Best FAT burner - Running, Walking, or Eliptical?

Options
What's everyone think? I wanted to start running, and had planned on the C25k program, but some people are telling me they didn't lose any weight running...

I NEED to lose pounds! So what's the best cardio exercise for dropping pounds????

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Diet
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I typically use the treadmill and eliptical for my cardio. I do a couple days on the treadmill walking on an incline, then switch to eliptical for a few days. It keeps me from getting too comfortable with a specific machine.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Running and elliptical are the best for fat burning. If you have bad knees like me, use the elliptical. It's way lower impact.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories running than anything else according to my Body Bugg...Zumba is usually second, and walking and Elliptical third.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You should do a mixture of cardio and strength training if you are purely looking for weight loss. 2 years ago I lost 60 pounds doing this and have recently lost 19... add that to healthy eating and you will lose pounds.

If you're purely looking at Cardio, you should get a heart rate monitor and work within the fat burning zone.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You should do a mixture of cardio and strength training if you are purely looking for weight loss. 2 years ago I lost 60 pounds doing this and have recently lost 19... add that to healthy eating and you will lose pounds.

If you're purely looking at Cardio, you should get a heart rate monitor and work within the fat burning zone.

THIS!

Lean muscle anaerobic exercise burns fat better than pure cardio/aerobic exercise. Alternate days with strength and cardio (not barbie weights, real weights) and you will see lbs and inches lost more efficiently than cardio alone - it can only go so far.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Diet

REALLY?!?! Nuh uh.... I had no idea!!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and run, run, run!
  • dawson555
    dawson555 Posts: 26
    Options
    Eliptical for me
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit, mixed with strength training. a caloric deficit with just cardio will lead to the loss of fat and muscle. If you incorporate heavy lifting strength training and adequate protein intake the majority of your loss will be fat.

To lose fat, cardio is not needed. Cardio does allow you to either have a larger deficit (larger is usually not better) or allows you to have the same deficit you can get from diet alone, but allows you to eat more.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ The BEST one is ... the one you LOVE doing ! ~
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    For me - it is running. I looked my best when I was running all the time.

I can't do the elliptical - makes my feet go numb.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Strength training!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    For me - it is running. I looked my best when I was running all the time.

I can't do the elliptical - makes my feet go numb.

Hey, the elliptical does that to me too, weird huh. I still do it once in awhile but I do it for shorter periods now! I think to lose the most weight it needs to be a combination of diet, cardio and strength training. Shake things up every few weeks so you don't get bored and so you keep your body guessing whats next!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Running, cycling and diet for me. I started off with fast walking, though, and it worked too.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started on the elliptical, then tried running until I hurt my knee (chalked that up to bad form). Then I went to the Cybex Arc Trainer, and now Im just road cycling 35 miles, 4 times a week.
  • Foxcyclops
    Foxcyclops Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the Elliptical & Treadmill both; I get a higher pulse rate with the Elliptical and the added advantage of working out my arms when my legs start to give out. Doesn’t’ replace strength training but that’s on the other days. Running nice but as you get older your joints appreciate you being kind to them. Just remember to consume less, eat healthier and burn more.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    strength training all the way.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do the C25k with weightlifting and you will burn a lot of fat fast. I hear a lot of people say they had knee problems running, I did too until I googled runners knee and stretches for runners. Now I run without a knee brace or anything. You will lose weight doing what you love the most because that will be the most intense!
  • janetmarisa
    janetmarisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running outside is the best cardio (just look out for th heat). Also weight training. I would do a set of weights and during the "breaks" in b/w my sets - I will do a set of jumping jacks or jump roping. Also, food intake is a big factor. Try to keep mostly to the fat burning foods such as lean meats (protein), whole grains, almonds, oatmeal, whey protein, veggies, eggs, etc.