Atkins diet

Options
I'm going to jump start my weight loss with the atkins diet, I have done it before and lost 10ish lbs (only did it for two weeks), but this time im going to try and stick with it, and then move on just to a good diet plan with working out. Please let me know how you did on atkins diet, and some of your favorite recipes!

Replies

• AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    good luck! i tried for about 6 weeks and lost around 15 lbs (20carbs a day) --- i started walking, my own version of a 5k and a few jillian michaels dvd's and started to feel sick and weak everyday so I kept up my exercise and up'd my carbs to around 40-50 a day - seems to be a good balance for me. I notice now if I go to far over on the 50 on my carbs my body turns to a slug :grumble: My sister has always stuck with around 20 carbs a day for the past year and is doing great, but she doesn't do much exercise at all. --- so clearly it is a matter of what works for you.

my new favortie recipe that she showed me over the weekend it pizza! -- she took a glass pie pan, put a little homemade tomato sauce in the bottom and then filled it will all her favorite pizza toppings, red/yellow peppers, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, some italian seasoning and added some mozzerella cheese and baked like a pizza till melted. no crust just the best part of the toppings!!!! she says some days she gets creative with chicken, ham, pineapple etc. it was wonderful!!!

Good luck on your journey!~
  • LASHAY429
    LASHAY429 Posts: 13
    Options
    I DOING ATKINS NOW ITS SOO HARD!!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I did it in high school. I lost 4 inches off my waist and 30-40 lbs in a matter of months! I missed my carbs so it didn't last long.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Do you get fruits & veggies? I can live on lean meat, fruits....amd veggies.
  • tateslady
    tateslady Posts: 13
    Options
    I've just started it yesterday. Had a headache last night. I've lost 20 pounds since January doing MFP and exercising but wanted another jump start. Are you doing any of the bars/shakes? I'm doing a daybreak bar and shake for breakfast. The Atkins website has some great recipes.

Edited to add There is group on here: La Vida Low Carb
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins before and lost about 30lbs in about a month or so. It would be great to jump start your weight loss but I do believe that counting your calories is the best, safest way to manage weight. The drawbacks to a high protein / low carb diet is it can give you bad breath and make you feel sluggish. You may also become discourage when switch to a sensible plan and don't lose as much weight as fast.
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    I made plans to start the Induction Phase of Atkins, but then decided not to do it. I am however, keeping carbs to a minimum intake and have been working to see what works for me to keep me satisfied between meals.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting carbs down for a month now...I try to stick to 50-75g of NET carbs a day, and I manage it most days. I have been doing it a month now and have lost 9 pounds. Before I cut carbs, I had the same activity level and only lost 7 pounds in 3 months! I'm going to do it as long as I can--I still have about 60 pounds or so to lose.

my favorite recipes? I really do enjoy the japanese cucumber recipe on the atkins site--it is almost like a refrigerator pickle, and there are only a few carbs in an entire cucumbers worth!
  • sabrespa
    sabrespa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the induction last summer and lost 8 lbs, then kept my carbs low and lost another 8lbs and then plateaued. So now I'm on induction again and have lost 4.5 pounds in a week. Honestly, I didn't think it was all that hard. I eat a ton of food and I'm full. My only issue is the chocolate cravings. I'm a bit of a chocohalic.
  • liljen2005
    liljen2005 Posts: 19
    Options
    I pre cooked bacon and sausage, hard boiled eggs, bought blocks of cheese, pork rinds, vienna sausages, pepperoni ( for a quick snacks). I also buy a head of lettuce and have lettuce wraps a lot. Last night for dinner I cooked two chicken breasts in a little oil, cut it up, cooked squash, onions, and green pepper, I added a drizzle of soy sauce, and some chili powder salt and pepper. It was pretty good! Tonight im thinking beef stir fry! I was 142lbs yesterday (when I started) and 140 today!! Im hoping to stick to it longer this time!! my goal weight is 120!...
  • liljen2005
    liljen2005 Posts: 19
    Options
    I did the induction last summer and lost 8 lbs, then kept my carbs low and lost another 8lbs and then plateaued. So now I'm on induction again and have lost 4.5 pounds in a week. Honestly, I didn't think it was all that hard. I eat a ton of food and I'm full. My only issue is the chocolate cravings. I'm a bit of a chocohalic.

I also LOVE chocolate. Its not on atkins, but its way better for you.. NEUTELLA!!! I freeze a banana and two strawberries, add a tablespoon of neutella, and a splash of milk. and blend it together! its soooo good!!!
  • smemilypfeif
    Options
    I've done Atkins before and lost about 30lbs in about a month or so. It would be great to jump start your weight loss but I do believe that counting your calories is the best, safest way to manage weight. You may also become discourage when switch to a sensible plan and don't lose as much weight as fast.

Agreed. I did Atkins-ish for the first few months of this year, and I lost some weight, but I felt gross - sluggish, grumpy, limited... then I started plugging in everything I ate on this site, and working with a trainer. My fat intake was through the roof! You really have to watch it with Atkins. I think people miss it, thinking they can have all the meat, cream, and nuts they want. It's just not good for you.

I'm now watching everything I eat. My calories AND fat are under my daily goals on this site (set for 1.5 lbs loss/week). I'm still losing and I feel SO much better! There are nutrients in grains that we need, plus the fiber... don't deprive yourself. Just find a healthy balance. Good luck!
  • mn145
    mn145 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been on the Atkins diet many times. I felt good while I was on it and I lost alot of weight. The only problem I had with it was once I cheated or fell off the wagon, the weight seemed to come back on twice as fast.

Here are a few of my favorite dishes while on it:

1. Cream cheese and spinach
    2. Omelets-so many varieties
    3. Use french cut green beans instead of pasta with spaghetti sauce. I know it sounds gross, but it is really good. You need to wait to try this after you get off induction.
    4. For a sweet tooth, once you get off induction you can have heavy cream and strawberries. You can also make sugar free chocolate pudding with heavy cream and eat it with redi whip. You can have jello and redi whip during the induction phase.
    5. Fajitas without the tortillas (you can eat everything else that comes with it.
    6. Buffalo chicken dip. Instead of chips, use celery sticks with it.
    7. Boiled shrimp with butter sauce.

You can also find a great number of recipes on this website: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/low_carb/

Good luck!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it didn't work for me, I got mean and cranky but I did lose the weight. Hubby is on it and it works well for him since he is a big meat/protein eater.

I have made chicken stuffed with spinich and ricotta that works for both of us. Also made spagetti squash with red peppers and onions that was super easy.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying it!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! I am doing 100g or less a day and I stay FULL and enjoy it and love the way I feel! I don't think you really have to cut back to 20/day unless you have alot of weight to lose. I started at this goal a day (100 or less) and lost 7 pounds the first month and I only needed to lose 5 =) I feel much better than when I cram sugary processed foods in...I just love it all the way around!
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i'm under 20g of carbs and under 1200 calories.
    - drink as much water and herbal tea as you can stand. it's important to be very hydrated.
    - plan all of your meals ahead.
    - for some reason, caffeine intake negatively impacts my weight loss on low carb. your mileage may vary.
    - don't pay too much attention to ketone urinalysis strips as they can be misleading.

you'll want to get most of your calories from whole proteins with no carbs. so, beef, chicken, fish, lamb, etc.. you'll want all of your carbs to come from fiber and vegetables. i honestly suggest having at least a small salad with every meal because when you're doing induction for the first time it can be difficult to get enough carbs.