Going out for Mexican..Healthy Options?

Options
I'm going out for Mexican tonight AND I LOVE IT!

What is a healthy option or meal combo I could get...?

Replies

• MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    Fajitas, just use the veggies, some cheese and hold the sour cream. Stick with salsa instead. See if you can have celery sticks instead of the chips.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Sub black beans for refried beans. Don't eat the chips. Get the sour cream on the side or leave it off entirely. No rice or tortillas.

I like the taco salad/chicken or chicken tostada with avocado, no refried beans (the beans are cooked with fat.) You could get fajitas if they will make them without butter. Then don't eat the tortillas.

Try to use salsa and pico de gallo for your flavoring, not sour cream or excessive cheese.

In general Mexican can be good, they use a lot of vegetables.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Ceviche (basically a marinated shrimp or fish dish. Typically fish/shrimp/other seafood marinated in lime juice (or another citrus) with maybe tomatoes, cilantro, sometimes avocado, and other fruits and veggies. Sometimes they serve it with a couple of chips. And I do mean a couple

2. Mexican style soft tacos (not american style). The real deal ones come on a corn tortilla with meat, beans (optional), salsa, onions and cilantro. Super healthy, no matter what meat you pick (unless of course it is fried). You can even get carnitas, and the are around 200 calories a taco without beans. More like 300 a taco with beans.
  • sarri44
    sarri44 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to get at a local Mexican place near me is a corn tostada with shrimp, avocado, tomato and cilantro with lime. It's like an open face taco shell...and I get a side of black beans. Hardest thing for me to stay away from is the chips and salsa!!!! I'll have a few, but it's hard not to munch and munch...oh and a big, giant margarita is hard to resist, too!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am going to a mexican restaurant this weekend and am trying to plan ahead. My plan is to avoid the chips and salsa. I can't just have one and would prefer to use my calories more wisely. I am going to go for a nice long run in the morning to burn a few extra claories and load up on fruit & veggies during the day. I haven't decided what I will be ordering but, I spilt an a dinner (take half home for the next day) or order an app. And, most importantly I will be odering a margarita :drinker:

P.S.
    Order the extras on the side. Cheese, sour cream, etc...this way you can control how much you eat. Also, avoid anything deep fried.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i can usually share a dish with my partner and we are both stupid full after. like the others said black beans are way better than refried and skip the rice if you can (i never miss it). some dishes come with gaucamole salad instead of rice and beans, and those are good options. i usually have some chips and salsa (how can you not?) and opt for a beer over a margarita. good luck!

ceviche is a great option depending on how close to the coast you live.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas without cheese or guac.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fajitas and just eat what is in the skillet, not the sides (meat, onions, peppers, salsa etc., no sour cream, cheese, refried beans). I do it all the time and it is not that unhealthy! Stay away from the chips unless you can control amount.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I get tacos mar and skip the flour tortillas so I can have a few chips with salsa. I also limit the rice and beans but I don't care for them much anyway.

Try any shrimp/chicken stir fried for taco filling and just eat the meat and veggies. Lots of flavor, fewer cals.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    yup fajitas no tortilla, have the veggies, chicken, and guac oe SC. limit 1-10 chips. you will be okay :) LOTS of water :)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone else said. Choose corn tortillas (or none). Choose black beans over refried. Avoid or limit chips, sour cream and cheese. Guacamole is good for you, but high in calories. Avoid anything deep fried.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Try to use salsa and pico de gallo for your flavoring, not sour cream or excessive cheese.
    If it's slathered in sour cream or yellow cheese, you're eating "mexican food". Find a place that serves real Mexican food.
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love Mexican...I usually go for a fish taco or a fajita with just veggies. I skip the sour cream, beans and rice, just use salsa or alittle guca. The chips on the table are deadly, but if you can limit yourselves and they are homemade then it is so worth it.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Fajitas (especially chicken..mmm). That way, everything comes on the side and you can control what you eat. I will normally skip the tortillas, and just eat what's in the skillet along with a few of the cold veggies (tomatoes and lettuce) and some salsa. Yum! Plus, there is always enough so that you can take 1/2 home for another meal!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I like sopa de pollo, or chicken soup.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Taco salad without the shell and minimize the cheese and sour cream......................mmmmmmm I add a touch of sour cream and lots of salsa and its creamy good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    GMF, I wanna go to your Mex restaurant. Yum, that looks awesome.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG
    looks and sounds amazing sans chorizo
  • stopdangerpi
    Options
    Ceviche is so great. It is pretty healthy and packed with protein. Mhmmm...

Also, instead of a margarita, why not get a gin, vodka or tequila gimlet. it's just the booze, lime juice and soda water. Still yummy lime flavor without all the sugar!