Lower my cards, but keep my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• momtomanygirls
    momtomanygirls Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    lots of good things...

Nut Butters - Almond and sun butters are good. Peanut butter is a good source if you dont' have issues...the only thing is you do want to get them as clean as you can - if you have a Whole Foods near you they have where you can grind your own. if not look in the organic section for jars that have basically just the nuts listed as their ingrediate.

OH geez at first glance I thought this said Nutter butters... you know the cookies. I thought how is that going to help... *slaps head.

I thought the same thing. lol.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with 1Tbls of peanut butter every morning. I eat salmon most days for lunch and nuts with snacks. I try and stay under 100g carbs and between 100-150g of protein daily. I try to stay around 1600 cal.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Love the yolk ... just hate the cholesterol!
    Some doctors/scientists/researchers are now of the opinion that dietary cholesterol does not have much affect on LDL (bad) cholesterol. Others, of course, disagree... but you can do a quick Google and see which side is more compelling to you (assuming you would like to eat whole eggs).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, there are lots of little things that add up. I presume the beer is untouchable (it is for me), but there are some very simple things you can do.

1. Drop the Peter Pan peanut butter. REAL peanut butter has very little sugar in it. I know it's not a lot of difference, but you gotta start with good ingredients. Look for this trend in a lot of your food - the more processing and/or ingredients went in to making it, the more you'll have sugars and sodium to deal with in general. For peanut butter, the only ingredient should be "nuts". Maybe "salt" if you prefer the flavor, but then.. sodium.

2. Your diet suffers from the same problem mine once did (and still does from time to time) - lots of healthy components, not-so-great proportions.

Just take all the healthy-but-carb-y stuff and reduce it by a little, then increase the healthy-but-non-carb-y stuff.

I dropped a piece of fruit and added a "the other half" to the half of a turkey wrap in my daily lunch (I'm boring - I bag a lunch every day and eat the same thing). Sugars went down, protein went up, I got a lot less hungry on about the same calories.

I dropped the bagel with cream cheese and added oatmeal and an egg (still carb-y, but less sugar and more proteins). I'm considering refrigerator oatmeal for a more convenient meal on occasion.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My son needs to gain weight and we try to find somewhat healthy ways to help him gain. We mostly resorted to a lot of dairy to help in that department -- we use half and half on his cereal, with oatmeal or with fruit; whole milk to drink; full fat 4% cottage cheese; malted and half and half in his smoothies or shakes. Full strength real fruit juices. Also, as someone noted, nuts add up calories; put them on salads, add to your cooked veggies. Beans are a nice alternative for protein- good on salads and a heavy bean and meat chili can add up the calories. Mayo also boosts calories. Tuna salad with mayo, crab salad, egg salad, etc. Regarding eggs, unless you have a cholesterol problem, I agree that there is little evidence that dietary cholesterol affects your blood cholesterol levels. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is a good protein source with moderate calories, same with cottage cheese

It is, but it has 24g of carbs!! If you're trying to reduce carbs yogurt is not the best option. :ohwell:
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Love the yolk ... just hate the cholesterol!
    Some doctors/scientists/researchers are now of the opinion that dietary cholesterol does not have much affect on LDL (bad) cholesterol. Others, of course, disagree... but you can do a quick Google and see which side is more compelling to you (assuming you would like to eat whole eggs).

Because high BP and Cholesterol is a known problem in my family, so I monitor by sodium and cholesterol intake... But saving that... I am going to go back to eating two poached eggs on home made quinoa bread for my breakfast..
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    1. Drop the Peter Pan peanut butter. REAL peanut butter has very little sugar in it. I know it's not a lot of difference, but you gotta start with good ingredients. Look for this trend in a lot of your food - the more processing and/or ingredients went in to making it, the more you'll have sugars and sodium to deal with in general. For peanut butter, the only ingredient should be "nuts". Maybe "salt" if you prefer the flavor, but then.. sodium.

Just to defend myself a little here... the Peter Pan peanut butter was a one time deal.... don't normally eat peanut butter... even the REAL stuff... just don't really care for it.
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese. I love it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese. I love it.
    The man is trying to get his calories up , so surely full fat cottage cheese would make more sense.

Less carbs = more fat, at least until someone invents a 4th macronutrient.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Go to the Scooby Workshop site (fitness tools)and plug your numbers in, that should help you figure out your macros...not sure why you have your protein set at 15%, that seems kinda low~

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Good luck with your endeavors!
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    I just made myself a brunch style lunch... what do you think of the mix....

Publix - Naturally Hickory Smoked Lower Sodium Bacon Thick Sliced, 2 fried slices
    100 calories
    0 carbs
    8 fat
    8 protein
    60 cholesterol
    230 sodium (urg!)

Al Fresco - Country Style Breakfast Chicken Sausage, 1 link
    50 calories
    0 carbs
    3 fat
    6 protein
    30 cholesterol
    170 sodium (not bad)

Publix - Eggstirs, 1/2 cup
    60 calories
    2 carbs
    0 fat
    12 protein
    0 cholesterol
    230 sodium (don't like foods with 200+ cholesterol, but oh well.)

So, overall a meal with only 2 carbs... and 26 protein... just need to reduce the bloody sodium...