Other veggie alternatives to salad?

Options
I have tried countless times but I really have an aversion to cold food and all forms of vinaigrette.

My main struggle daily is getting ample veggies (and fruits) in my diet. I usually end up steaming broccoli, kale or roasting asparagus,cauliflower for dinner.

Other than salad, what vegetables do you enjoy and how do you cook it?

Replies

• lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    bump to see the replies
    x
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like green beans and peas along with mixed veggies. I usually just get frozen ones and toss them in a bowl and microwave.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Any of the fresh frozen veggies. I like birds eye, they have no sodium.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Grilled sweet potatoes and top with cinnamon and honey
    Honey glazed carrots
    Grilled veggies- I usually mix onions, green beans and cauliflower with chopped garlic, salt and pepper
    Tomato Cucumber salad- combine 1 cucumber, 1-2 tomatoes, small onion, dill, salt, pepper, and light mayo. Delicious for summer
    Grilled corn on the cob
  • iamers
    iamers Posts: 74
    Options
    I usually have a huge portion of veggies with my dinner and I rarely eat salad. Check my diary out to see what I eat :smile:
  • hanlousmith
    Options
    Roasted butternut squash/peppers/courgettes/aubergine. Slice into chunks and put them on a baking tray with some garlic, then in the oven. Cooking time depends on the veg. They taste amazing with a bit of seasoning...my personal faves are cayenne pepper and corriander...and some low fat spray if you like, for roasting! :)
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    the best way i've found to take in veggies is to juice them!!! so awesome! you can literally eat 5 carrots 5 cucumbers 2 cups of greens 1 apple in like 2 seconds flat
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do a roasted veggies meal once a week and my family loves it! It is potatos, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Roast it in the oven and dinner is served! Plus the carbs are good carbs and full me for the next day for my workout!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Sauteed Spinach or Mushrooms are awesome....
  • stellapiano
    stellapiano Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like throwing just about anything into the oven with a touch of olive oil and salt. Broccoli is my favourite, but there's also asparagus, carrots, occasionally potato, and I even tried roasted edamame the other day (which was delicious).
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Grilled sweet potatoes and top with cinnamon and honey
    Honey glazed carrots
    Grilled veggies- I usually mix onions, green beans and cauliflower with chopped garlic, salt and pepper
    Tomato Cucumber salad- combine 1 cucumber, 1-2 tomatoes, small onion, dill, salt, pepper, and light mayo. Delicious for summer
    Grilled corn on the cob

This just made me insanely hungry! *tries to stay away from fridge* lol
  • Anelj
    Anelj Posts: 12
    Options
    I just had zucchini ribbons with meat sauce instead of pasta. I take a veggie peeler and make long thin strips of zucchini and then saute it in a bit of olive oil with salt and pepper and my favorite mrs dash seasoning. You can eat as a sidedish with anything really. Super yummy!
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Green beans cooked and tossed in a little butter with toasted, flaked almonds - good with fish
    Zuchinni / courgette cut into french frie shape and roasted in oil
    Grated raw carrot and chopped avocado tossed with a little lemon or lime juice and sesame oil with sesame seeds - with Asian food
    Maybe you'd prefer a coleslaw to a classic salad - very easy to make and low cal with light mayo
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? It can be a good way to eat vegetables. Cook them with them stock and then either liquidise them or leave them as they are. You can add cream, herbs, soy sauce, etc. to taste. Grated cheese on top if you want something more substantial.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob
    String beans, onion & small yellow potatoes
    Sauteed yellow squash & Onion
    Greek potatoes (cut up potatoes & onion, throw on a little evoo and your choice of seasoning, voila)

(Why yes, Vidalia's are in season, why do you ask?)
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stirfrys (with no oil, of course!), and soups, and I chop up as many veggies as I can and throw them in. I also love roasted just about anything (carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes). If you're BBQing, throw some big chunks of your favourite veggies in a tin-foil pouch (or pan if you have one) with a little olive oil and spice of your choice, and roast them with your meat.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Veggie pasta is a good option, also an old-fashioned stir fry! You can throw in everything in the fridge. I like mushrooms, carrots, brocolli, peppers, onions, zucchini and peas, but use your favourites. Just sautee with a little water, toss in a dash of soy sauce (low sodium) oyster sauce and sesame oil, serve over a small portion of whole grain rice! Much better than take-out and FULL of veggies :) OH and you meat-eaters might want to throw in some grilled chicken, we usually just fry an egg and toss that in for protein :)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For salads I add fresh ground flax powder (use a coffee grinder) and sometimes hemp protein powder then stir them into the salad. Not only does this add nutrition it adds flavor and is much more filling. Olive oil helps bind this all together.

If I'm not in the salad mood I will throw them into my Vitamix and make a green smoothie. I also have a juicer but prefer to take in the fiber as well as the juice. After little experimentation you will see what veggies taste good together this way.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some local fiddle heads and threw them in a pan with some Earth Balance margarine and fresh garlic. Makes a great side dish!
  • latinlady435
    latinlady435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas