Can't afford the gym. How can I do some weight training?

Options
Hello everybody! I'm part of MFP since January.I'm 5'3 and my SW was 83kg and I've lost 13 kg already with healthy eating and walking/trying to start running daily.I'm feeling great now! :) I always wanted to start with weight training since I know it's a very important part of the weight loss. But I still can't afford a gym membership, possibly later in september. Is there anything you could suggest me to do? I mean, I've just found the 30 day Shred videos, could that help? Or should I find some exercises online...I don't know. Any advice would be very appreciated! I keep losing weight but I just feel I'm losing all my muscles in the meantime.

13158851.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Good for you in your journey here at MFP! There are certainly ways to use everyday items in place of "real" weights at the house.

A gallon of water weighs about 8.5 pounds, and has a handle built right in! Do some bicep curls, overhead pushes - anything you can do with hand weights you should be able to do with a couple of water jugs. Hold one in each hand and do squats. Lay on a narrow bench, or even a bed, and do presses upwards.

Once this gets too easy with water, you can fill them part way (or all the way) with sand.

Good luck! I'll be looking to see what other creative ideas people offer you. They are helpful to me as well on days that I just can't get to the gym.

:-)
  • catcardoso
    Options
    Those 30 day shred videos will most certainly help. But even without those -- doing any sort of exercise that uses your own body weight (which means no equipment is necessary) is a great way to start resistance training. Pushups (on your knees if you can't do the full military style), squats, lunges and planks would all give your body some serious work and is a great way to jump in. If you haven't done the 30-day shred video (is that Jillian Michaels?), you might find them a bit extreme -- that workout is HARD. So if it's too much - don't get discouraged about weight training, just find an easier way to jump in. There are also TONS of exercises on youtube. Good luck!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There are lots of body weight exercises that will help you build strength!

Check out Youtube. There are tons of people with decent workout suggestions. One of my favorites is Zuzanna on Bodyrock.tv. There is also Mymadmethods. He has some good workout ideas. Not to forget Yoga, you will find lots of Yoga exercises on Youtube as well.

Checkout Youtube until you find something that you think will fit with your fitness level. Then give it a try. Start slow until you get a feel for the movements and the demands on your body. Once you have something mastered, go back and find something else to try, etc. , etc. .

And, most important, have fun!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    An inexpensive route to training is resistance workouts. It's also a great alternative to going to the gym because you can do it in the comfort of your own home.

Pick up a set of resistance bands (around $30) and although they're not a substitute for cold, hard, iron, it's better than not doing anything.

I don't have the time to get to the gym so I went this route. You can do nearly any exercise with bands that you can do with weights. They may seem easy but you'll feel it. :)
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss already.
    The good thing about strength training is that you do not need an expensive gym to get toned and build/maintain your muscle.
    Push ups, squats, lunges, tricept dips...all these are easy exercises to do just using your own body weight.
    You can go to a store, buy a couple of inexpensive dumbbells to use for your arms etc. It does not have to be expensive. You could even try using resistance bands which are very versatile as well. I am quite certain you can google for exercises to add variety to your workouts.
    Good luck...continued success.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises
    Pullups
    Pushups
    Dips
    Squats
    jump Rope
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats on the weightloss and for looking into ways to further your progress. Great advice here from the others; own body weight and resistance bands are great. The fitness ball always does wonders for my belly area. There are many exercises online that you can follow along with for all of these.

If you can't buy new weights, is there a source for used equipment near you? Here we have personal ads in the paper or online that sell used fitness equipment.
  • Naturally_sassy0525
    Naturally_sassy0525 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on the weight loss your doing a great job!!!...I would pick up a few hand weights maybe from target, walmart of Academy whatever is in your area between 8-12 pounds or 5 to start out with if need be..and there is alot of free strenght training workout online and on youtube most between 15-20 min combine that with your cardio and it will make a big diffrence =)
  • Losersgame
    Options
    I didn't take the time to read the replies but go to your library and rent dvd's they must have exercise ones.. They have it all.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    30DS or Butt Bible (check out youtube for free videos) are both great. P90X might also be an option for you, but there's an investment with those DVDs as well.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    There are many good (and cheap) strength training DVDs around. Buy some dumbbells in different sizes and try to target all the different muscles. Some basic exercises:

- Squats
    - Lunges
    - Chest presses
    - Deadlifts / Dead rows
    - Pushups
    - Triceps dips/kickbacks
    - Bicep curls
    - Overhead presses
    - Abs crunches

ETA: I go to the gym often, but sometimes I prefer to do my strength training at home with dumbbells. So, it is possible :)
  • krishka82
    krishka82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm going to post my before/after pics very soon! Can't wait :)