Was it a silly idea?

Options
The other day I saw a dress I *loved* in the shop, it was the only one and it was on a sale rail, so I just had to buy it!

Here's the thing:

It's way too small - I mean I *can* get it on, but I wouldn't be wearing it out in public for sure! (or moving in it lol)

Was it a bad move? I've already got so many things hoarded in my wardrobe for if/when I lose enough weight, but am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Alternatively, has anyone found that having a "goal outfit" to fit into actually helped keep them motivated?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I often do this. I have a few items in my wardrobe that I see as 'target items'. I buy them often when I'm in between sizes, when it seems silly to buy something I know will soon be too big for me. It's really quite motivational, and I love it when I try them on and they *do* fit. It's a great way of marking your successes. More fun than a measuring tape! :-D
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nope..... hang it on your bathroom door or closet door as motivation!! You can do it!!! :happy:
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    From a guy, I have two pairs of pants hanging on my wall, one a size 52 from my 325 pound days, and one a size 36 for August or September.

I got down to a 38, then jumped back up to a 40. The 36's will fit by the end of summer!
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    use it as motivation....hang it where you will see it everyday...you'll work harder and get in it!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Not silly at all! Good motivation! :happy:
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, I will see something I like that is a little to small and buy it as motivation, and its a great feeling when you can wear it!!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing steadily, I don't think this is a bad idea. Also, it's not TOO far off of fitting if you can get it on your body.

I did this with a pair of jeans...but now they are big, too.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My first thought is send me a picture and I will tell you.....after venting my inner 16 yr old I move on.....

The NSV in my pants was this, as I am sure you know. However, it was only motivating at first, it became part of the visual background noise after a while.

However, I have started getting some old clothes out and I set a goal of sorts...I will try this on at the end of the month. So come June 30th I will have a fashion show of sorts.

(Here is the deal, you show me your fashion show I will show you mine....)

Wait that is a little scary.....but I am a scary man........

But not silly. Regardless of how long it takes, I expect to see a picture of that dress on you when it "fits" whatever that means.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    while I havent bought any smaller cloths. I have cloths from my heavy 267 size 26, down to size 12. I put them in those space bags according to size, with cards clearly marking the size. So in a way I have something to look forward to. When Lithium helped me to gain from 167 to 267. I carefully went through everything keeping only the cute cloths and jeans. Im currenly in a 22. I am just gonna wear them until they fall off. Then I will hit my shed for my cool new wardrobe. My only concern is it will be for the wrong season. lol

In the End, no I do not believe its silly, great motivation. :flowerforyou:
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just this past weekend I pulled some things from the spare room closet and put them in my closet. I haven't worn most of this stuff in 2-3 years. I keep trying it on as the weight comes off (hopefully). I did find a few things I couldn't zip or button a month ago that I can now. That was pretty motivational.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I buy nice stuff in a size smaller to give me extra motivation. I think it's a great idea! :)

Always keep it somewhere you can see it so you remember your goal everyday! :)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It is always wise to get the nice size down. I have several pair of jeans that are way too big even though I went from a 50" waist to a 44" after 7 months. I am now 34" just after another 7 months. I still wear them in house as I refuse to get rid off them after so little time.

I got a Large sized jacket and now wished I bought a Medium. I could do the large sized jacket up but was tight. Now it is isn't and still have a little more to go. I have to wear something else inside to fill the space up.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just this past weekend I pulled some things from the spare room closet and put them in my closet. I haven't worn most of this stuff in 2-3 years. I keep trying it on as the weight comes off (hopefully). I did find a few things I couldn't zip or button a month ago that I can now. That was pretty motivational.

I forgot to say I have many items with the tags still on them.
  • grandmeem
    grandmeem Posts: 28
    Options
    I still have a dress I refuse to get rid of from before I got pregnant (I'm a grandmother now) so I've had the dress well over 24 years. I can not wear it again so no, it's not silly at all. I still have one other dress I bought on my honeymoon. That one does not fit yet...but it will and I will wear it again.
  • hannahchipmunk
    Options
    I don't think it's a silly idea! Use it as motivation, but don't allow it to become too important to you. Fitting into a certain size or article of clothing doesn't define your happiness or success :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Hang it on your wall and use it as motivation.

Look at it everyday and say "I will get into you one day".

No waste!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I think that was a wonderful idea. May even try it myself.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Well there is this leather thong.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go overboard doing it, I think it can be motivating! I just bought a pair of jeans in the next size down. I can zip them up and button them, but they are too tight to wear right now but I know it's coming soon and that keeps me motivated! And I have an old pair of jeans that are my ultimate goal to get back into to!
  • shellie1206
    shellie1206 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nope..... hang it on your bathroom door or closet door as motivation!! You can do it!!! :happy:

For sure I do this and its helping me not give up :)