Calculating calories & fat in homemade meals

Options
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to calculate the nutritional value of a meal prepared at home. A calculator where you can enter the amounts of everything you put in the dish then divide by number of portions would be ideal. Is there anything like this online anywhere?

Thanks for you help

Sarah

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I use this website: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp

You are able to enter everything and then divide into servings. It can be time consuming but at least then you know what you're eating! :happy:
  • kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I want to give this a try also. I try to match my meals up as close as I can to others that exist on the site, but that's not very accurate.
    thanks
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I use the Spark recipe calculator as well.

Then I take the nutrition information and save it in the MFP food list under "___yourname__'s homemade -- _______." That way, any time I make that same recipe, all I have to do is pull it up in MFP and add a serving.

Be careful with Spark, though, and check the nutrition info for all of your ingredients yourself. Sometimes the information other users have entered isn't very accurate.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for you advice!

SJ
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use the Spark recipe calculator as well.

Then I take the nutrition information and save it in the MFP food list under "___yourname__'s homemade -- _______." That way, any time I make that same recipe, all I have to do is pull it up in MFP and add a serving.

Be careful with Spark, though, and check the nutrition info for all of your ingredients yourself. Sometimes the information other users have entered isn't very accurate.
    I do this exact same thing! Another great website is Gourmet Sleuth.com at http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp?Action=find

This site helps calculate those strange measurements that always leave me scratching my head. Like how much is 2oz of dried spaghetti after it is cooked? I don't really know how to eyeball 2 oz of dried pasta and I don't eat it dried so what is it cooked??? (BTW-2 oz of cooked spaghetti is .4 cups and is 80 calories! )
  • kaisa_b
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

This site you can enter entire recipes and the number of servings and it'll whip out the nutritional info for you!
    I do this to analyze recipes I find online before I make them or to find nutritional info for recipes that I make my own changes to. It's wonderful!
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pcarolln
    Options
    Great!! Thanks.
  • Pcarolln
    Options
    I never thought about trying to find a website to calculate your foods that you cook at home. Thanks.
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    Options
    bump