maintained my goal weight running in the past, but then had quit and gained a bunch having kids and all). Started lifting and reading up on it. You've got to keep building and challenging your body. When your body gets good at something, you have to change it up to keep increasing your muscle building. Muscle is what you want to be healthy and fit. Chase health, not weight loss, the more health and strength you gain the less you have to worry about what you look like--it will take care of it'self! And yeah, you look way better with muscle than fat! And more importantly, you feel better and will have fewer health issues.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you ratecityradio!
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch really well and take your time building your base mileage up. I started running competitively last year and am working on my second overuse injury because I built up my base mileage too fast. One thing I've learned is that "slow and steady wins the race" covers more than just the actual race. =-)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    would* some*
    ++
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you are watching what you eat you will lose weight. Abs are made in the kitchen...so ensure you really focus on eating the right foods.

That sure is a lot of running though...so make sure that you aren't over doing it on your body and giving yourself enough recovery time between runs.

Drink lots of water!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Running is what gave me the most change bodywise and over all healthwise. I wouldn't suggest running 6x a week tho. You need to cross train to work other muscles in the body. Cross training is necessary so you don't get burnt out, get an overuse injury and also help improve your running. Swimming, strength training, swimming, yoga/pilates are all great options. Make sure you're eating enough...building muscle and losing fat will give you the toned look...so keeping carbs in check (don't cut them out--good quality carbs are so important for running) and a good level of protein intake are key. Try looking on the boards for building lean muscle and many members are able to offer great input!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I didn't see how much weight you want to lose, but just starting out at 6 to 7 K a day is a lot. I finally got my weight under control by getting a notebook and writing down everything I eat everyday. My real weaness is cookies and icecream, so I finally realized I cannot even have these things in the house. I live alone so that was easy. I've been doing it for about 5 or 6 weeks and have the urge to binge eat pretty well out of the way. I runn 3 to 4 miles about 5 times a week. Somedays you just have to give your body a break. I think if you control hat you eat and continue to run, everything will come together. Let me know how you are doing!

Basil
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    Thank you everyone and to all my step in English teachers, i actually can type proper english, it was that i was getting ready to go for a run, and wanted to get Some answers quikly, to help me, after all, isn't the exercise more important, than actually typing the message??
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    would* some*

Thank you!

Texting is strictly for texting. When writing in a forum, it only takes a second longer to actually spell out the words. And it is easier to read
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    and thank you to all the people that actually wanted to give me advice on my question, i appreciate it a lot :)