Running outside vs. on a treadmill

Options

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For me, RUNNING is easier on a treadmill because there is less impact on my knees and calves but I enjoy WALKING outside in the fresh air. Once I get my endurance up on the treadmill, I plan to work on running outside.

However, my gym isn't stuffy. There are big open windows and in the cardio room I use, there are less people so it feels really open.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I like running outdoors way more than the treadmil. But I have one and I like the fact that I know what speed I'm going and I am not able to get out and run like i want because of kids.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I prefer outdoors when I have a destination. I have started carrying a lightweight bag and running to the library to return a book or the pharmacy to get my son's prescriptions and then taking the long way home to increase the distance. It makes me feel like I've accomplished more.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Both are good for varies reasons but I believe running outside is better for you in long run...ha ha ha 'long run' ok but seriously everything I have read and experienced running outside is better.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Running outside provides the view and interaction with the environment. Nothing beats that!

However, running on the treadmill is good when running outside is not possible. It's also easier on the joints, as the surface is softer. You also don't have to deal with wind, weather, and other elements.

They do complement each other :)
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I prefer to run outside, whenever possible! I get stuck indoors in the winter...especially this last winter here in AK with its record snowfall! It is more challenging to run outdoors, but it is so much more rewarding, with the fresh air. I find it much more interactive, and comfortable then running on a treadmill...no aching arches!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill. I can go outside and easily run 5 miles, but ask me to do that on a treadmill and the most I'll get is like a mile and a half. The only thing I use the treadmill for is interval/speed workouts, but even that, I'll just time myself on a track outside. They're good for when you can't be outside or if you live in a dangerous area or something, but I'd much much rather be out in the fresh air, actually going somewhere with different people and things to see.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I hate the dreadmill! Love to run outside!
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I LOVE trail running, like street running, tolerate treadmill running. They are decent for intervals though.

hill trail running or....? Trail running has always looked amazing to me

Rolling terrain through the woods is my favourite kind, but I'll take any trail offered. It is amazing in my opinion, peaceful, natural, beautiful. I leave my ipod at home and listen to my surroundings.
  • lokistellarum
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. If I can't run outdoors that day I usually find something else to do just to avoid the treadmill. Running outdoors is much more interesting (even if I do get jealous of the marathon runners I see around my area. MOTIVATION!)
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Outside is harder. Harder ground, uneven ground, etc. You have to pay attention to every little thing around you. Inside is easier, if slightly more boring, and you know the exact pace you're keeping.

But my gym has a cardio theater with treadmills, so you can watch the latest movies on a big screen while running/walking. TIme tends to fly then. And if it's a movie with a killer soundtrack, it gets you pumped.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I LOVE trail running, like street running, tolerate treadmill running. They are decent for intervals though.

hill trail running or....? Trail running has always looked amazing to me

Rolling terrain through the woods is my favourite kind, but I'll take any trail offered. It is amazing in my opinion, peaceful, natural, beautiful. I leave my ipod at home and listen to my surroundings.

That does sound amazing <3
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Summer in Phoenix... I love the treadmill. Other times, I prefer to do it outside.
  • andymf85
    andymf85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the air circulation in gyms. Plus, I'm a Luddite and don't like using machines if I don't have to. Anything I can do outdoors, I will.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I started out on the treadmill I liked the controled environment our gym had TVs in that area so put on my music find a show and run run and run. I started running outside becouse it was more convenient that was a year or so ago think ive been on the tread mill maybe a dozen times since then. I love running outside even in the colder weather. You will not see me out there in the cold rain I can guarantee you that at least not on purpose.
  • JeffPerry67
    Options
    I ran on a treadmill all winter, doing 5k runs at least 2 to 3 times per week. It was ok, and I can't say that it bothered me that much. Our community had our outdoor track re-finished with a world class rubberized surface late last season and I was really looking forward to trying it out this year. I had run on it lots before the new surface and it bothered my knee quite a bit.

I am doing 2 to 3 runs every week outdoors now(on the new track) and I love it! I don't have to wear my knee support and i've even done a 10k run three times (taking my times from 1hr 3 minutes to 59 minutes to 56 minutes 30 seconds). My 5k runs have reduced in time from 30 minutes (treadmill time) to a best time of 26 minutes 29 seconds.

I much prefer to run outside and if I had the choice i'd do it all year! However, come late fall and winter, I will be back inside on the treadmill, but running faster times!!!! lol
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Outside is much better!! And more challenging due to the various different terrains and gradients. The treadmill is sooooo boring!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Running outside is more physically demanding than running on the treadmill.

The treadmill is more difficult mentally, for me.

I completely agree with this. I usually like to run outside in the morning around my neighborhood. I have lots of hills, so I feel like that gives me a better workout. When I go to the gym, I prefer the bikes if I'm doing cardio.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    LOVE the treadmill! I don't have to think and I can completely zone out. Sometimes I watch a movie, and if I want to finish the movie I have to stay on it. I also like to do various routines, like increase incline 1% each minute and then decrease. By the time you get to the top it is so hard, and each decrease feels like heaven. I can also get on it first thing in the the morning, without brushing teeth and hair etc. and just get it over with. Nobody has to see me.

It is easier than running outside which I like too, but you just have to push yourself harder. Lastly...you had better keep up or you will go flying off the back. When your outside you can just slow down.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Did my first run outside and really enjoyed it. Managed to run as long as I normally do inside but found it a little easier on my joints. x