RUNNERS!! i NEED HELP TODAY

Options
Hi Im excited...Im going to go jogging for the first time after work...I have Questions before I go out there Blinded..

1. How many blocks are in 1 mile....Im thinking 10...
2. What Breathing Techniques should I use..
3. How many Calories is running for 1 mile. How do I log it under Exercise
4. Should I try and run the whole mile or walk and run

Thanks Everyone for your Help on this...

Replies

• yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1. No clue, you are putting too much thought into it.
    2. No clue, you are putting too much thought into it.
    3. No clue, you are putting too much thought into it.
    4. No clue, you are putting too much thought into it.

So, with that said, it's 1 mile. Go, listen to your body, get some music, put your music in your ears, have fun, and don't worry. Time yourself so when you get back, you can look-up one mile in the exercise database thingy. If you make it into something fun you'll do it more often. If you like running and do it more often, take my advice, start as slowly as you can and build your mileage.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • regina2063
    Options
    thank you ...sounds good
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the blocks in a mile. But, I would concentrate on time before distance anyways. Say you want to run 5 minutes straight with a 1 minute walking break and repeat that 5 times....for example. You could always go on the mapmyrun website to figure out the mileage if thats important to you. I usually say there is 100 cals burned for every mile. Just an average obviously. As for breathing you'll figure it out.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. You'll know what you can handle and if you're sore tomorrow, you'll know even more. Breathe how your body tells you to. As for distance, you can easily go to MapMyRun online and find out.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    1) No clue.
    2) In and out
    3) Maybe around 100.
    4) Do what you can.

It's just running. You evolved to do this well. Just put on shoes and run.
  • regina2063
    Options
    thanks...so at least i know around the calories i will be burning for a mile..
  • jss150
    jss150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dont think so much! Just get out out and alternate walking and slow jogging. Use an app like "map my exercise" or ease into 5k. I love the "ease into 5k" app. Great for beginners.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always recommend this link for new runners! http://www.active.com/running/newbie-runners.htm

Good luck.

Log it by using a HRM - that way you get an accurate count.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Every block is a different size, so it's hard to know for sure. :) If you really want to track distance, I'd go to just about any store and buy a pedometer, which tracks your steps and tells you how far you ran and how much time it took to do it. Just remember - when you start, the key is to go SLOW! You need to build the right muscles before you can work on improving speed and time. It may feel like you're going slower than you would walking - that's ok! The key is to keep up the jogging motion.

Here's a link to a site that will help you build an achievable plan for starting to run. :)
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    It depends.... cinder blocks or wooden alphabet blocks? I'm guessing a lot in either case. Good luck and have fun!
  • auntv77
    auntv77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All of that being said. If you like your run and plan to keep doing it - do yuorself a HUGE favor and go to a running store to get fitted for shoes. It is AMAZING the damage you can do in the long-term running in the wrong shoes (no matter how much you paid for them). The people are running stores are trained to do this and are super friendly to all levels of walkers and runners. NOT a sporting goods store. A real running store.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program, it's quite good. There's also a forum dedicated to it with lots of help. Runner's world has a calorie counter for different people's weight and gender. Also, you can map how far you've gone which will help figure out the calories. Good luck!
  • TheLittleKittie
    Options
    Hi Regina,

I can totally relate to how excited you must feel and also "why" you want to know the below. I am on MFP to regain fitness lost from a period of illness but I've been a runner now for 4 years - however - like you, when I first "did it" I had no clue where to start.

1. I'm in the UK so we don't have this, but I work on the basis of a slow jog at 6mph is a 10.5 minute mile. Slow jog, 10 - 12 minutes you should have covered a mile.
    2. OK breathing, it can be a toughie when you first start, I know this will sound silly but actually the best advice I can give you is - BREATHE - I forgot first few times I went and was holding my breath. That makes running pretty tough.
    3. MFP has loads of options - search cardivascular, then type jogging, you'll see lots of options (my slow option is in there)
    4. This will depend on your overall fitness. I'd say a slow steady jog at decent fitness you should be able to complete the 10 - 12 mins, but if you want - try this Jog a minute, Walk a minute - do this for 25 minutes - you'll cover around 2 miles, but technically will have run at least your one mile you set out to do.

I wish you all the luck with your running, I started out just like you, in November of this year I'm signed up to my first half marathon. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Ps.. search ebay for a book called Running Made Easy - you may find it useful
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone download the Nike+ app then you can listen to your music and track your runs via the GPS and log calories. Good luck and enjoy. Don't over do it to start with. Your legs will ache the next day so rest them then go again when they don't hurt.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Another Couch to 5K voter here. Most of us can't just go and run a mile because we want to. It's why most people say they hate running, they need to build up to that and it can take some longer than others.

I would tell you to go and buy good shoes that you get fitted for at a real running store. This is VERY important so you avoid injuries.

I'd never run before last year and now I love it and I REALLY credit the C25K program for that.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1. How many blocks are in 1 mile....Im thinking 10...
    - depends how big the blocks are. you can use www.gmap-pedometer.com to help figure out running distances
    2. What Breathing Techniques should I use..
    - inhale, exhale, repeat as needed. more seriously, try to control your breathing, make a conscious effort to keep it under control as much as possible. Big breaths in, slow breaths out.
    3. How many Calories is running for 1 mile. How do I log it under Exercise
    - depends how heavy you are, how many hills you encounter, how steep they are, wind conditions, etc. anywhere from 100 to 250 or more
    4. Should I try and run the whole mile or walk and run
    - whatever you can handle
  • regina2063
    Options
    where do you find the couch to 5k program
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    c25k.com
  • 13roots
    13roots Posts: 3
    Options
    1. I also would suggest you focus more on time than distance in the beginning. Set a time, say 20 mins or 30 mins and then measure how far you go. If you have a lot of endurance and/or a fast pace, you may find that you exceed 1 mile after 20mins. If you have a smart phone, you can download an app like RunKeeper or Ease into 5K/C25K that will help you track distance, calories, pace, etc. You just focus on the time for now.

2. For breathing, you want to make sure you're not running to fast and get out of breath. Set a nice and easy pace, not a fast one because you're aiming for a long run not a short sprint. There's no special breathing technique for running that I use

3. It really does depend on how fast you're running and for how long. An app like RunKeeper can do all those calculations for you, so all you have to focus on is keeping your feet moving.

4. I highly recommend walking/running in the beginning. When you're more comfortable and have a better sense of your fitness level you can try running all the way, especially if you have a specific time target you're trying to beat. With The Running Room run clinics, even marathon training clinics practice 10 and 1s (10mins running, 1 min walking).