lifting vs. cardio

Options
Drizap
Drizap Posts: 34 Member
How many days a week should I do strength training vs. cardio? My goal is to be toned, not necessarily to build. Is 2 days a week for strength training too little? And would i need to do more than 3 reps of 12 on each body part?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    2 days a week is not too little. For your goals, that seems fine. 3 days would work too. I'm not sure what weight you're doing or what weights you are using, so I need some more information. Off hand, 3 reps of 12 of anything seems low, unless you're lifting heavy.

You can do strength training and cardio on the same day, if you want. They are not mutually exclusive. I don't suggest tons of cardio for anyone, unless you really enjoy doing it...
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with my Lobster friend. Do what you are comfortable with. Personally, I try to lift semi-heavy because I do want a bit of muscle definition. So I tend to lift whatever weight I can get up between 10-15 times and do 2-3 sets. I do between 20-40 of cardio depending on what time I have and what other exercises I plan to do that day, but generally I try to do a little cardio every time I'm at the gym, at lease to raise my heart rate. I tend to do a little less cardio when I work my legs, just so I can save a little muscle strength for lifting.
    Ultimately, listen to your body. Of course try to push yourself to achieve your goal, but do what you feel comfortable with. Are you just starting out? You could always start with 2 days and increase when you feel stronger.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Its totally up to you, do what you find funny and what gets done. I find that when you start overthinking you end up doing things you find boring and the risk of skipping is very big.

How much you train has little to do with if you will build or not. Unless you eat more, you cant build muscle no matter how hard you train. Also, since your a woman, you should keep in mind that its a lot harder for you to build muscle, u simple lack the hormons to build muscle fast.
  • Drizap
    Options
    I do classes, like tabura (which is a mix of martial arts and african dance) and total body conditioning so I guess that throws me off on knowing if I should be lifting after that or if that counts like weight lifting. Today I will probably do intervals on the treadmill and do the 3 rep thing on shoulders (25 pounds), back (50-60 pounds), triceps (8 pounds), biceps (10 pounds). Then I do like 50 crunches and leave. Takes about an hour and I only log cardio. I do that probably 2 days and a class 1-2 days.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you want to be toned, the best way to do it is to lift heavy. I lift 3 days a week and target 4-6 reps for 3 sets and if I can do more than 8 reps for 2 sets, then I increase my weight. I do compound lifting, rather than isolated lifting. (New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good book to start with.) On my lift days I do 15-20 min of HIIT cardio on the bike or elliptical. On non-lift days, I run for 2.5-3 miles.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Would like to se a picture of what you mean with toned so we mean the same thing.
  • Drizap
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I do classes, like tabura (which is a mix of martial arts and african dance)

I haven't heard of this but it sounds awesome
  • Drizap
    Options
    Re: Would like to se a picture of what you mean with toned so we mean the same thing.

I mean when I wave at someone, i would prefer if my tricep didn't wave back. I'm almost there. I think pretty much everyone who replied with body shots above are in the toned category. :happy:
  • Drizap
    Options
    Check out this link. It's my favorite class. I also like spinning to. So, am I supposed to lift weights after that? It's crazy intense.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/01/swahili-military-endurance-workout-tabura-gains-popularity/
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This is the toned that I'm aiming for (which requires me to also lose fat and thereby reduce my BF%):

JessicaBiel.jpg
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    See if there's a gym that offers Les Mills Body Pump classes near you. It's an hour of full body strength training -- gets all of the right spots, tones, and keeps you motivated because there's a whole bunch of other people doing with you, and the music helps, too. These classes have really helped me tone nicely without overbuilding. Even my fallen butt is lifting! (BTW - I'm turning 50 this year and haven't been this fit 10 years.) I try to take 2-3 classes a week. http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This is the toned that I'm aiming for (which requires me to also lose fat and thereby reduce my BF%):

JessicaBiel.jpg

I am proud to say I'm finally getting a butt like hers.. and it's awesome!

Anywho.. back on topic.

OP:
    I do my lifting and cardio on separate days.. mainly because by the time I'm done with lifting, I'm spent.. and there is not way I am hopping a treadmill for another 20-30 minutes.

I tend to do full body programs set up by my trainer, and do each exercise with heavy weights and between 10-15 reps, for 2-3 sets.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. 2-3 days of strength training sounds good (remember not to work the same muscle on consecutive days). Do cardio the rest of the days if you want and remember to take a break too.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Train like this!

It's lifting and Cardio all in one:

funny-gifs-work-it-girl.gif
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Train like this!

How you think I got so fit?!
  • FiitGiiqrl92
    Options
    Train like this!

thats crazy i might break my arms or face or legs or body lol
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    very interesting..I would love to hear your thoughts on cardio. I don;t really like it and would much rather strength train.
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can that be true!!!?? OMG... That is hysterical!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

JessicaBiel.jpg

I'd like to tone HIM!