Running outside vs. on a treadmill

Options
beccci91
beccci91 Posts: 214
I have seen sooooooooo many people saying that they prefer running on a treadmill and find running outside really difficult but I find its the other way around.

Running outside is just so much easier (for me), you have the wind, the distractions and not too mention the other runners around you who all feel your pain!

Running on a treadmill is just hard, in a stuffy building, on a unchanging surface that just feels wrong and you have that dreaded timer right in front of your face!!

What are all your views?

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Hate the dreadmill, but own one and do it when I have to.

If I have to use it, I always do intervals for speed work otherwise I can't stand it.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Running outside is more physically demanding than running on the treadmill.

The treadmill is more difficult mentally, for me.
  • Memster1
    Memster1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Running on a treadmill has its benefits when running outside is not possible, however it does prove to be easier (for me at least) then running outdoors. The motorized tread assists with the motion that your body needs to make when running outside, and therefore is less straining then the real thing. This and the stuffy air and lack of scenery change bore the heck out of me.

Just my opinion of course.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have seen sooooooooo many people saying that they prefer running on a treadmill and find running outside really difficult but I find its the other way around.

Weird, I have noticed the opposite. Most prefer outside since the treadmill gets too boring.
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a strong distaste for the treadmill; it makes me feel like a guinea pig or a lab rat on it.

I greatly favor running outside in my neighboorhood. Personally, I enjoy the scenic route, the occasional wave from other passerbys, and just the opportunity to breathe some fresh air. Gyms stink and I don't like the idea of getting gulpfuls of humid workout air! :-\
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I use to think outside would be hard until I actually did it. Yes some days are indeed harder than others bc of weather etc but I find it easy now bc it goes so quick for me bc I enjoy being out there and can always change my course, scenery etc. The treadmill actually hurt my legs more and was god awful boring.
  • beccci91
    Options
    I have a strong distaste for the treadmill; it makes me feel like a guinea pig or a lab rat on it.

I greatly favor running outside in my neighboorhood. Personally, I enjoy the scenic route, the occasional wave from other passerbys, and just the opportunity to breathe some fresh air. Gyms stink and I don't like the idea of getting gulpfuls of humid workout air! :-\

Also the fact you need to PAY to run in a gym, whaaatttttt?! lol (I'm not a fan of having to pay to be healthy!)
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    The most I can do on the dreadmill is about 2 miles...that's pushing it. I get to bored on the TM. Like another poster said, if I have to do it, I'll do some speed intervals...mainly just to get off the stupid thing faster...:wink:
  • vive456
    vive456 Posts: 2
    Options
    There are many times when you simply can't go out and have a walk... maybe the whether is too hot or too cold outside... also not all the time, especially at night, you can not simply go out and walk, jog and run for practical reason (may not be true for everyone and everywhere)...

Apart from above reasons, i think, jogging outside is more natural and fulfilling and i think more productive also...

I think a combination of these two are best :)

Keep walking!!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like either. I prefer jogging on the spot...on the wii fit. Does that sound lazy? It's also partly because the only access I have to a treadmill is by going to the gym, which costs £3.60 and hour. I'm not a big runner (unless I'm late for the bus or work) but I do enjoy a good powerwalk outdoors.

I'm more of a cross-trainer/elliptical gal as opposed to a treadmill gal :smile:
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I LOVE trail running, like street running, tolerate treadmill running. They are decent for intervals though.
  • beccci91
    Options
    I LOVE trail running, like street running, tolerate treadmill running. They are decent for intervals though.

hill trail running or....? Trail running has always looked amazing to me
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do both. I am trying to improve my mph and I'm finding the treadmill is good for that. I go slower when I run outside, but I am far more distracted and my runs are easier for that reason.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

We are >>>here<<< on that! I love to run outside. You can increase your speed by running up hill or doing some hill sprints. I don't like treadmills, never have!
  • tobykang
    tobykang Posts: 24
    Options
    I live in Seattle so when the sun is out people take advantage of it and go running outside (you really have to!) but I still like running indoors. I do feel like running on a treadmill is harder on my knees/feet somewhat and I find it harder to run straight :\
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    I've only recently started running, and I've been doing it all outside. The breeze is nice, my dogs can go with me, fills my body full of yummy sun energy. It just feels so much better than running in the same spot.

That and if I do more than a brisk walk on a treadmill, I fall flat on my face... :laugh:
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    When I was struggling running outdoors because it did seem harder a runner friend of mine explained it to me like this "the treadmill pushes you to run, outdoors it's you who has to push yourself!" I don't know why but that statement alone made me want to run outside more, sort of like a "I can do it" moment! :)
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I was actually thinking about making a post like this the other day. I hate, hate, hate, hate the treadmill. I will only do it in desperate situations. I love running outside....I love the nice cool breeze, the different weather, the changing scenery, and the fact that I can run 5 miles out form my house and I know that I won't stop running (except for small walking breaks) until I'm back home. On a treadmill, I can just stop.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    I love them both! Running outside is more challenging but I can go longer because I'm not looking at the numbers. Running on the treadmill is more like training for me. I focus more on speed training. Both are great to me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I like to do interval work and a treadmill is best for that. Of course, I have to have access to a treadmill. Running outside in warm weather occasionally is pleasant, but I'm a bit self-conscious, concerned about safety at odd hours, and pavement is less forgiving than a treadmill.