Going out for Mexican..Healthy Options?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, just use the veggies, some cheese and hold the sour cream. Stick with salsa instead. See if you can have celery sticks instead of the chips.
    YES..this!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    GMF, I wanna go to your Mex restaurant. Yum, that looks awesome.
    Eat where the Mexicans eat. :drinker:
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    gazpacho
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Skip whatever you can and still feel satisfied.

But otherwise order whatever you want and ask them to bring you a to container with your meal. Pack half your food away.

This is what I do in restaurants where I especially like the food. I wouldn't feel satisfied going to a Mexican place without having rice or refried beans, or sour cream, or guacamole. So I have it all -- just in a reasonable portion.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i usually pop for the fish tacos (provided they arent fried).
    usually comes with a nice spicy chimichuri sauce and some sort of fruit salsa (mango).

fish doesnt go well with cheese and sour cream and all that **** as far as im concerned, so i dont have a hard time avoiding it.

delicious, fair portion, and not all that bad for you.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG
    looks and sounds amazing sans chorizo
    It would probably remain pretty tasty sans the chorizo, but chorizo is like bacon -- it provides that extra bit of tastiness.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    gazpacho
    Great choice if you go to a Spanish restaurant.

At a Mexican joint, however, you could get a "coctel de camaron" -- Mexican version of shrimp cocktail. Shrimp swimming in a cold tomato-citrus juice blend with diced cucumber, onion, cilantro and avocado. Damn tasty.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    the mexicans i go to, using their calorie counters, burritos are fine - chicken is best and rice OR beans, or neither, lots of veg and salad, no cheese or cream and just some mild salsa and chillis if you like it spicy :)

enjoy!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat mexican once a week probably. everything is fine in moderation.

what I usually do is make sure I go on a run day or one that I've had a big calorie burn on and eat light all day before.

that way I can get my tacos and rice and chips and not feel guilty bc it fits into my day.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    How about Soup as an option? Caldo de Pollo (chicken soup) or Albondigas (meatball soup) sans the tortillas. I usually get one of these squeeze lots of lime and hot sauce and don't eat the tortillas or rice that usually come with it. Yummy!!!
  • jjmcahill
    jjmcahill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just went two weeks ago and tried something called Chicken Carnitias (sp?)...but basically it's like the chicken fajita filling/ no fajita (really good) and I skipped the rice but had the beans. I only ate 1/2 but did eat some chips and salsa. I think next time I will take the other posters suggestion of asking for black beans instead of refried.
  • shellie1206
    shellie1206 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with just the veggies salsa black beans I get all black beans no rice light on the sour cream and guacamole

Avoid chips and tortillas :) I rather do that so I can spoil myself with a margarita hehe
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Tequila! on the rocks. No lower grade than Don Julio Anjeo
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump for later !
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1. Just watch the portions!

2. Enjoy your meal :3

3. Cut out sodas and go for the water.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Taco salad, but don't eat the bowl or any bread/chips! Saves you a lot of calories.

At chipotle I get a salad no dressing. It's basically a burrito with no rice or tortilla.
  • hainla
    hainla Posts: 2
    Options
    Dietitian told me to get 2 soft shell chicken tacos without the shells, and a side of lettuce. Pour lots of salsa on top. If you must eat chips, only eat 10 and break them up into tiny pieces. You still get the crunch, but not a lot of calories if you only eat 10.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Charro Beans
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just went out for mexican today. It was torture but made myself stay away from the chips and queso.
  • Whooleeah
    Whooleeah Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow that looks absolutely scrumptious, have any idea how many calories that is?
    If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG