OK.....I need good alternatives!!

Options
OK, here is my big dilemma! I get the munchies alot. I have found that V8 juice and cabbage are great alternatives that work well for me whenever I have that salty craving. However.....when it's a sweet tooth????? UGH! Nothing works. I've tried all kinds of things, like cinnamon toast, fruits.....etc, but only junk food makes the craving go away, so needless to say, I get derailed. I have also tried a mini workout to get my mind off of it, but that actually makes it worse! I don't know what to do!! Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually keep gum around. It helps a little for the sweet cravings.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wanted chocolate so badly tonight, and there was none in sight. Luckily, I had a stick of gum handy, and it did the trick. As much as I'd like to cut diet soda completely from my diet, diet Dr Pepper helps curb sweet cravings as well.

__

If you're actually wanting to nibble on something, try drizzling a bit of melted chocolate over some popcorn. The popcorn is low in calories, and you only need a little melted chocolate.
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    Sometimes gum does the trick for me as well. I'll also try some Crystal Light in water (double whammy as I'm getting more water...yeah!). Cottage cheese with vanilla and a little sweetener works for me as well (especially when I need something with a little substance).

Although, sometimes (to be totally honest) you just gotta give in.:grumble:

I know it seems crazy, but I find that if I put off the cravings by trying 500 different things, sometimes it just doesn't help and only a little chocolate or a little ice cream will do the trick. However, as you can see from my ticker, I'm only down 7 lbs, so this strategy may not work long-term (I've been at this game for almost a month now). :blushing:
  • tris82
    tris82 Posts: 3
    Options
    One of my favorite sweet alternatives is Greek yogurt with honey or splenda and pumpkin seeds. It give me a sweet and the salty all in one and is really good for you.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking diet drinks? I've always been addicted to diet coke... but the last week or so I've noticed that I don't want it, nor does it taste as good when I do drink it. I have to say I don't have near the desire to randomly eat as I used to when I was drinking it consistently. I think someone else posted about this as well... saying that diet coke basically CAN give you the munchies and make you crave sweet stuff (along with MORE diet coke).
    I will also say there is nothing wrong with giving in to something sweet... you just need to make sure, as with everything, that it's in moderation. It's amazing how my healthy eating and portion control has helped with control elsewhere. I can have just ONE cookie now.. and not 5... or 10 :laugh: It doesn't ruin you or mean that the whole day is a fail.
    I have found that the 100 calorie packs are good for this type of stuff as well. I have 100 calorie pack hostess chocolate cupcakes. I also have 100 calorie packs of some different types of cookies. They're great.

As another suggestion.. my mom used to freeze the light pudding cups and then kind of eat them like ice cream. Takes longer to eat them plus you get the sweet.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello with free cool whip its only like 20 cals for the whole thing
    rasins and carrots- careful with the rasins
    cottage cheese and mandarine oranges
    dark chocolate 100 cal bites
    coco almonds- 100 cal pack
    sweet freedom fudge bars- 45 cals
    As you can see I have a sweet tooth too!
  • tris82
    tris82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Also when you eat a small snack make sure to drink a couple glasses of cold water after it will help the craving for a while and make you feel full.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate, so when I get a sweet craving I have a Jell-o sugar free pudding. They're only 60 calories each and very low fat. They are also super yummy!
  • design_girl
    Options
    i love chocolate too and sweets too! my latest healthy sweet snack is faux fondu:
    1 chocolate pudding container
    fresh strawberries, raspberries, banana slices, etc.
    fondu fork for dipping
    have as much fruit as it takes to eat the pudding
  • patrice27
    Options
    one or two hersheys kisses
    unsweetened apple sauce, plain yougurt, splenda and cinammon
    atkins breakfast bars (almond cherry or choc. peanut butter) 150 cal, low carb +protein
    and the old standby- sugar free gelatin
    good luck!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I keep the little "fun size" hershey bars in my fridge door. 67 calories, kills the craving. I have one, sometimes 2. I log 'em in, do an extra 10 minutes on the elliptical if I gotta.

Life's too short to walk around miserable over a silly piece of chocolate. I'd rather just eat the &%^ thing, and then do something to earn it. :laugh:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Life's too short to walk around miserable over a silly piece of chocolate. I'd rather just eat the &%^ thing, and then do something to earn it. :laugh:

This is soo true!!! :drinker:
  • thinkthin79
    Options
    I've been MIA lately! I am committed to weight loss, just haven't had time for the internet :-( Anyway, I like the jello and pudding ideas! Not that the others aren't any good, but those seem like the most likely to work for me. I love gum....chew it all the time (I have a bad habit of chewing on my lip, and it keeps me from doing that) Thank you all so much for the advice!