Eaten calories

Options
ldg323
ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
I know that my calorie log will add the calories I burn exercising. My question is am I supposed to eat to the calories before or after exercise?

The calories I put as my goal are what my BMI said but when you add exercise calories I usually get at least 100 more a day.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat them, just experiment to see with what fits into your day and your lifestyle.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I think I asked the question wrong. I meant should I eat the 1,400 calories my BMI says or should I eat the 1,500 which includes the exercise calories...........
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories, mostly because I'm always hungry. It seems to be working for me, as I am still losing as much or more than mfp predicts I will.

A lot of people on here recommend that you should never eat net calories below 1200.

I think you need to see what works best for you in terms of balancing hunger and weight loss. If you burn a whole lot of calories from exercise, you may need to eat them just to keep your metabolism going. But if its only a couple hundred calories, in my opinion its optional.
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes! in my opinion it's most beneficial if you eat back your exercise calories. When you eat them does not particularly matter, as long as you can fit them into your daily intake. Some people like to eat back their exercise calories immediately after exercise to replenish energy stores and protein due to muscle breakdown during exercise! Find what works for you! you may find that your body will need these extra calories for fuel!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I think I asked the question wrong. I meant should I eat the 1,400 calories my BMI says or should I eat the 1,500 which includes the exercise calories...........
    It isn't that accurate to be honest, either will do and see what happens over 4 weeks.

I assume you mean BMR ?
  • carenj1990
    carenj1990 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    With all honesty, I don't know much about net cals. I don't eat back my exercise cals because I mostly exercise at night and I don't wanna fill up then. I eat mainly protein after I workout..a shake works well for me. Haven't seen any fat loss, so I have decided to focus on inches instead.

C. Jones
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    An effective strategy to adopt would be to eat back half the exercise calories if your'e hungry but don't eat just for the sake of making up the numbers. In other words if you're hungry eat back half but if you're not hungry bank it as a bonus.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories, because I've found that the more I workout the more often I want to eat something. When I was doing 30DS every day I was starving all the time!