StrongLIfts 5x5

Options
I have seen people talk about this a couple times on here and I've also happened upon the website before.

But I really need y'all to give me some information about this. Is it legit? Have you gotten gains from this routine? The website seems really sketch...

Y'all let me know what you think!!!

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    shameless self bump!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Seriously.... no one??? :sad:
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do Starting Strength first.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do Starting Strength first.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a starting lifting program, it's a matter of preference between Starting Strength and SL 5x5. I would side with Starting Strength because I have more respect for the author but SL's is fine and I've read plenty of good things about it. Just keep in mind neither is a long-term solution, they are both limiting in the long-term.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a legit program, and many of us are having fantastic results with it. It is also free, which is a great price. That said, Mehdi, the guy who runs Stronglifts, writes like a slimy salesman. His aggressive marketing style is a real turn-off. Thankfully, you can use the program and never go back to the site again.

Besides Stronglifts, many people find similar results and enjoyment with Starting Strength or The New Rules of Lifting. The other two programs are books, which is why I, personally, gravitated to free Stronglifts. There are numerous websites and YouTube videos out there that can help you perfect your form once you pick a program. There are two Stronglifts groups here on MFP - one for women only and one for everyone. A groups search for "Stronglifts" should link you to them.

No matter what, you should pick the program that you think you will enjoy the most and begin lifting as soon as is reasonable. Those of us who lift heavy with compound lifts speak highly of it for a reason - most of us have never felt better in our lives.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 program is legit, as long as you are using an amount of wieght that requires you to work. Simply going through the motions with any weight routine is a waste of time.