How do I get off this plateau?

Options
I started losing weight in June 2010. I lost about 80 pounds in 1 year. Then around this time last year (July 2011) I hit a plateau and have been stuck there ever since. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work - eating more, eating less, changing up my workouts, etc.
I'm currently 153 pounds and still have 15-20 pounds that I want to lose.
Suggestions? Help? Please! =)

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The last 15-20 lbs are the hardest lose. Rededicate yourself and stick to the plan. The fight is just beginning!
  • 3lilmonkeysxoxo
    3lilmonkeysxoxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The last 15-20 lbs are the hardest lose. Rededicate yourself and stick to the plan. The fight is just beginning!
    I've been trying so hard for so long & when I don't see results I get frustrated & tend to lose my dedication. It's tough for sure!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You and I are at the same plateau weight! Yay us! I'm sorry, I cannot give you much advise because I am stuck too. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone there. Here's what I'm trying: I lowered my calories like recommended by MFP (that is when I plateaued), I upped my calories (didn't work for me, but it may for you. The eat more to weigh less group), I have now lowered my calories to somewhere in between. We'll see if this works. I have also been told to work out every day, rather than every few days.
  • petraann
    petraann Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have not lost in one year. I have up-ed my calories from 1200 to my bmr which is about 1547. That was suggested by a lot of people out there. I do not see it working yet. I believe what I JUST read from bob Harper though...(summarize) when you do not see the movement on the scale HAVE FAITH IN THE PROCESS. We have to remember that...to have faith in the process...EVENTUALLY the scale will move.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have tried it, but significantly changing your workouts more frequently is bound to help.

I was doing 60-90 minute moderate cardio sessions (avg HR in the 140 range) and hit a plateau, I reduced the sessions to 30 minutes and doubled the intensity level (average HR 159-160). I am totally smoked when I stop now, but no more plateau.

Just my .02
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to increase your calories. Check out the group, "eat more to weigh less". Once i listened to these new friends, I broke my plateau that I had been bouncing around for 6 months. And it's still steadily going down. Also, when you increase your calories, you may either stay the same or jump up a pound or two, until your body realizes that your going to continue to fuel at this level, usually a week or so, then it will start dropping, so don't panic, or throw the scale.

Good luck, and great job on your loss so far!!
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you're taking measurements as well as weighing... sometimes you can tell better by how your clothes fit and taking measurements and photos of yourself. It sounds like a broken record, I know- but truly- you could be shaping up and being more FIT even if your weight has plateaued...

Keep at it! You should be proud of your accomplishments thus far! You've had the dedication to keep going up to now- just keep plugging along! :)
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Im in about the same place as you..............lost 50 lbs in a year a few years ago then BAM stuck for the last yr having 30 lbs left to go. very discouraging. I have tried everything..........but of course I know my problem is when I don't see results quick enough I tend to get discouraged and go on a binge! If you figure out the secret formula let me know!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Being honest with yourself is the first step. Someone on a plateau will have CONSISTENTLY been eating, exercising and NOT seeing results after 6 weeks or more. IF you haven't been consistent, then it's not a plateau.
    If you stall, no weight loss for up to 6 weeks or less, it's usually because the body has adapted to whatever you've been doing and it needs to be changed which will usually break that stall.
    And if you're down to your last few pounds, it has more to do with your body fighting you to "give up" those last few pounds of fat it really wants to keep. That's when diet usually has to be impeccable. and you have to be spot on with your nutrition, exercise and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Open diary, tell us your height & weight, describe your exercise, how many calories you eat etc. Give us a clue !
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do a metabolism reset.

Then Go at TDEE minus 15%

Be patient and consistant
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Lost 60 lbs. And nothing much since August of 2011 :( Right now I'm doing the " metabolism reset" and see how that goes for me. Good luck! Hope you break through.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Being honest with yourself is the first step. Someone on a plateau will have CONSISTENTLY been eating, exercising and NOT seeing results after 6 weeks or more. IF you haven't been consistent, then it's not a plateau.
    If you stall, no weight loss for up to 6 weeks or less, it's usually because the body has adapted to whatever you've been doing and it needs to be changed which will usually break that stall.
    And if you're down to your last few pounds, it has more to do with your body fighting you to "give up" those last few pounds of fat it really wants to keep. That's when diet usually has to be impeccable. and you have to be spot on with your nutrition, exercise and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Perfectly said Niner....as always. I agree.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Do a metabolism reset.

^^^ Best advice I've seen here, works for most folks.
  • 3lilmonkeysxoxo
    Options
    Do a metabolism reset.

Ok, so what exactly is that & how do I do it? LOL
    (and what's tdee?)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Open diary, tell us your height & weight, describe your exercise, how many calories you eat etc. Give us a clue !

This! We need to know what you are doing and how you are eating before we can evaluate the situation. And define what you mean that you ate more or ate. If you ate more and didn't lose, then it's possible you still need more. How long did you try this.

Every plateau I have gotten out of was by adding more calories. Also, eating at maintenance for a week and then starting a deficit again has worked for others I work with.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do a metabolism reset.

Ok, so what exactly is that & how do I do it? LOL
    (and what's tdee?)

TDEE = Total daily energy expended. The amount of calories you burn from your metabolic rate, daily activity and exercise..
  • 3lilmonkeysxoxo
    Options
    It sounds like you need to increase your calories. Check out the group, "eat more to weigh less". Once i listened to these new friends, I broke my plateau that I had been bouncing around for 6 months. And it's still steadily going down. Also, when you increase your calories, you may either stay the same or jump up a pound or two, until your body realizes that your going to continue to fuel at this level, usually a week or so, then it will start dropping, so don't panic, or throw the scale.

Where do I find that group?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as well. I did the metabolism reset for 6 weeks and still nothing. But it may work for you. You can search under groups for 'eat more to lose more", also search metabolism reset group for some good info!
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Where do I find that group?

If you go to "community," then type, "eat more to weigh less" in the search box it will pop up...the name is written in italic script, so you'll know you have the right group. Once your in there, you will find a thread on any question you could possibly think of!!

Feel free to add me for support and motivation!