Do I need to consume all my calories?

Options
I just joined the site today, and I have a question about the total caloric intake. When I logged in my exercise it added the calories burned to my calorie intake for the day. Is it recommended that I consume those extra calories or can I stick to the original number it gave me for quicker weight loss?

Replies

• sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    yes you need to eat them :)
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I believe that you stick to the original number, because then you have just eaten away at your progress. So my normal daily amount is 1470, and if I exercise and burn 400 calories, then I'm still good as long as I eat my 1470 calories. There are some instances where I might go over the 1470, but as long as I have my exercise calories, i'm good. But for health wise at least eat your recommended daily calories
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them. MFP figures a deficit into your calorie goal so that you don't need to eat below that number. You should try to shoot for that number exactly, whether or not you've done exercise to raise or lower it. That's the number that should be your target, not below.

Unless you have a LOT of weight to lose, it is very unlikely that you will lose weight any faster by eating less.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat them! That's why the site adds them to your daily totals.

A deficit is already built in when you set up your goals so you are expected to eat your exercise cals. I eat about 1/2-3/4 of them since the website overestimates how many you actually burn.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat most of them at least. You won't lose any faster if you don't and it will hurt your progress if you continue to not them, as your body won't be getting everything it needs.
  • jocamaria
    jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I will eat most of them, because I think MFP is overestimating the amount of calories I actaully burn. Now I have an even bigger incentive to work out :-)
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I will echo everyone else and say that I have seen great rewards by following the fitness pal recommendations. The weight will come off.