Exercise NAUSEA, HELP!

Options

Replies

• icapell
    icapell Posts: 2
    Options
    It might be your breathing. If you're holding your breathe during sets, for example, your diaphragm/ab muscles will tense up, and cause nausea. I have the same thing only less severe and that's what my doctor told me.

Also if you're doing intense running, it could be associated with "Runner's Diarrhea". In which case, my only advice is run shorter distances.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow, I always thought that eating would make it worse!
    I figured, on an empty stomach, there is no room for nausea or indigestion.

Definitely food for thought, I will try this out!

p.s. staying hydrated all day has helped a great deal, instead of gorging on two bottles of water during exercise.
    Hehe, nononono! Staying hydrated is definitely most important (the times I've tried to push through a workout without having enough water earlier, I felt like I was dying rather than just a little nauseated), but having eaten enough is super important especially during very intense workouts which I know you're doing. On an empty stomach, your body will be DYING for some carb/sugar/protein stores to tap into and convert to energy and when it can't find them, it's gonna make you feel very uncomfortable as a way of saying "FEED ME!!!"

edit: Just remember, for VERY intense cardio like Plyometrics, eating too soon before can work against you just based on the sheer madness of the motion you'll be performing (same principle as "don't eat 30 minutes before you go in the pool"). Tony would say have something substantial 1-2 hours before you bring it.

Thanks Hawkian!

That's exactly the problem - if you eat too much, too little, or at the inappropriate time then the bouts of nausea are inevitable. For Plyo I think I'll still do it on an empty stomach in the morning, but for anything else definitely after at least a protein rich snack an hour or so earlier, like you said!

Oh gosh, too little water REALLY is the worst. And it's not like you replenish immediately if you are dehydrated - so not drinking all day and chugging two bottles of water during your exercise will initially make it worse due to the large amount of liquid swirling around in your belly.
  • GabrielleZelda
    Options
    Idk what you eat before you work out, but that would be my suggestion as well. I don't drink a lot right before I work out, but I stay hydrated throughout the day. I know this sounds gross but low fat chocolate milk is a great way to get some nutrition in before a workout - cals, protein, etc. They have little bottle at Wal-Mart that are not bad in sugar and cals. :) And getting too few calories overall could be adding to the problem, I've had that happen to me before... :/

that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I definitely see how it would work since it contains all the essential nutrients your body needs to do intense exercise, all while keeping you hydrated!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you find the snack beforehand helps (and I'm on that team), also keep some juice on hand during your workout. If you feel nauseous during a workout, it could be due to low blood sugar. Juice is a quick way to get some sugar in your system and make you feel better. This sometimes happens to me despite my best intentions and juice helps. :)

I didn't look at your diary, but if you are only eating 1200 calories and doing an intense workout like P90X you probably need to eat more in general. :)<3
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was also having this problem with my evening bootcamp class. I would get nauseas if I didn't eat but felt like I would vomit if I ate 30 minutes before. The last 2 weeks I have been eating a PowerBar on the car ride home which is about 2 hours before my class with a glass of water. It has been working perfectly for me!
  • GabrielleZelda
    Options
    This is fantastic advice. I've been going about this diet all wrong, it seems!

I've always been under the impression than netting as close to zero as possible is the way to weight loss. Also, I thought that by exercising on an empty stomach your body will be forced to use the fuel that is already present in adipose tissue. This is what I've heard and read constantly, and I do find that it curbs my appetite as well, which is usually monstrous in the morning.

So what I usually assume, is that by eating before exercise, it sort of defeats the purpose. BUT if it leaves you feeling nauseated and faint through out the exercise, that can't be beneficial, either!

I will try and have a protein shake or something before a workout, hopefully this will solve the issue. Also, a few of you have said that eating after, works, as well. I suppose different meal times work better for some - I think I'll try to eat a little beforehand first.

Eating back the exercise calories is another issue to tackle - but I always feel as if it defeats the whole purpose of the diet. (I need to do a little more research on this)

Thank you all so much! I never imagined I would get so many helpful answers.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic advice. I've been going about this diet all wrong, it seems!

I've always been under the impression than netting as close to zero as possible is the way to weight loss. Also, I thought that by exercising on an empty stomach your body will be forced to use the fuel that is already present in adipose tissue. This is what I've heard and read constantly, and I do find that it curbs my appetite as well, which is usually monstrous in the morning.

When you set up this site you were already put at a calorie deficit to lose weight. That is why when you add exercise it tells you to eat more (your calories increase). You shouldn't have too large of a deficit because a body can't handle it constantly.

You don't need to workout to burn the same amount of calories you eat in a day... it will hurt you more than help you as you are noticing. Being naseus and not being able to exercise properly are caused (one cause) of not eating enough and not properly fueling your body. Eating too little for too long will decrease your metabolism making it harder to lose weight. With the amounts you are eating now you are pretty much leaving your body with nothing.

Eat your base calories and your exercise calories. You should be netting AT LEAST 1,200 calories per day if not a lot more due to the workouts you do.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hawkian!

That's exactly the problem - if you eat too much, too little, or at the inappropriate time then the bouts of nausea are inevitable. For Plyo I think I'll still do it on an empty stomach in the morning, but for anything else definitely after at least a protein rich snack an hour or so earlier, like you said!

Oh gosh, too little water REALLY is the worst. And it's not like you replenish immediately if you are dehydrated - so not drinking all day and chugging two bottles of water during your exercise will initially make it worse due to the large amount of liquid swirling around in your belly.
    Yep you're right of course. And really, you don't have to eat much for this purpose- just a little of something substantial (some carbs/sugars/protein!). I'd definitely try consciously doing it an hour before your intense workouts when you've got the chance, and see if it makes a difference. I can understand you not having time in the morning before Plyo of course- you ever hear of Shot Bloks? Lil 33 calorie cubes of tasty chewy gumminess with 4g of sugar and 8g of carbs. Not ideal but you could have one or two of those 10 minutes before a workout without having to worry about "eating too much too soon" and feel a difference in terms of nausea afterward. Even the chocolate milk suggestion (a few more calories, but who cares, you're burning like crazy every day ;)) is a great idea.

I bet you're on the right track with this stuff in mind now!
    How hard do you exercise? Nausea can be perfectly normal after a long bout of high intensity exercise. Try backing off the intensity a bit and see if that helps. Chronic cardio isn't good for the body anyway and will do more for eating away at muscle mass than fat mass.

And food is up to you. Some people like to exercise with food in the belly (I don't advise this if you are going to be doing high intensity cardio for more than a half hour because high intensity exercise stresses the body and your digestive system will shut down). Some like to exercise fasted. Some like to eat after, some don't. See what your body likes best.

I prefer not to eat right before or right after exercise. I think it defeats the purpose of using exercise to burn carbs/fat from storage. Think about it. If you eat before (takes about 2-3 hours for food to leave the stomach and about 5-6 hours for the digestion process to complete) then your body will be using what you just ate as fuel. If you eat after then your body will use what you just ate to replenish. With no food in your system your body will have no choice but to USE WHAT IS ALREADY THERE.
    Ooooh, I can't agree with much at all of this post O.O

Major points:
    1. Nausea "normal" after exercise? Errr. After a 5K or an all-day bike ride, maybe. After an hour of structured cardio? Nausea is much more likely to be an indicator of something wrong- either your body wants nutrition badly, you ate too soon before the workout and interfered with digestion, or you're not properly hydrated. I'd say nausea isn't necessary a BAD sign every time, but "normal" is not at all how I'd express it. Nausea is your body trying to get you to take some action, even if it's vomiting to get rid of toxins or removing yourself from an unsteady environment (like a rocking boat).

2. I think you're way off the mark about not eating beforehand if you're going to be working out for a long time. In fact, the longer and more intense the workout, the MORE important it is that you have something in you to burn! The fact that the digestive process slows while your cardiovascular systems are working hard during exercise is no reason to favor having no food in you at all, and you'll stimulate your metabolism during the workout too!

3. The last bit about "defeating the purpose," and "forcing your body to use what is already there"- these concepts are great if they work for you, but it's important you realize that what you're talking about is basically purely psychological. Especially in terms of losing weight- if you run a net caloric deficit you will lose weight, if you don't you won't. When you eat in terms of before or after a workout has comparatively little to do with this compared to what you eat, how often you eat, and how much you eat each time.

Furthermore, eating (or drinking, this is all I use protein shakes for) something high in protein quickly after a workout (no more than 1 hour, preferably within 30 mins) is demonstrably, scientifically proven effective for boosting muscle growth. :)
    I understand the logic of this and it's an EXTREMELY common thought (see my response to the similar claim above), but it sooo just doesn't work like that in practice.

Exercising curbs your appetite for sure, but it's doing so by slowing/deprioritizing your digestive system in relation to other body functions like respiration and circulation, regulating your body temp, etc. This is great if you're prone to overeating and need a way to avoid snacking on junk late in the day... but my dear, this is not your problem. ;)

You run great (many would say too wild) deficits every day. You don't need to concern yourself in the slightest with workout out on an empty stomach to "use the existing fuel." You're gonna be killing it no matter what with your diet and fitness routines, and frankly you might see more complete gains if you ate a little more in general ;) But as long as you don't feel weak/hungry, I won't push this aspect on you.
  • VoiceOfTrenton
    VoiceOfTrenton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been doing traditional Japanese Karate for about 22 years now, so I've fallen into a bit of a routine--hope what works for me helps you.

If I have a 5:30 or 6:00 workout, then I try to be done with lunch before 1:00. I don't have a heavy lunch on the days I work out, but I do try to make sure lunch has a good healthy dose of protein. If I start to feel hungry, a small snack like a handful of nuts and/or raisins goes a long way, and I do make sure I have water between lunch and workout, but I wait an hour after lunch to start drinking it so my stomach has a chance to work on lunch a bit first.

If you're fairly new to dieting and exercising like this, especially since P90X is kind of an "all over the map" approach to exercise, I suggest the following:

- A good helping of protein an hour before the workout
    - A glass of water just before starting
    - At least one water break every 30 minutes, even if it's just for a few sips

When you feel nausea, you may be pushing yourself too hard--back off on the intensity of what you are doing a little bit and cut yourself some slack. For me, if I get indigestion in a workout, I slow down and don't worry that I'm only doing 5 reps out of 10 because I know in a minute or two I'll be back up to 10/10 and not feel miserable.

Hope this is helpful to you. You definitely DO want to take in protein, carbs, and fat during weight loss, especially when combining it with an exercise regimen. The real key to losing weight is simply to keep an eye on portion control, percentages, and get enough sleep so you can recharge your body and your metabolism.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    great topic will have to finish reading later
  • Hawkian
    Options
    I've been doing traditional Japanese Karate for about 22 years now, so I've fallen into a bit of a routine--hope what works for me helps you.

If I have a 5:30 or 6:00 workout, then I try to be done with lunch before 1:00. I don't have a heavy lunch on the days I work out, but I do try to make sure lunch has a good healthy dose of protein. If I start to feel hungry, a small snack like a handful of nuts and/or raisins goes a long way, and I do make sure I have water between lunch and workout, but I wait an hour after lunch to start drinking it so my stomach has a chance to work on lunch a bit first.

If you're fairly new to dieting and exercising like this, especially since P90X is kind of an "all over the map" approach to exercise, I suggest the following:

When you feel nausea, you may be pushing yourself too hard--back off on the intensity of what you are doing a little bit and cut yourself some slack. For me, if I get indigestion in a workout, I slow down and don't worry that I'm only doing 5 reps out of 10 because I know in a minute or two I'll be back up to 10/10 and not feel miserable.

Hope this is helpful to you. You definitely DO want to take in protein, carbs, and fat during weight loss, especially when combining it with an exercise regimen. The real key to losing weight is simply to keep an eye on portion control, percentages, and get enough sleep so you can recharge your body and your metabolism.
    Great post! I'd add simply that P90X videos, to their credit, have multiple water breaks within their runtimes :D
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I meant chocolate milk might not sound appealing right before working out :) I think it's good too.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Why would that sound gross? Chocolate milk is delicioso

Exactly. Were it not for the calories, I'd have it all the time.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    This occasionally happens to me on days that I burn 800+ calories (i'm fairly small so it takes a lot for me to get to that number).

I'm pretty sure it probably has something to do with the stress hormones your body releases when you exercise intensely. Your body basically thinks it is fighting for its life when you exercise really hard, which is probably why you begin to feel nauseas. It is most like a bodily response.

You may need to step back from the intense exercise, lower the duration of the intensity and slowly increase it so that your body can get used to the extra stress.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, even a small SNACK should help. I have 4:45 am bootcamp class and on non-class days I try to get in P90X (also at 4:45 a.m.). This is the only morning time that works with my schedule, and I'm obviously not going to eat 1-2 hours ahead of time. Sometimes I can only eat a 1/2 of lowfat mozarella stick or 1/2 of a carton protein shake, but even that small amount cures my queasiness. One time I went to bootcamp (dehydrated from the previous night) and not one thing on my stomach and almost vomitted. NEVER again! I follow up with a homeade protein smoothie before heading to work.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I haven't felt nausous during a workout in a while now so thought I had the problem fixed. But yesterday while doing weights I felt it again. I worked through it, but I think the only thing left for me to try is intensity level. I definately was pushing my limits at the time....but it felt soooooo gooooood haha
  • Hawkian
    Options
    This occasionally happens to me on days that I burn 800+ calories (i'm fairly small so it takes a lot for me to get to that number).

I'm pretty sure it probably has something to do with the stress hormones your body releases when you exercise intensely. Your body basically thinks it is fighting for its life when you exercise really hard, which is probably why you begin to feel nauseas. It is most like a bodily response.

You may need to step back from the intense exercise, lower the duration of the intensity and slowly increase it so that your body can get used to the extra stress.

Stress-induced nausea is absolutely a real thing (I have a lot of experience with it myself :(...) but knowing a little more of Gabrielle's story, I don't think it's likely the culprit here.

She's already lost 70+lbs through diet and exercise, and she's been doing high-intensity, extreme caloric burns for quite some time. I think her body is quite fit and equipped for the typical intensity she's throwing at it (as yours obviously is too based on your awesome results megan ;) ) and the nausea is more likely to be indicative of something else (I've seen a few of her food diary logs, and... yeah).
    Sometimes I can only eat a 1/2 of lowfat mozarella stick or 1/2 of a carton protein shake, but even that small amount cures my queasiness. One time I went to bootcamp (dehydrated from the previous night) and not one thing on my stomach and almost vomitted. NEVER again! I follow up with a homeade protein smoothie before heading to work.
    All great steps. ;)
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    It happens to me every time we do sprints. I asked my MA instructor about it and he told me that if I don't get nauseous during sprints - I'm not putting enough effort. I just drink some ice cold water and get fresh air and the nausea goes away.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Not so much thinking its the food or lack thereof. Might be to much water intake as drinking to much water can also create nausea during or after an intense workout. I think I am going to suggest that OP you are just building up to much lactic acid from intense exercise which is normal for nausea, headaches, and fatigue. You can actually vomit from too much lactic acid in your body\stomach as this is another way your body can eject it and you will no longer feel sick or as sick. Good news is the more you work out the better and better your body can process it and metabolize it(pyruvate). For now make sure you take longer rests when you can and tone down your intensity until you get conditioned as your body will make less lactic acid at the same intesity or work loads, basically I am saying by doing this the less it will build up and the less it will effect you. :wink:
  • GabrielleZelda
    Options
    I'd definitely try consciously doing it an hour before your intense workouts when you've got the chance, and see if it makes a difference. I can understand you not having time in the morning before Plyo of course- you ever hear of Shot Bloks? Lil 33 calorie cubes of tasty chewy gumminess with 4g of sugar and 8g of carbs. Not ideal but you could have one or two of those 10 minutes before a workout without having to worry about "eating too much too soon" and feel a difference in terms of nausea afterward

Can't say I have heard of shot blocks, but they sound like a great idea! Someone suggested even something as meager as a banana could do the trick.
    I'd say nausea isn't necessary a BAD sign every time, but "normal" is not at all how I'd express it. Nausea is your body trying to get you to take some action, even if it's vomiting to get rid of toxins or removing yourself from an unsteady environment (like a rocking boat).

I guess you're right - I've just gotten so used to the nausea that I feel like it is pretty much expected! All it really does is slow down my workout, which is just bloody annoying. It's a very unpleasant feeling to be sick and nauseous on an empty stomach - I really thought, that by not eating before exercising this could be avoided but it clearly isn't working.
    The fact that the digestive process slows while your cardiovascular systems are working hard during exercise is no reason to favor having no food in you at all, and you'll stimulate your metabolism during the workout too!

THIS makes perfect sense to me. You only have so much energy to devote to each system. So by exercising, more energy is devoted to your cardiovascular and respiratory systems, while diverting away from others like your urinary system. I understand that your body automatically will look for the most efficient nutrient source - stored glycogen then triglycerides. I always figure that by avoiding recent glucose storage and conversion to glycogen, it would have to immediately extract from my fat stores.
    What I am doing DOES work, however the nausea, light headedness and pangs that come along with it are very unpleasant.

I really like the suggestion of protein shakes by the way. I definitely think this would be helpful, post workout! I find building muscle to be quite difficult so this should do the trick.

3. The last bit about "defeating the purpose," and "forcing your body to use what is already there"- these concepts are great if they work for you, but it's important you realize that what you're talking about is basically purely psychological.

You're completely right. I mean the process itself does work. But at the expense of your health if done over long periods of time.
    You run great (many would say too wild) deficits every day. You don't need to concern yourself in the slightest with workout out on an empty stomach to "use the existing fuel." You're gonna be killing it no matter what with your diet and fitness routines, and frankly you might see more complete gains if you ate a little more in general ;) But as long as you don't feel weak/hungry, I won't push this aspect on you.

Haha, WILD deficits. Well to be honest, I had to train myself for a LONG time to be able to eat so little. It doesn't affect me as much anymore. Plus, I am hypoglycemic so if I eat any less than I do it really affects me negatively so I can't drop any lower.

I am really realizing that there are other ways to trim down - if I can continue the workout I am doing, all while eliminating nausea AND eating more, why the hell wouldn't I? You're the best, Hawkian!

It's really just a general fear that eating more will suddenly make me balloon to 220 pounds again, that keeps me continuing the way I do!

Thanks again to everyone. ESPECIALLY you Hawkian, you have been NOTHING but incredibly sweet and helpful throughout my short stay at MFP so far. I will reciprocate anytime!