Broccoli and Caulifower oh and Squash

Options
shanna0413
shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
These are my favorite veggies. What are your favorite ways to cook them? I'm looking for some new ways to prepare them.

Any ideas on tomatoes? I have never cared for tomatoes but I would like to start eating them.

Thank you

Replies

• twistyBee
    twistyBee Posts: 63
    Options
    SkinnyTaste is one of my favorite websites and they have a Ground Turkey Stuffed Zucchini that is so yummy! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/turkey-stuffed-zucchini-4-pts.html

Once you are at her website search around for recipies by vegetable and I know you will find some delicious ideas...I know I have and my boyfriend even likes the lighter versions of the traditionally heavy meals!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste is one of my favorite websites and they have a Ground Turkey Stuffed Zucchini that is so yummy! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/turkey-stuffed-zucchini-4-pts.html

YES! This inspired my dinner last night! I did my own version with zucchini and peppers and it was sooooo yummy! SkinnyTaste is my go-to for ideas as well! I love the search option! :happy:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    roasted! toss in olive oil and spices (whatever you like) and roast at 375 til all brown and delicious! probably about 15 mins depending on the size you cut it up into.

yummmmmmmm

also- boiling/stemaing and pureeing cauliflower is yummy too, makes it like mashed potatoes. add some butter/milk/salt/pepper
  • trm981
    trm981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I made the Cauliflower Fritters from the Skinnytaste site last night. They were pretty good!! My husband loved them. It seems like the Skinnytaste site is very popular around here!

My favorite way to prepare broccoli is to boil for 3 or 4 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain and run a little cold water over it to stop it from cooking and cool it down just a bit so its not steaming. Put in a large bowl with a splash of olive oil and some freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese and a sprinkle of sea salt and stir it. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Its so simple but so amazingly good! Do the cheese to taste, 3 tablespoons is only 60 cals worth so its not bad caloriewise at all. I usually make 4 servings of broccoli and put in about 1/3 of a cup Pecorino Romano and maybe 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like Broccoli steamed until it turns dark green but is still crunchy .. then I squeeze lemon juice on it and sprinkle a little sea salt.. YUM!!

My favorite thing to do with cauliflower is to boil it then mash it like mashed potatoes.. add a little soymilk and a little butter.. salt and pepper.. YUM!! Also great with unflavored protein powder added..

As for squash.. I'm an old fashioned girl. I like butternut squash best.. cut in half and scoop out the seeds.. drizzle both sides with extra virgin olive oil (or try one of the yummy flavored olive oils, like garlic or basil) and sprinkle with sea salt.. and BAKE.. then mash it all up and eat it right out of the skin.. YUMMMY.. The quick version is to prep it just like that, then put the halves back together, wrap the whole thing real tight in plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 20min.. voila!! (you can do Acorn squash the same way)

I also like spaghetti squash -- but I have yet to figure out how to cook it properly to get the right texture that I want.. (you are supposed to bake it then use a fork to "string it" .. then you can put tomato sauce on it and it's delish!

I also like tomatoes but I don't like eating them raw or whole. They have to be IN something. I have made a yummy soup with roasted carrots, onions, garlic and tomatoes.. cut into large chunks and drizzle all with olive oil and some seasoning (you can use italian or Mrs. Dash).. then roast til they are tender.. then put them into a blender a few pieces at a time.. add a little vegetable broth (doesn't have to be hot) and blend it.. it comes out sooo good!!

Stef