Weight loss pills?

Options
I know some people are against them, others are for them etc..

Are there any out there that really work?

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are some that work... I don't take any though. I'm so afraid of developing a heart condition or dying on my quest to lose weight.

I'd assume the kind that really work would be the types prescribed by Dr's.
  • DarwinChick95
    DarwinChick95 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've recently just started taking Optislim, which is one of the shake diets. Its worked out really well for me in such a short amount of time. I know that people would object to these shake diets but with this one it allows you to eat a meal that their company sells (like weight watchers) and that has been great. My stomach has shrunk and each of the shakes fills me up the same that any meal would. Im not too sure about the weight loss pills but i hope this has helped.
    :)
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have been taking CLA / Amino Acids / Creatine and am noticing a small loss every day. I lost 4lbs on the first week of it.
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for weight loss and was prescribed Phendimetrazine Tartrate, 35mg 30 min before every meal and an 800 calorie a day diet. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks, but not sure if it's from following the diet so strictly or the pills. I didn't last when I went back and she said it wasn't a jump start program, I'd need to eat like that for life. Pass.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I suppose some could work but at what cost, monetarily and physically.

*trim spa baby....
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    My doctor put me on one and forgot to check to see if it would react to any of the other meds I was taking at the time. Surprise! The first dose nearly stopped my heart. Needless to say, I think I can go without weight loss pills now :/
  • HellooKittyy2012
    Options
    i am also scared of getting sick from taking diet pills really want to but im only 20 years old to be getting sick cuz i wanna lose some weight i wanna find "safe" ones but i doubt theres "safes" ones out there
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    the ones made out of meth do.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's a multi-billion dollar industry. But the ones that really work are kept a tight secret because the vendors don't want to make TOO much money. They're too humble.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    My cousin swears she lost ten pounds on a bee pollen pill. I think it has to do with only drinking water while using it. I have been doing fine without any pills! Good old fashioned diet and exercise!
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for weight loss and was prescribed Phendimetrazine Tartrate, 35mg 30 min before every meal and an 800 calorie a day diet. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks, but not sure if it's from following the diet so strictly or the pills. I didn't last when I went back and she said it wasn't a jump start program, I'd need to eat like that for life. Pass.

800 calories a day? Sounds like you need a new doctor!
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options

800 calories a day? Sounds like you need a new doctor!
    Absolutely! When I went to my rheumatologist and told him about the diet, he went ballistic. I didn't go back. The sad thing is she's an MD here in Brooklyn that bills herself as an obesity doctor. Her plan was a photocopied page that everyone gets and she didn't take any of my medical conditions into consideration. Bad experience, other than the quick 11lb drop.
  • Laurenazz
    Laurenazz Posts: 27
    Options
    i heard alot of good things about bee pollen pills. xanzue on amazon is 1 of them, but u need to drink water every day all day!!
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Some do work, my mom used Phentermine that she was prescribed by her doctor after she asked about them. They give you more energy- not enough to make you freak out, and help you with how hungry you feel, she used them over a year ago and ate healthy when she used them and has gained 2 pounds since she stopped, she lost about 40 pounds in 3 months and she really liked how they made her feel!
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options
    I have seen plently women mess up their health with weight loss pills. My advice? Do not take them. They are more harmful than beneficial. Instead of cheating your way through it, better just change your lifestyle, which will benefit you in the long run. And by that, I mean your eating habits.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's your choice. But please, for your sake. Don't use one with ephedra without talking to you doc about it first.
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I just don't agree with the whole weight loss pill thing. So many people I have known that have tried them did end up losing a significant amount of weight. But you can't always be on them, and you usually gain the weight right back, if not more. I think it's cheating. You don't want to lose weight as fast as you can. You want the lifestyle of being healthy that goes along with it. :)
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I guess it'd be OK for that initial motivation to lose weight; you see a result so you continue on but they don't change your lifelong habits do they so are you going to continue taking them forever? It took years for us to put on weight and it'll take a long time to lose it again. There are no shortcuts.

Plus I've heard gross things like oil speepage. ewl.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Avoid diet pills, I've taken a fair share of them and they're a complete waste of money. Most of them make you feel jittery throughout the day, makes your stomach hurt, and elevates your heart rate. You can easily lose weight without them with exercise and healthy eating habits.

You know they're not safe when the diet pills I was taking have recently been recalled and the main ingredient has become a banned substance...