Looking to alternate exercise

Options
So, I run and walk a lot, that's my kind of workout... Except I realize to optimize wight loss and fitness, I need to alternate work outs... So I'm thinking swimming... I'm an average swimmer, I guess I could be better if I knew how to manage my pace and strength. I normally give up after 4 minutes because:
- unlike when I run, I can't listen to music so I'm bored;
- I'm out of breath;
- I crash in the lines;
- I am really bored.
Despite my sarcasm, I would like to spend a couple of hours per week at the swimming pool as an alternative work out.
To you, swimmers, what advices de you have for me?
Thanks a lot!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    To optimize weight loss I would advise adding in strength training instead of swimming.

If you don't like to swim, don't swim.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise but not optimal for weight loss. Personally, when I'm not running, I'm on my bike and not just for workouts. I bike to run errands, go to work, enjoy a sunny day by the waterfront, etc. That way, even when I'm not trying to exercise, I'm exercising.

Weight training will also work wonders. I just have a hard time staying indoors when the weather is nice.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a technique instructor to help with the out of breath problem, boredom = I usually sing tunes in my head, make lists of what needs doing at home, count strokes to the end of the pool see if you can make it less next time = still boring but it does make the time your swimming pass quicker :(

Take a friend?
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    To optimize weight loss and fitness, add strength training. Even if it isn't at a gym, you can do push ups, squats, etc.... in your own home. And I second the suggestion of bicycling. It is a great way to get cardio in.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Take a Zumba class. I love it and burn a ton of calories doing it. It is so much fun I forget that I am exercising. Just try one class and see what you think.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love swimming, and do it once or twice a week. i went here for work outs. http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html i printed about a dozen different work outs and mixed them up in a folder, and i just randomly pick one and i do it.

yes, swimming can be boring because of lack of music and lack of stimuli. if that really bothers you, then don't swim. find something else to do. if you're crashing in the lanes, well, idk wtf you're doing. don't you wear goggles and keep your eyes open and look at the lane marker under you??? and if you are out of breath, well, you're swimming. you need to learn to alternate your breathing and strokes.

remember, swimming is not running or cycling, where you can just put in the millage and let your body naturally adjust over time. in swimming, you need to go slower and focus on form and techinque. here you go: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2452
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wear swim cap and goggles so you can see where you are going!
    Alternate different swim styles on different laps: breaststroke, freestyle, backstroke, butterfly if you can!
    Get a pool kickboard and use this for alternate laps; can alternate leg strokes (frog kick and whip kick)
    Count your laps: it gets to be kind of zen and hypnotic
    Buy a waterproof iPod! One of my MFP friends has one, can't wait to get mine! Check out at:

http://www.underwateraudio.com/

If you are out of breath, swim slower or rest in between laps.
    Swimming is my favorite exercise as it uses upper body as well as lower and I get the most endorphins from swimming over anything else!
    If you need to work on technique, lots of places offer swim classes for adults.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    So, I run and walk a lot, that's my kind of workout... Except I realize to optimize wight loss and fitness, I need to alternate work outs...

For years, I have had the same over-emphasis on legs / cardio while neglecting my core and upper body almost completely ... problem is, because the water insulates you while you swim - It has plenty of general fitness benefits such as improving cardio, but is not so good for burning calories / weight loss. Is there anything else you enjoy doing, so that it doesn't "feel like" exercising for extended periods? Like biking, Zumba (or other dance-based exercise class)
    Despite my sarcasm, I would like to spend a couple of hours per week at the swimming pool as an alternative work out.
    To you, swimmers, what advices de you have for me?
    Thanks a lot!

If you don't like lengths, but just want a change in environment (especially in the hot weather), google aqua-robic exercise for other water exercises (or sign up for a class at the local pool - THAT will have music to work out to!) Then you can work on body parts that are neglected by all that running, like core and upper body.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Like somebody said, try strength training rather than adding a different cardio.

I personally love biking so I do that. Also jumping ropes can be a very nice HIIT
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would try and find alternate exercises that you actually enjoy. And like another poster stated- strength training is a great way to switch things up from day to day.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like water aerobics:)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You should be doing strength exercises - maybe 2-3 times a week - not just to help weight loss but to build reserve muscle strength to avoid running/walking injuries
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    I have always enjoyed swimming more than most other exercises, although I cannot do it for long. I've been using a stopwatch timer on my phone and so far I alternate between 5 minutes of backstroke and 5 minutes of breaststroke, and I'm worn out. Hopefully as I do it more and more I will have longer endurance, but for now I feel the burn and I feel it using every muscle in mybody. It seems to be working for me! Everyone has different things that work for them.

13784785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MoonMeliMelo
    Options
    Thank you for advices! Ha, you have advised me to do strength exercises... So be it!
    Oh and yes, the reason I crash in the lanes is because I don't have glasses. I actually took with me my diving goggles once but it turned out to be a nightmare!
    :-)