trouble with water?

Options
so my whole life i have had tons of issues attempting to drink pure water. i've tried every brand of bottled water, tap water, osmosis water and i just cannot stomach drinking very much. when i was little my parents had to practically choke it down my throat. so i've been over the years finding new and innovative ways to get water into my system. i eat veggies with a lot of water content like lettuce, fruits like watermelon and i've bought things to flavor a bottle of water. if i flavor it, am i still getting the benefits of it? i use like sugar free crystal light or tang usually.

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Yes, water is still water even when you flavor it.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've bought a large waterbottle that has a straw, and added a couple slices of lemon to it. I find that it helps me drinks more of it. I hate water - can't stomach much of it unless I've recently had something very sweet or very salty - but this helps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The whole 8 glasses of water thing is misinterpreted. It's total fluids and includes water in fruits, vegetables, juice, tea, coffee etc etc.

So, if you're not a fan of plain water (I do drink lots but that's because of my running) go ahead and use flavouring if you like. You can easily judge your level of hydration by the colour of your urine (light to almost clear) and your thirst.
  • alyblue
    alyblue Posts: 20
    Options
    awesome. i had to ask because my husband is always on my case about the fact i wont drink water. when i do and flavor it he says it doesn't count. i guess i never really thought about it until he did, but i figured i must be doing something right if im still alive since humans can only go a few days without it.
  • Nikocan
    Nikocan Posts: 95
    Options
    The whole 8 glasses of water thing is misinterpreted. It's total fluids and includes water in fruits, vegetables, juice, tea, coffee etc etc.

So, if you're not a fan of plain water (I do drink lots but that's because of my running) go ahead and use flavouring if you like. You can easily judge your level of hydration by the colour of your urine (light to almost clear) and your thirst.

I know what you mean. The colour of the urine is a pretty good indicator of the amount of water you've had or if you've had enough. I went through a water hungry phase where I had a bottle about me all the time and I was constantly sipping. Though it made me pee a lot more than usual, the happiness in seeing crystal clear pee was out of the world. I did not think pee could make me so happy. In addition it helped make my skin glow. Everyone kept telling me how bright I looked and no one believed that it was due to water. Come to think of it, I think I should get back to the water hungry phase. And if the raw taste of water get too much, drop in some fruits and enjoy the flavour of it..:)
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try flavoring it naturally - if you like watermelon, cut up some chunks and add them to the water. Cucumber is another good flavor. I like strawberries and mint too.

When you drink artificial stuff, it is still water, but not as good for you. "Vitamin Water" is one example of that - water should be 1 ingredient, maybe 2 or 3 if you add fresh fruits or veggies. Not more though.

Tea is another good way to do it - drink non-caffeinated tea (so basically hot water with mint, vanilla, etc) and that will count too.

The real test is the color of your urine - it should be light yellow to clear. The secondary way to tell is if your mouth is plenty went and you don't feel dizzy or thirsty (if you feel thirsty, it's too late).
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
    The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks.

All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.

If you don't like the taste of plain water, try sparkling water or add a slice of lemon or lime. You could also add some squash or fruit juice for flavour.

[...more ...]