Excerising In the Evenings Alone

Options
I'm finding hard to excerise in the evenings because I don't feel safe walking alone. I have a walking buddy but she lives across town and if I choose to travel across town for 25 min and 25 min back I could walk for 50 min in my own neighborhood, I just have to get over the fear of not feeling safe.:frown:

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Rottweilers make great walking buddies...as well as protection. Have you considered getting a dog?
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY understand this. 2 weeks ago a girl got stabbed across the street from my house. I went outside running at night ONCE before that and never again.

So I have a Playstation 3, I bought the things you need for the PS Move (the motion controller and camera) and got a dance game (Just Dance 3) and I LOVE it! Same with the Wii or XBox Kinect, has lots of different games that will make you sweat.

I also started doing Zumba classes twice a week with my friend. It's even fine to go alone (unless you have to walk in the dark to get there, i'm afraid of the dark actually!) since most of the other people at the class will probably be alone and in the same boat as you.

I've also started doing some exercises while watching tv, like sit-ups or squats or bicep curls, etc.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    You might want to consider investing in home work out DVD's. I have a situation where I can't walk where I live. Very curvy roads, fast cars and no sidewalks. Just a thought. Some people hate working out inside but this works for me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Exercising is not worth feeling unsafe. Gym? Home machine? Change of exercise schedule? Buddy in your neighborhood?
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't feel safe walking alone in the evening either, so I don't. Am I going to actually get attacked walking through my neighborhood? I hope not but I know that if I make plans to walk in the evening, theres a good chance I will make the excuse that it isn't safe and end up not doing anything that day. So I plan other exercises that I am comfortable with. Today I pushed my son in his stroller walking the park (50min). Sometimes my husband, son and I will walk after dinner together. Otherwise I do an at home workout video, get on the treadmill or go to a class. Its all about having options for me.
  • angel_eyez718
    angel_eyez718 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    that's super scary! Your safety is most important! are you able to do any workouts from home and save the walking for weekends during the day time?
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    I don't have a good neighborhood--sidewalk wise--to walk in ...so I am using yoga dvd's
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Try some of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's- You can go to CollageVideo.com and preview them beofre buying. You do them in the comfort of your own home and it does not take up a lot of space to do them. Not sure where you live but you can also get them at Target & Walmart stores-for days when you can't get out or have no one to walk with. Better to be safe! :smile:
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    Would mace help? I know it is a little silly, but I personally need to invest in some. I have been meaning to do so. I have been running alone on trails alot and other people have told me that I should and it is probably a good idea. A couple of times I have been out there when it started to get dark and I got scared. On a positive note....that is when I really got to practice speed! Haha.
  • mygrlz02
    mygrlz02 Posts: 32
    Options
    That's an awful feeling....I don't go out in the evenings either. I'm actually about to go for a walk during my lunch break at work and hope to make it to the gym tomorrow.
  • Slynderize
    Slynderize Posts: 25
    Options
    I use a home machine and exercise vids on Netflix. I plan on investing in gym membership next fall.
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I live on a busy country road with no sidewalks. I drive into town and walk around one of the nicer neighborhoods. I have met many people who are out working in their yards. It makes me feel safer doing it this way.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    How about a running track? Any schools nearby? I've never ever felt safe walking alone. I feel a little safer if im running, but I can usually find a track close by where I feel safer cause there's usually people around.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just found this and thought of you!

http://www.sears.ca/catalog/exercise-bikes-rowers/12589

Or even go on craigslist.com and look in the sporting section, I just found a bunch of bikes and steppers and ellipticals all for under 100$ each. If you have the room then it's a great option :)

(Yes this is what I've been doing at work all day hahaha)
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check your local schools, as a lot of them remain open until the evening hours and will let people walk the halls. Or walk at your local mall.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this! I hate going alone, especially at night! Have you tried workout DVDs? Maybe y'all could find somewhere to meet in the middle?
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i jog in place at home when i want to exercise in the evening. i have a dog but we don't go too far from home.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Rottweilers make great walking buddies...as well as protection. Have you considered getting a dog?

this ^^^^^
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I walk at a local park at 4:00 a.m. each morning. A border collie and a .45 are my walking companions. :o
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    Check out Leslie Sasone's walk at home videos DVDs. My neightborhood is not safe after dark either, and my dogs are too dang cute to provide much protection. Also, the mall is a good place to walk. I do this when the weather gets too hot for mid day workouts.